Fallout 3 Teaser

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mori, Jun 5, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I'm not gonna whine about the teaser because I think that it's pretty good on it's own merit.

I will however say, that there is absolutely no hope of a good Fallout 3. What we are looking at here is Oblivion with guns, or a real shock.

2. Mori

Mori New Member

I'm one of the few people who love Fallout and also expect Fallout 3 to be enjoyable. I'm hoping it'll be isometric and turn based, but if it isn't I'll still enjoy it. STALKER was fun. I'm also one of the few people who enjoyed oblivion, by y'know, not giving up on the game and internally deciding to not enjoy it solely based on an inadvisable quest compass, and saw that it did actually have quite a lot of depth and was good game (better than Morrowind, which I also loved).

With Oblivion people crucified the game based on some sins that morrowind shared (every quest amounting to fetch and carry or kill) and a large UI. Otherwise it's a great game, people just chose to intentionally not enjoy it.

From the looks of things, the raving mad fallout community has decided to suicide bomb bethesda regardless of what is released. They've waited 10 years for a proper sequel and have basically turned from wine to vinegar in that time. Since bethesda, with their massive sin of making Oblivion, are making it, they've doubled their resolute efforts to antihype themselves into depression, rage and suicide. :p

I have successfully managed to enjoy pretty much every half-decent game that has ever come out, by not expecting the game to be the next heroin. People need to relax, and focus on the enjoyable aspects of the game.

People stereotype those who enjoy games like oblivion as ADD console kiddies. I loved Oblivion, and I was enjoying games like Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment when I was 10 or so. Some games do better in some aspects of play, it's a fact of life. I like Fallout and I like Bethesda games, they've nailed the style so I think I'll enjoy the game. I'm not worried.

3. JustaFishInaJar

JustaFishInaJar New Member

You should really take the time to play that game to the end. It might surprise you that it sucks alot more than you think it does.

4. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

It all depends on how seriously you treat your games. If you're a hardcore addict to some title, say Alien, you could not stand but to vomit when you saw alien vs predator... Or FOBOS if you loved Fallout. This goes for anything.

I for one loved Fallout, spent countless hours playing it and was heavily involved in the community, but Tactics and FOBOS just took the flare out. Nowadays I just mingle with the people on IRC.

In any case, Oblivion and Morrowind represent everything Fallout was not. It would be like driving a Focus thinking you're in a Subaru. Sure, it will get you to your destination but it doesn't really cut it.

5. Mori

Mori New Member

I dunno though, I first played fallout 2 pretty recently. I guess I haven't got the bizarre nostalgia yet. It was a great game but it did get boring after a couple of playthroughs.

6. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

You take that back. You take that back right now!

7. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Oh man. Total screw up.
    Going to Terra Arcanum, the place where everyone worships Troika and their game and say sometihng like "Troika game aint that good".
    That like suicide man. I think it would be qualified as suicide, especially since we have severel guys (two?) with weapons, and they know how to use them!
    Suicide I say.

8. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Two in the military, but I think most of the rest are armed anyway. So saying something like that about Fallout is not a good idea.

9. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the back room, sharpening my butcher knifes, cutting myself, and tracing Mori's IP address....

Yes, I'm kidding

10. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

What are you talking about? That he said FO 2 did got boring? Troika had very little to do with FO 2. The original designs were Tim's but they never really got used. Besides that, only 3 people from Troika were involved with FO, albeit most important ones. Jason Anderson, Leonard Boyarski and Tim Cain.
    Btw, FO3 will be a multi platform game, PC, 360 and PS 3. Bye-Bye turn-based and isometric... Not that that's a surprise, we knew that when Beth bought the license.

11. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Wait a minute - Is Fallout 1 or 2 done in isometric? If so, how does the artwork compare to Arcanum's?

12. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Aye... I would say fallout, even though the resolution is lower. One of the reasons is that fallout has more varied artwork, character animation was better in FO as well, especially the death animations. (gets a flashback of someone receiving a full blast of AP ammo to the chest) and it was released like 8 years before Arcanum.

Both manage to convey their settings quite well though.

13. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Yea, it finally occured to me to go look for screenshots and get an idea and boy did I ever. From those I've located a couple signs, some boxes, and boulders that I can manipulate into scenery.

I would like to make a request of the next person to play Fallout: I would love to get a clear screenshot of this tent - as in unobstructed - as well as one that opens on the left side. Please?

http://www.juegomania.org/FalloutFa.../2954_t/Foto+FalloutFallout+2:+Dual+Jewel.jpg

14. Mori

Mori New Member

Fallout had awesome character animation, but Arcanum has a lot more character models. Arcanum has some gruesome death animations, but they've got nothing on Fallout. I loved both games, I just said they got boring after the first few times you do the story, because there isn't the massive variety of character types that there is in Arcanum.

15. mathboy

mathboy New Member

You said you liked Oblivion, but gave absolutely no reasons for it, could you give me a couple, so I can at least try to take you seriously.

16. JustaFishInaJar

JustaFishInaJar New Member

I like that Oblivion rhymes with moblivion. Oh look look something shiny*swims away*.

17. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

The teaser did everything that it was meant to... namely show people something slick and shiny with no real substance regarding the game itself. Me personally I liked dare even enjoyed it but I'm withholding judgemant untill I start seeing actual ingame footage, whilst I would dearly love it to be turn/iso, I know it aint gonna happen any other way but real/first. I'm praying it will be along the veins of VtMB (atmosphere, DIALOGUE etc) style and not the oft (and I fear/expect apt) quoted "Oblivion with guns".

18. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

That movie used the in game engine, BTW.

19. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Tycho at Penny Arcade had this to say about Fallout 3:
    I'm aware that Brotherhood of Steel sucked balls, and people are just up in arms because they game won't be just like it was 8 years ago. WELL GUESS WHAT LOSERS, IT NEVER WILL BE. Technical advances and creator changes will change any game. Just because it won't be in isometric perspective doesn't mean it won't be a good game. I'm going to withhold complete judgment until I actually buy the game. Hell, even if the exact same team worked on a sequel 10 years later, the game would be different people people, tastes, and technology change.

20. mathboy

mathboy New Member

Philes, did you play Oblivion? If you did, do you realize that the same people who made that game are going to make this one?

And what technical advances are you talking about?

Fallout 3

[​IMG]

Our Host!