Install problems

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Spoffler, Jun 18, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Spoffler

Spoffler New Member

there is a corrupt file or missing file, because every once in a while the installer comes up with an error saying to check arcanum.dat in the module folder that it exists, but i don't know how to fix it... any suggestions?

F:\Sierra\Arcanum\modules\arcanum.dat

is the actual file that says its corrupt..

i checked it and it's there, but it wont open..

Im pretty sure this was answered in a different post, but, the picture that solved everything is no longer there SOOO i could REALLY use some help

ive had an urge to play this game for about 3 months, and ive had it sense september 2001 (birthday)

2. Spoffler

Spoffler New Member

OK so i found a torrent and downloaded it. I opened the disc 1 file, started to installl, and lo and behold : instead of arcanum.dat missing, i have arcanum1.dat, arcanum2.dat, arcanum3.dat and vormantown.dat are all gone. so, i rebuff my cd(again), and i repair the game files that were installed from the torrent, and a dll error pops up. error 1334: mss32.dll cannot be blah blah blah blah. fatal error, repair fails. unfortunatly, im back to square one, and all i have is the two discs downloaded off of utorrent, an install disc that dosen't work and now unlimited time on my hands. to sum up, i have tried:

buffing the cd TWICE with toothpaste, but as there is no single scratch that seems to be destroying the file, that didn't work.

downloading both install and play discs of of a bit torrent. The installation worked, save that arcanum 1,2,3 and vormantown.dat are missing. I tried to play the game, but it crashes to the desktop before anything but a black screen appears

repairing that installed game with the CD, hoping that arcanum 1,2,3 and vormantown.dat are still on the disc and can be put into the installed folder by the arcanum installer, but that was a no go, a DLL had an error and setup exits.

prayer. nothing yet, but im a glass-is-half-full guy...

I have searched 20 pages of past history in ALL the boards and have found alot of people with the same problem as i have, to an extent. all their solutions are already posted, and have not worked for me, or they're the "it just works now, who can explain it LOL" or "o i figurd it out thanx i won't post how i did it but thanx" idiots...

please guys, i would really appreaceate any help. thanks

PS- ebay is the last place i will go to buy anything. PLEASE don't suggest ebay..

3. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I hate eBay with a burning passion.
    Anyway, the only solution I can begin to suggest is to find yourself a new set of Arcanum disks. As a last resort, go to Amazon and grab a used copy. There are only ten left, though, so the price is crazy (almost 56 dollars for a used copy), and they only ship to people in the US.
    Or, you could ask one of us to copy the missing .dat files, upload the copies to a file hosting website in a zip, and then give you a link.

4. Spoffler

Spoffler New Member

well i guess that could work, but i don't want to be one of those noobs that comes in and just takes and takes and takes...but i guess if one of you guys WERE to do that, who would i be to refuse the help? id need some screenshots of how the folders are supposed to be layed out, though..

5. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Oops, I kinda dropped the ball on that one. Here's the screen;

[​IMG]

The file is still uploading...That should be done in a bit. It's about 600 megs. Is your DL speed adequate?

6. Spoffler

Spoffler New Member

yeah it should be good, unless the construction guys knock the pole down again... but thanks.

Our Host!