Hypocrical Followers

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by darrenh2, Oct 5, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. darrenh2

darrenh2 New Member

My followers are such hypocrites, especially Dante!
    I got the quest to KILL the pigs in Ashbury - from the halfling farmer. The quest is to KILL, not remove, not scare away, not befriend but KILL the damn pigs.
    So I go into combat mode and attack a pig - all of the sudden almost everyone in my party says - "Stop attacking good people". So I stopped. My FOLLOWERS when on to ATTACK and KILL the pigs. Dante makes the killing blow on a pig and says "Stop this wanton slaughter before I have to stop you myself". So Dante (and the rest) kill the pigs and then tells me I've done slaughter???

2. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I wonder if people who say arcanum is "bugless" are reading this...

3. Zarathustra

Zarathustra New Member

Okay, that's not a bug, that's a stupid design decision. Good aligned followers are supposed to get pissed when you kill good aligned creatures and they're supposed to attack whatever you attacked until it's dead/destroyed. Would it have been 1,000,000x better if there were a way to call them off? Yes. But there's no scripting error there, everything works the way it's obstenibly supposed to.

And I never said Arcanum was bugless. But you talk like it's borderline unplayable or crashes every five minutes or something.

I dunno, maybe I'm just more tolerant of these sort of things. Due to some sort of stupid hardware incompatably, I had to reboot my computer every 20 minutes or so while playing Deus Ex. And I still beat the game twice.

4. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I invest alot of cash in consoles so I don't kile crashing. I had the do you want to quit thingy pop out every 10 seconds on my screen and noting helped to get rid of it. And also it was enough to loose alot of interest in the game

5. Rojo

Rojo New Member

Quit investing so much cash in consoles and spend some cash on half-decent computer equipment! :p

6. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

???? I have a geforce 3 256 ddr and a thunderbird 1.4 Is that decent enough for you?

7. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

He has just been release from the mental institute.

8. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

9. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

10. theshadow

theshadow New Member

it does not matter what your followers say, if you're alignment's good, they'll just say 'whatever' because its A.I. heck, don't bother with them sayings no more, just do what you think is right.

11. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

12. SquireJames

SquireJames New Member

Well, the weird scripting seems to result from the combination of 3 things:

1. Followers will attack what you are attacking.

2. You take alignment losses for what your followers kill (no dodging the issue by letting Sulik kill all the kids as in FO2).

3. Good followers hate it when your alignment goes down.

You can either tell all your guys to wait somewhere out of sight, or let the darn pigs live. Unless you're really hurting for quest XP, I'd let the pigs (and the rocks) stay right where they're at.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SquireJames on 2001-10-08 02:51 ]</font>

13. Badtz Maru

Badtz Maru New Member

Lucky you, there IS a way. Hit F5, your followers will disengage from whatever enemies they were fighting and go back to following you.

Learn to love your game's documentation.

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yeah, I'll second that. The difference between a good game and a great game is often the manual and documentation. Arcanum has a great manual and documentation. So did the Fallout series.

15. k.Diller

k.Diller New Member

Critical Followers

I'm still confused as to why my followers don't like me. I do all the quests, have a 63 alignment (leaning to the right on the dial, I hope this means good...), only attack what attacks me, pick flowers...

Even Virgil, who started off really liking me is now only neutral. What did I do?

16. dougkaye

dougkaye New Member

Try talking nice and being kind

The followers also respond to how you respond. When you get held up for money responding by "I prefer to beat your ugly body to a bloody corpse" or something like that, will not endear people to you (including followers). Fight if you have to, but be nice and give to the poor and you can keep Virgil at 70+.

17. LPhoenix

LPhoenix New Member

Talking nice and killing the pigs....

1. Tell your party to WAIT out of pig sight, and kill the blasted things, then invite them back. You still get a alignment hit for killing the pigs but no reaction hit on your followers.

2. DO NOT ATTACK THE PIGS! Tell your party to attack them, they'll happilly comply and won't complain about it. You still get the alignment hit but once again no reaction change.

The problem with followers is WHO attacked WHO. Meaning if you threaten some FIRST or attack them FIRST or even in some instances provoque them to attack you, it will hit your followers reaction because it changes the way they see you. If you have good aligned followers with you, they're following you because they like the way you behave and react to others. They assume you will always be polite and take the rightfull aproach and never slaughter any inocents (or seen by them has inocents). On the other hand you can tell them to attack pretty much anything and they'll happily comply and won't complain about it... there are some exceptions but I'll leave you to find them :smile: Just make sure YOU DO NOT HIT whatever it is you told them to attack and all will be well, you can aparently use spells like Congel Time, Hasten and Tempus Fugit, and probably some others, but no direct damage or damage over time spells.

18. timtom

timtom New Member

In my current (and first) game, Mr. Shalefist's not only Mr. Moral Superiority, it turns out he's also Mr. Animal Rights Activist. My ½-Elf techie-diplo-sniper has an alignment in the high 90's, but MS still views my character, the estimeed J.B.Lowecroft, as a somewhat shady character. It all started turning sour when JB liberated that patch of cabbage from those pigs in Ashbury. Thank that Gods for Dwarven snuff. But it was in the banishing of that demon in Caladon that Mr.Shalefist finally lost his temper with JB. Said Mr. Shalefist loudly proclaimed his displeasure with the actions undertaken against Vincent, the possesed Elf, and promptly sided with same in the ensuing fight. See, even Demons have rights!

Our Host!