what did you like about Arcanum

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by grandaddy, Apr 26, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. grandaddy

grandaddy New Member

what do you like about arcanum and what do you think makes it special

for me it was the "open planned" style and that you had to travel to a location not just go through a door way and have the game load up the next area also you could if you were board you could go on a rampage and kill evryone causeing you to screw up the story and basicaly you could do pretty well anything you wanted

offtopic: if you made a player with all of the magic spells and all of the tech stuff would he or she be nutral tech magic bias?

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Pretty much what you described. The dialogue and the fact that choices have consequences. It's not like NWN2 in which you're basically railroaded from start to finish.

There's no way you could acquire *all* spells and technological disciplines/skills on any one character (unless you use the patch that removes the level cap, but I can't be bothered to do the math). Anyway, even if you did, most of your spells would be useless due to the crippled aptitude.

Some spells, such as the first spell of each elemental school, are unaffected by aptitude though.

3. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Could also be possible through the use of the save game editor.

4. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

5. Dark Elf

Media:
    Oh, what the hell...

Tech Skills: Firearms, Pick Locks, Disarm Trap, Repair = 20 character points = 100 Aptitude.

Tech Disciplines: 8 x 7 = 56 character points = 280 Aptitude

TOTAL TECH APTITUDE = 380*

Magick Spells: 16 x 5 = 80 character points = 400 Aptitude.

*However, tech skills give aptitude at a rate of 5-6-5-6 (or is it 6-5-6-5...? Whatever). But to acquire full bars in all tech skills you need to spend 76 character points, half of which being 38, meaning that:

TOTAL TECH APTITUDE = 418

TOTAL MAGICK APTITUDE = 400

6. grandaddy

grandaddy New Member

i agree in the NWN series you were forced to go down a particular path but the graphics are good

if only we could do a arcanum mod...

7. Dark Elf

Media:
    I'm sorry for coming off as a grumpy old Codexer, but neat little shiny graphics pale compared to decent gameplay. Of course, I wouldn't mind good graphics in a game with meaningful choices and consequences, but when it's apparent that they've ditched the essentials in favor of TEH GRAFIX (like, for instance, Oblivion) it simply doesn't rock my boat.

if only we could do a arcanum mod...[/quote]

I'm in the planning stages of one. The chance that I'll ever finish it, even with the fairly modest scope I've planned for it, is probably less than 5%, but hey, at least I'm working on it!

8. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

9. grandaddy

grandaddy New Member

graphics are not evrything a game with good graphics and a crap story or impossable gameplay will not work where as arcanum with its now dated graphics is still played because of its brillien story

the first NWN was the first 3D rpg i played and i enjoyed the change form static birds eye camara to 3rd person but with the better graphics it lost some of the rpg thing (i dont know how to put it into words) meaning that you had one ending no matter what and no choics that would effect you sutch as in fallout 1 you had about 150 days to fix the water chip but if you found the merchent that increased by about 70 but later on in the game where you have to stop the mutents in 500 days it would be reduced to 400 because you told the merchents were vault 13 was

10. Dark Elf

Media:
    Yes, choices and consequences, what separates real RPG's from stuff like ProgressQuest.

11. Slaughter

Slaughter New Member

Greeting to all of those that dwell within the House of Lords. My name's Slaughter, and I'm new here!

The Atmosphere, no doubt. I love that '1800 with magic and elves and orcs' feeling. Arcanum has a original atmosphere, not the generic 'Elves and orcs on Medieval Age with no originality whatsoever'

12. Langolier

Langolier Member

I like Arcanum for all of the reasons listed above. The atmosphere, the freedom, the gameplay; everything. I don't think I'll ever have Arcanum removed from my computer. As of late I've been hooked on Oblivion myself. It's not quite as broad in it's choices as Arcanum is, but it is a reasonable substitute for the time being. It does at least give me the hope that another game like Arcanum could be made on a next-gen system.

13. Dark Elf

Media:
    My main gripe with Oblivion is that choices rarely have consequences.
    (like, you become the head of the mage guild yet the academy battlemages still greet you as the guild's latest recruit etc). I also heard that there is a thieves guild quest where you must steal the archmage's staff - even if you are the archmage! You didn't even have the staff before - it magically appears in your room at the academy when you accept the quest!

14. Madness

Madness New Member

I loved the go anywhere kill anyone feel just the reason why I love Fallout

Our Host!