uncustomizable PC?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by zioburosky13, Jan 25, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. zioburosky13

zioburosky13 New Member

While doing a word-search on google,

I found this

"Characters: You get only one PC in Arcanum, whose personality you can develop in one of several directions by choosing different conversational options. Unfortunately, he or she is otherwise completely uncustomizable--there are only one female action sprite and three male ones in the entire game (this goes for all PCs, NPCs, and map characters), and you cannot so much as change the color of your character's hair. Those old gold-box D&D games did better than this, man. Somebody also did a painfully half-assed job on the NPCs--only some of them have voices, for instance, so some of your NPCs will have audio and others won't! There is also disappointingly little interaction any of your NPCs can have with anyone or anything in the game."

Change the color of the hair? :eek:

2. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

So, Fallout was a horrible RPG because you could only put an armor on yourself and goodbye.

Really, I hate this fashion barbie doll thing in recent games. Change the hair color? Why??? It's about 20x20 pixel and it will disappear the first time you find a helmet.

Not all NPCs have audio??? Yeah, unfortunately Troika games didn't have another few billion dollars to hire more voice actors, and didn't want the game to be shipped on 10 CDs.

3. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Reading that made me spit out a wad of beef jerky. I fucking love beef jerky.

4. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

5. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

Why was Morrowind listed at the bottom with the other "recommendations?" You can't get much more distinct between RPG types than these two games, aside from their large, sandbox-style worlds.

6. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    More so than any fucking other game.

Not that I care that much, and he's completely fucking wrong. I count five male sprites (elf, humanblood, half-ogre, halfing/gnome, dwarf) and there are several sprites (including female gnomes and halflings) for NPC's.

Whereas the Gold Box games had full voice acting on every NPC and complete character customization down to every square inch of skin?

Oblivion's got full voice acting and limitless opportunities to customize your character's appearance, and it sucks.

*sharpens sword*

7. mathboy

mathboy New Member

Why would anyone want a pointlessly customisable PC? Sure not being able to customise him is not good, but I've heard some new games have advanced superficial face generators, and they're FPS's so you're sure you won't ever see the face you create (don't worry, the NPC's don't care about it either). There's something really wrong when games like that are praised by gamers and in reviews for it.

8. Madness

Madness New Member

What? Noncostumizable character?? What about the choce of race, gender, skills, alighnment, and armour? Does that mean anything?

9. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Nope, they want customizable hair length and color, ear size and foot size.

10. Grossenschwamm

And genital size. God knows the writer has a chubby for digital cock.
    According to their logic, how can you tell if it's a man or a woman if there's not three feet of testosterone soaked salami impaling passers-by?

11. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Only if there isn't a public outcry over the fact that the otherwise violent bloodbath game suggest that the characters might have genitals.

12. Grossenschwamm

Well since there's already an established brothel in the game, and there's an orgy that your character can take part in if you so choose...I find it hard to believe that genitalia aren't already implied.
    I think that making the distinction even easier would satisfy the moron enough to change his mind.

13. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Thank god power-hungry politicians didn't found out Arcanum is soooo morally questionable (By the way, I hate what they did to GTA. That 1 year difference between M and AO rating is so fucking huge).

14. Madness

Madness New Member

But you never get to take off your pants anyways... There might be a big buldge... Well unless you get a mod... *shudder*

15. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

What do you think rroyo's being doing?

16. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

*Hears name - looks around - calculating smile - turns back to WorldEd*

17. Solaris

Solaris New Member

What *I*'ve found lacking in Arcanum is the very limited flexibility in the choices of bows (especially tech bows), magical thrown weapons and jewelry. I'd love to see a Charged Bow with electrical damage, a few crossbows (both tech and magic) with slower rate of fire, but higher damage and TH bonus, stackable thrown knives, axes and javelins and a wider range of medallions and rings.

18. Grossenschwamm

Your criticism is well founded and is pertinent to a part of the gameplay.
    The initial "bitch quote" was a superficial complaint about the PC's appearance. The douche who wrote it obviously never played past the crash site, if that.

19. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

While browsing I found the website of this idiot once more:

http://www.angelfire.com/hero/tjekanefir/games.htm

20. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    That guy is so dead.

Our Host!