Bugged Bank Robbery?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Mote, Oct 1, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Mote

Mote New Member

I've recently restarted the game for the 5th or 6th time (tech, no magick, no tech, no magick...). This time I've decided it should be quite entertaining to be an evil s.o.b.

After foiling the bank robbery for Doc Roberts, I've accepted the deal from the half orc to steal the payroll. I went to the bank the next day and killed the Banker to get the key. However, as soon as I loot the payroll the villagers run away screaming and the guards kill me. If I leave the bank after having killed the Banker I can continue on as usual, therefore the act of killing the Banker went unnoticed. If the act of looting the payroll is what makes Shrouded Hills hate me, how is it possible to complete this quest?

Thanks!

Mote
    Currently: "Fylo" Lvl5 Halfling Street Orphin

2. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Go to:

http://arcanum.netfirms.com/Others/Quests/1059.shtml
    http://arcanum.netfirms.com/Others/Quests/1060.shtml

...for quest walkhthrough about this.

BTW, welcome to the forum Mote! :smile:

3. Mote

Mote New Member

Wow. Thank you very much for the timely reply. However after having read the spoilers you directed me to, I am still unable to see what've I've done out of place...

...Hmm, perhaps I need to rat on Jacob first, then kill the banker and loot the payroll...

4. Zarathustra

Zarathustra New Member

Despite what experimentation may have told you, I think it *is* killing the teller that's messing you up. You probably got lucky the one time and none of the guards noticed. If you really want to off her, your best bet is to do the deed quickly, grab the key, loot the safe, and run down to the door (but don't leave yet). Wait until you aren't in anyone's line of site, then dash south at full speed until you get the world map icon. Then waste time for a day or two (sleep, wander around the forest, whatever), and when you get back into town, no one will know of your dirty deed.

Alternatively (and perhaps preferably), wait inside the bank until midnight or so when the teller goes to sleep. Then pick her pocket for the key (you can do this with just about 100% success rate even with no pickpocket skill provided she's unconscious), and then just waltz into the back room and grab the loot.

5. Mote

Mote New Member

Ah yes. I think I will try both of your ideas to see how they play out :smile:

I haven't enjoyed a crpg as much as Arcanum since I first picked up SSI's Pool Of Radiance for my old C64 :smile:

6. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Ah, yes! Pool of Radiance was such a cool game, and Curse of the Azure Bonds, too.

Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe it's ennui, but there seems to be something about the old games that the new RPG's lack.

7. Xtzchild

Xtzchild New Member

where

where can i find "Pool of Radiance" and Curse of the Azure Bonds?
    i really want to check it

8. Sheriff Fatman

9. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Haven't I mention this already? Don't kill the teller, okay? Pick pocket the teller for the key and get the combination from Jacob through pick pocket too.

10. Rojo

Rojo New Member

Anyone ran into this?

I keep the bank from being robbed, and complete the quest for Doc Rob. Later, I pickpocket the guy at the inn for the safe combination. I prowl into the bank, pickpocket the teller for the key, get in, get the cash, get out, no one notices. They all still praise me for whacking the bank robbers. Later on, at the bridge gates, Doc is there with two guards, and he KNOWS that I robbed the bank! What. the. hell? A sly one he is.

11. Zarathustra

Zarathustra New Member

Yes, but you didn''t mention it in this thread, and I apparently suck at linking to old threads.

12. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Thank you so much for asking this. I hope you have the save file. I now have something to add to my walkthrough.

Remember about the ones at Jacob. If you didn't kill Jacob or never rat on him, he will tell Doc Roberts about you robbing the bank.

13. Mote

Mote New Member

Unfortunately I had to restore from an earlier save and go about pick pocketing the Banker then robbing the payroll. After which I hurriedly ran over to Doc Roberts and ratted out Jacob. I just wanted to be particularly evil and kill the Banker, take the money, and run for the bridge, never to return to Shrouded Hills. Oh well, no game is truly limitless although Arcanum comes quite close.

About those SSI gold box games: If you have a Future Shop, Office Place, Business Depot, or Staples, (even Walmart) they often have these re-released gold box games. I recently picked up Pool Of Radiance and Hillsfar (packaged together) for $7.99. Come to think of it, I also grabbed BG2 for $17.99 which really surprised me.

Mote

14. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

This are not all the quest at Shrouded Hills. Gaylin's quest takes time and there's this other quest to find Grandpa whoever.

15. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Here's how to rob the bank without any thieving skills.

First off, go talk to Jacob, get the quest off him. Talk to Doc Roberts, tell him about Jacob, then get the quest to help him stop the bank robbers.

Meet Doc outside the bank, and SAVE IT!!! This is very crucial, because what happens next changes all the time. Talk to Doc, and go inside. Now, the teller usually opens up the back room door. Sometimes she runs in, sometimes she doesn't. If she runs in, follow her, open the safe and take the cash, and follow her back out. If she opens the door, but then runs away to fight the robbers, reload it until she actually goes into the back room, because she hides in there like a pansy until the robbers are dead. Voila, you have another 500 gold, the town loves you and you get the reward from Doc Roberts. Everyone (appears) to have one - in reality it's only you MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Sorry, couldn't resist that :smile:.

16. dine

dine New Member

Yea, I had the problem with Doc Roberts being at the gate ... still do, I don't want to restart, but my characters aren't strong enough to kill him , so I think I ahve to restart. (Bloody hell)

17. Sheriff Fatman

How to rob the bank without thieving

You can also rob the bank without thieving and without the need for the save/reload. Here's how:

Foil the bank robbery as usual. Don't worry of the teller doesn't go into the back room.

Make the deal with Jacob to get the combination.

Advance the time until night. Go into the bank and stand near the back room. Advance the time another 2 hours, so that the teller goes to bed.

Use dynamite on the door, or just bust it down. You'd think it'd wake everyone up, but it doesn't. I was prowling when I did it, but I had no prowling skill. However, make sure there are no guards in the vicinity when you blow the door, because they are ALREADY awake and will come slap you about :wink:

Go in and get the money from the safe.

Exit the bank when there is noone about to see you.

Grass on Jacob to the Doc, or go give Jacob his share of the loot - your choice, depending on whether you believe there should be honour amongst thieves.

I did this and never had a problem. If only the situation with poor li'l Hervor had an equally satisfying result. His crumpled body just looked so small ...

18. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

19. theshadow

theshadow New Member

rob the bank successfully, if you don't have teleportation spell, doc roberts'll be waiting for you at the bridge. you'll get caught, otherwise, so don't bother doing that quest.

20. dine

dine New Member

No, i've robbed the bank succesfully in all my other games, I think you just have to make sure it's night or her knows, unles syou rat on Jacob maybe ...

Our Host!