Gambling?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by golemmaster, Aug 9, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. golemmaster

golemmaster New Member

Hello everybody again. I have started playing Arcanum with my character, and Im now at level 10 and in Tarant

Does it make sense to put points in gambling? I have invested 2 points in it so far and kinda regret it. Should have invested in lockpicking instead, since it seems to be much more usefull.

So should I just leave it at that and accept that ive wasted two character points or should I expand my gambling skills? Does it become a good way to make money later on? At the moment (2 points, and the first training grade (aprentice? I dont know how its called in the english version) ) its just to risky and something of a moneywaster.
    Sure you can always releoad when gambling fails but I dont want to do that t ofiten, feels kinda like cheating to me.

Oh and on what level will magnus finnaly rach mechanics level 3, I need that damn automatic dietrich already.

2. TimothyXL

TimothyXL New Member

Go ahead.

What do you need a (mechanical lvl 3:) trap springer (automatical dietrich, heh...) for?

Anyway, Gambling... well... you can use it to get a boat later in the game (saves you at least 20 000 gold or the time you need to finish Stringy Pete's quests/Stringy Pete himself) by gambling against sir Drake and winning back the Gypsie Shadow (might take a while of reloading). Also, at expert you can get items that shopkeepers wield. For that, you normally should get Haggle Mastery. But ti's your own choice after all.

And reloading is entirely fair. it's something like Fate points in that you can try as much as you like without any real effect.

3. golemmaster

golemmaster New Member

Hi :)

Thanks for your tipps.
    I am sorry, I meant not the trap thingy but the mechanical lockpick. I figured that it could be very useful since nobody in my group is good at lockpicking.

4. Maduk

Maduk New Member

Gambling isn't for money, it's for getting items for free. And for making sailors angry.

5. Gillsing

Gillsing New Member

When it comes to getting tons of free stuff, being able to rob stores while also keeping them running is the easiest way. For every item which you could gamble or haggle for, there's Fate Point-assisted pick pocketing. After all, how many items do you really want from NPCs? Can't be that many. And the mechanical lockpick isn't very good. It's just +10% instead of the usual +5%. Only getting better at Pick Lock is going to help significantly.

But whenever I'm done with my ogre mage, I think I'm going to try mastering Gamble, just to see what mastery quest I get. And also to have some fun with it. Much like I took the opportunity to have my half ogre learn Haggle, even though he doesn't really need it. He just used Dominate Will to make a shopkeeper in Ashbury hand over 11,000+ gold which he had in his inventory. So if you can get a technological method of hypnotizing someone, that may be a good way of stealing as well. Also used Unlocking Cantrip on the store container, which contains gold as long as one hasn't bartered with the store. That's what those tech store managers get for refusing to trade with a great mage! And what are they going to do about it? Complain to the guards? Ha! Feeble mortals...

6. TimothyXL

TimothyXL New Member

Gambling mastery? Boring.

Actually the gambling master quest kinda... Well...
    It isn't fun, it's just gambling a few thousands of gold from the gambling master (not counting your losses). At least the haggling master doesn't take your gold, if you have enough before meeting him.

And you're right, the auto skellie is only useful if you've got quite some skill in lockpicking already. If after 5 tries the lock isn't open, then it's not likely to work. But there's still the random variable.

7. golemmaster

golemmaster New Member

Will Companions use the lockpicks if I put them into their inventory?

8. TimothyXL

TimothyXL New Member

9. Gillsing

Gillsing New Member

Oh. I didn't know he'd use lockpicks. I do know that I need lockpicks to use on a locked door or container in order to get him to make an attempt. How can you even tell if Virgil uses lockpicks or not, what with the miniscule +5-10% bonus? Does he break lockpicks if he has them? I guess that'd show that he's using them.

Our Host!