What is wrong with the body of fire spell?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Muro, Jun 10, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I've used the search function and I found few topics in which someone have asked already this question, but there never was a good answer. Those topics also were quite old, everyone had several years, so maybe now there is someone who is able to give an answer to this problem.

OK, so the problem is that the body of fire spells costs 10 fatigue per 10 seconds, while body of water/earth/air costs only 2 per 10 sec. I firstly thought that it's only a mistake in the description, but I've checked it with the Virgil the pervert module and amused realised, that it is how it really works.
    So, to make it easier, I'll cut the problem into few questions:

1) Is this a bug? Or is the body of fire so superior as a spell, that it takes the most fatigue per 10 sec from all spells in Arcanum, that is 5 times more than body of a/e/w? (For me it eamed to be a bug, but, if it would be one, would the 10/10 be both in the game mechanics and in the game's spell description)

2) If it's not a but, what makes it so superior?

3) If it's a but, is it fixed in the 1.0.7.4 patch?

4) If not, is there some kind of fanmade fix to it?

2. Langolier

Langolier Member

As I recall using Body of Fire basically gives you the power of a Fire Elemental, and if you've fought enough of those things then you know how nasty they can be. I'm not 100% positive though because I've never used it myself.

3. Grusewittz

Grusewittz New Member

This spell IS superior, because in fact you ARE fire elemental in this form - which includes damages for any opponent in meele fight, his armour, and weapon. And without penalties from other elemental forms, i.e, slow earth elementals, or weak attack for air elementals.

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I've checked it and it doesn't really give you the benifits of a fire elemental. I've done it by comparing my stats when I have "body of fire" spell on me, and the stats of a summoned fire elemental, both spells cast with 100 MA.
    So, when I have the body of fire spell on myself, I am forced to take off ALL of my equipment (so no weapon, no shield, no armor, etc), and in exchange I get 0% damage resistance (!), zero armor class (!), 0% magic resistance, 95% in poison resistance and fire resistance (at least something) and 8% in electrical resistance (a bit odd). Now, lets compared it with the summoned fire elemental. Can't check his armor class, but the other things: he has got 30% damage resistance (compared to my 0% when "on fire"), 0% magic resistance (liky my 0%), and 100% in fire resistance (compared to my 95%), 100% poison resistance (compared to my 95%) and 100% electrical resistance (compared to my pathetic 8%).
    It's completely not like a fire elemental. The body of fire doesnt give any melle bonus, so for a pure mkage it won't help in melee fight, and it leaves him naked, with no weapon, with 0% damage resistance and 0 armor class. I not only don't see a reason why call this spell uber, but I don't se a reason to not call it total crap, suitable only for suicides, masochists and fire elemental fetishists.

Our Host!