With what character did you actually finish the game?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Mercury, Dec 26, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Mercury

Mercury New Member

Yes, yes, we all know of the curse of Arcanum. Only the Chosen Character will finish Arcanum. For each dozen of those that failed, only a few came to an end.

Which was yours?

Personally Im playing a gnomish persuader with a few ranks in haggling. He also focuses on firearms and dabbles in technology. He has a huge chance of being the Chosen One because of his diversity. With other characters I maxed out their primary function which left nothing to look forward to on leveling. However, I already want to restart with the same gnome but who inclined towards magick. But no, I WILL finish it this time.

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

I always finished the game. :p

3. Solaris

Solaris New Member

I've almost always finished the game. Most often, though, with one of the following:

Halfling gunslinger (good)

Dwarf tech archer (good)

Elf battlemage (good)

Elf spellcaster (good)

Gnome spellcaster (evil)

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    The only characters I've actually finished the game with were:

Half-Ogre Battlemage

Elf Mage/Archer (Good)

Elf Warrior (Good)

Elf Mage (Evil)

All were charismatic persuaders. The Elven Warrior even had a 21 Beauty. :)

5. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I've started about thirty different characters, and I finished the game four times. Well, technically, since I started and then scrapped those other characters, I've only played about ten.
    My first playthrough was Gilliam Flintheel, a dwarven technologist (neutral character).
    Then Pinky Wellington, a male human technologist who was a veritable saint.
    I then did an evil female elf mage named Emerald Quan'Dlyn, and finally Cain Marko, THE JUGGERNAUT!! Evil, of course. Wow, that was fun. When I first made the background, the only character I let into my party was the dog. Everyone else who could speak...well, let's just say they fell silent.

6. bakkal

bakkal New Member

I've tried a lot of character types, and almost all races (no halflings here, sir), but for some reason, I only had the patience to finish the game with elven mages : /. Though I think I managed to get this one half-ogre warrior (just warrior... 22 STR, 20 CON not much EVRTHNGELSE) into the void.

7. Xz

I've played it through as a techie with each race and as a mage with each race. In addition to a few times with other characters.

8. Langolier

Langolier Member

I think the first time I finished the game it was a with a good-hearted technologist/gunslinger. Pyrotechnic armor and an elephant gun were his weapons, and several followers if I remember correctly. Since them I've beat it with a few magical or technological melee fighters too. Usually I start over before I reach the end.

9. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

I've completed it with every character I made, apart from the first one...I think. It's lost in the mists of time but I think the first time I played I got stuck at Shrouded Hills bridge for ages (die...reload...die...) with my weakling techie. When I eventually got past them, I didn't know where to go in Tarant. This was the final straw and I think I gave up.

Other than that my characters have either been human or gnome diplomats, angelic, slightly tech. I keep meaning to try an evil elven mage but it never feels right.

10. Xz

With my Dwarven mage, I almost gave up on that, but I reloaded and invested in persuasion. :p

11. Krazilid

Krazilid New Member

I've finished a few times, mostly with a half elf mage/battlemage... Not sure why, but i seem to find a lot of fun playing them.

Never played with the small chars though (halfling, gnome, dwarf). I might try a gnome, but i can't get over a certain quest.

Playing a tech half ogre with chukka and sogg all with pyro axe is pretty fun though :lol:

12. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Right now I'm playing an elven mage with Harm, Purity of Water, Hardened Hands and Weaken, maxed out Necromantic Good and maxed out Conveyance. I'm also a master in persuasion and I hoard followers.

I'm level 29 or 30 (can't remember), and I'm just about to start doing the quests for Stringy Pete to get his boat. I started out evil, but it just didn't feel right, so I switched sides. And I have every intention of completing the game with this one. :p

After that, I'm gonna play a techie dwarf who's gonna only have dwarf followers. Whee.

13. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Nice. I'd like to make my own followers to start out. Since I already know the story and the quests I like to do, I wouldn't miss much.
    I'd like to try running a feral tribe of half-orcs through Arcanum.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The fisrs person that I finished the game with was a human gun techie and a doctor.

15. AlisonWonderland

AlisonWonderland New Member

I've had the game for maybe a month? Anyways, I've only beaten it twice, once with a female elf archer and then with a male half-elf thief. Both were good, and both had super high charisma early on--I like followers :]

16. SirGarrickStout

SirGarrickStout New Member

The first time finish this one little jewel i used a technologist. A very hardcore one. And yes, it was quite hard since i weren´t that munch into character building/munchkinism yet.(hard in a metaphoric sense, since nothing is really hard for Sir Garrick, master skewerer). After that a botched a half-orc fighter(very good) and a elven wizard(WAY TOO GOOD). Then CAR-Arcanum cames, and i, once again returned as piddly technologist, but didn´t made it to the end, sadly. (But it wasn´t for lack of my almost omnipotent skills, of course). That was about 3-4 years ago.

But then recently, I re-started playing, this time as a thief. And yes, i did managed to beat it. (of course, it´s about me we´re talking!!!) Backstabbing is quite impressive, i feel compelled to say.
    And now im playin again at polished car-arcanum, let´s see what is coming out of this....

17. Virgil_Brummond

Virgil_Brummond New Member

The first time I beat the game was with a human assassin named Entreri. He started out as pure killer. (Melee Dodge Prowl Backstab) But eventually I got him into magick, and by the end of the game he had 20 strength. I would like to see anyone top this guy even with an elf mage. (he was so overpowered the game got boring) I took kerghan one on one (ez cuz hes way weak someone needs to fix that in a patch) Ive never made a guy quite as strong as him. He had meta and force spells to block magic and damage, as well as harm. 20 str 20 dex 18 per and 5 ranks to melee dodge prowling and backstab. But I dont remember exactly so dont yell at me if i got his stats wrong.

oh and im not bragging. I would brag if i had a guy that beat the void at lv 1. :D

18. SirGarrickStout

SirGarrickStout New Member

I totally agree with Virgil here, the day that I made my thief was the day I made my STRONGEST character.

He was pretty much like virgil´s but he didn´t had PER, he had phantasm to cover for prowling and give him insane AC. And in regards to magic, fire1 for overpowered agility of fire and divination4 to cover for spot traps; force 1 to cover for light armor and, of course dweomer shield for spellcasters. And I totally agree, NOTHING tops the magic backstabbing thief.

19. pixie

pixie New Member

I beat the game with a goodish, persuasive halfing thief. Master melee, dodge, backstab, pick locks, pick pocket and persuasion. I also had a few tech things like Molotov Cocktails through my tech skills wasn't too high, it was still low enough for virgil's heals to work.

20. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Welcome to the forum, pixie.

Our Host!