HELP ME! - the portal - luring the beasties...

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by bigjohn, Oct 2, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. bigjohn

bigjohn New Member

How does one lure the beasties one by one away from the portal? I killed the 3 'advance' lizard guys - the ones who were a distance away from the portal.

What I'm doing now is making Magnus and Virgil wait near the corpse, and then I'm moving slowly toward the portal until I can see those jellyfish dudes floating on the left edge of my screen... problem is if I move closer and hit one with HARM, I get 3 of them plus a lizzard or 2 chase after me. I run back to virgil and Magnus, but they are too much for us. Virgil and I are level 14, Magnus level 10....

HELP!

2. Edythe

Edythe New Member

If you get close enough to see the portal, and have the magic trap in a quick slot, just use it on the portal. You can be quite far away as long as you can see it. I also found that if you go up (North) from the corpse and then West so that you are "above" the portal you are less likely to be spotted. - Edythe

3. bigjohn

bigjohn New Member

I want to lure the beasties away one at a time so I can kill them for the exp.

4. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Yeah, I had that idea too, but I think the beasties respawn after a very short period, so you'll never be able to kill them all. On the plus side, you could just stand there killing and killing and killing as long as you can take it and rack up a fair old total of XP.

When I wanted to use the trap, I took my clothes off (I always do this when prowling) and crept bare-buff as close as I could around the trees to the southeast of the portal. I was still quite a distance away when I used the trap.

You don't have to have the trap in a quick slot, but it may help you experiment as you close the distance to the portal.

When you shut the portal, all the monsters die.

BTW, this reminds me, does anyone know if you can use the magical traps in other situations or are they only quest objects? I was wondering if I could wipe the spells of mages with them.

5. Zarathustra

Zarathustra New Member

Supposedly, as bigjohn said, you can lure the void creatures away from the portal one at a time and keep offing them for massive experience. Eventually, they're supposed to stop respawning, but you still get a truckload of levels. I tried this once, and had absolutely zero luck.

In most of my games, I don't bother with this type of thing. If I really want ten levels before I'm really supposed to have them, I'll just use an editor and spare myself the tedium.

6. bigjohn

bigjohn New Member

did it!

What you have to do is really make your followers wait to the right of the corpse.

Then slowly move a bit left until you see the baddies. then a little closer. when one moves toward you, run like hell and when you're near your followers (just about on the corpse) put it to turn mode.

The problem is that those jellyfish dudes will wreck your armor. I did this for 2 levels, then closed the trap for another one and a half... If your followers are waiting far away, you get all the experience for the kills.

7. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Hey bigjohn, that's pretty much identical to the way I tackled them, since I wasn't powerful enough at the time to take the group.

Those buggers are hard, aren't they?

I'd never bother editing my char like Zarathrustra. I reckon it's a slippery slope to spoiling the game for yourself once you have started that kind of thing.

Just hanging out and leveling is different. It's got its own built-in safety mechanism - boredom :grin:

8. cruden

cruden New Member

stupid question but where is the f***ing portal. Liam could give a map or something because I couldn't find it

9. Shadowman

Shadowman New Member

witchblade

Just follow the path in the forest from Liam's cabin.

10. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Its shaded in brown soiled tiles.

11. BlueDEvil

BlueDEvil New Member

Move SW from the entrance of the cabin should put you on the path.

12. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Our Host!