Race dialogs

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Krazilid, Jan 3, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Krazilid

Krazilid New Member

After having/playing the game for 1+ years, i finally started playing a gnome. (They didn't really appeal to me)

I talked to the guy in Shrouded hills about bessie toones mine (It's her son, forgot his name). Thier was a dialog about Gnomes not being good assasins or somethign like that. I was pleasently surprised since it was the first time i've ever heard him say something like that.

Just wondering if any of you have heard something race specific from a NPC that was intresting/funny.

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

I played as a dark elf once, (Modified a save game to change the race) and I got a lot of "dialog file missing" errors.

3. Mercury

Mercury New Member

One prostitue at Madam Lil's will comment on your race when you tell her that you have a lot of rage in yourself. As a gnome she told me that my race has the bigest pressure of all due to family requirements of being rich and successful.

Also, when I was playing a human I had an option to ask Pettibone if she was happy to be a prize wife for a gnome. But as a gnome I didnt get that option.

4. Krazilid

Krazilid New Member

Just got to Gilbert Bates. Normlaly with my other chars i had the options to say brenner looked like a gnome. But as a gnome i could only choose something like: "He was ugly for a gnome, he looked more like a dwarf."

Figures that a gnome would think they look better then a dwarf. :/

5. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

Make a half-orc and talk to Bates about the conditions of the working "man" and you'll have the option to piss him off royally in a matter of sentences.

6. Krazilid

Krazilid New Member

Is it anything special? I think i could say things that piss him off as a half-orc/human/half-elf. I know he specifically calls me a half-orc, but the diolog that you choose see to be the same.

7. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

Don't know how different it is for a half-orc, sadly, but you should get more emotions going if you do the Communist Agitator thing while a half-orc yourself. At least I had fun arguing the Donn Throg side of things with him, long before the Half-Orc Revolt. (During my first meeting with Bates, actually.)

Now that you mention it, I must get a non-HO character debating the merits of industrialism with Bates just to make sure.

8. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Race-specific dialogues are actually plentiful.

Thorwald will not join you if you are a gnome, I believe, because the option for it starts with you saying "Are you a dwarf or a gnome?" implying that being a gnome is insulting. Gnomes don't get this option, obviously.

The guards of Quintarra warn you to behave if you are a dwarf, and go all touchy-feely on you if you are a halfling.

As a half-ogre, when people don't like you and refuse to talk to you, you get an option to persuade them by emphasising your combat prowess. This option, as far as I recall, does not exist for Elves, gnomes, dwarves or halflings.

The Elven gravestone quest for Cassandra Pettibone: if you are an Elf, you can bypass the Elves guarding the entrance to the dungeon by claiming that you came to help them protect the burial site of your people. All other races have to fight them.

During the Bessie Toone quest in Shrouded Hills, not only gnomes, but halflings also get the option of saying that "halflings aren't known to be feared killers".

9. Krazilid

Krazilid New Member

Don't know how different it is for a half-orc, sadly, but you should get more emotions going if you do the Communist Agitator thing while a half-orc yourself. At least I had fun arguing the Donn Throg side of things with him, long before the Half-Orc Revolt. (During my first meeting with Bates, actually.)

How did you managed to talk with donn Throg before the half-orc revolt? I've only seen him during it. (Unless you mean bates and i'm just reading it wrong.)

Nice input Solaris. :)

I've seen a few of those before such as the elven gravestone quest as an elf. Hm... offtopic but when you convice the dark elves that you are not with that man and he gives you a time before he attacks, could you go down, take the gravestone and get back out again and away before he attacks? I've always just killed him and never tried.

The halfing thing seems wield, i thought they were good at backstab and prowling? Woudlnt' that make them good assasins? :p

10. Solaris

Solaris New Member

I don't remember really, but I think they will attack you on your way out if you are carrying the gravestone.

Oh and another thing. Loghaire Thunderstone, the Wheel Clan king, acknowledges your race when you mention the dwarven philosophy of Stone and Shape. He says something like "What would you know of such things? You aren't even a dwarf!"- unless you are a dwarf, in which case he agrees that you might know a thing or two after all.

Ahh but what if they need to go for the throat?

11. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

Sorry for any confusion. No, I actually meant talking to Bates (in our first meeting) and taking the same viewpoint as D.T. (later) uses, i.e. half-orcs aren't mindless slaves only useful for backbreaking manual labour and whatnot. I was amazed at how easy it was to piss Gil off in just a few lines of that rhetoric, though admittedly I've never tried it with another character so perhaps he's just that easily aroused.

12. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

He is. You can be any race and take the side of the half orcs while talking to Bates, and it'll really piss him off.

Our Host!