So I'm gathering as much followers as I can

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Oracle, Sep 25, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Oracle

Oracle Member

Hi all

After finishing Planescape Torment, it was time to replay arcanum again. I this run I'm going to gather as much followers as I can.

So far these are my members

Virgil
    Sogg mead mug
    Magnus
    Gar
    Dante (free)
    Geoffrey tarellond-ashe
    Dog (free)
    Chukka
    Jormund (free)
    Tullo (free)

I'm always trying to get followers to join when I'm the same lv as they are. I'm lv 20 now.

Are there anymore free followers that can join me? or glitches that causes them to join me and never leave like Tullo? Are there any items that gives me + max followers ?

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Nope, sorry, there are only 4 free followers,

Or wair, is the dwarf on the Island of Despair free?

3. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

I was going to do that but the game was lagging horribly in cities like tarant. I was considering that might be a car arcanum problem.

Are you playing vanilla arcanum?

4. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

thorvald is free.

Dog is free

Dante is free

Jormund is free

Tollo is (practically) free

Swyft is free

Cynthia boggs is free

I know I'm missing several others.

5. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Swyft will follow you around as long as you don't drop her off at Tarant.

6. Oracle

Oracle Member

i'm playing patched vanilla arcanum.

Cynthia boggs left me when I arrived on the main land again.

Swyft doesnt always stay with you. She leave when you get in Tarrant or when it takes to long for you to arrive in Tarrant.

Murgo is free as well but he leaves you when the quest is over.

7. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

I always had to kill her to get her to leave, i don't think she liked the teleport spell.

8. Oracle

Oracle Member

So far I not having any sorts of lag. But my laptop is pretty powerfull :)

Why did you have to Kill Cynthia? you could have deleverd her to the amazones if you wasn't via boat

9. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

it must be vanilla arcanum being more forgiving then.

How powerful is the lap top? I'm using an old 1.8 Ghz processor with only a gigabyte of ram I admit but that is still way more than the game specs.

10. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Sounds like your patch didn't take. City lag after an hour of game play is a common snag in the unpatched version.

11. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

unpatched? i wonder if car arcanum would have worked if the patch didn't take. I do have to say that the patch seemed pretty idiot proof when i exectuted it.

12. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Yes, but not Zebulin proof.
    I'd just back up anything you find pertinent in your arcanum saves, and just re-install the patch.

13. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

is a straightforward re- patching of the game even possible when using car arcanum?

14. Grossenschwamm

No. That's why it's a good idea to back up your valuables. My personal method (though it may just be the only way I've tried) is to completely uninstall Arcanum and Car Arcanum, re-install Arcanum, get the patch, install it, then re-install Car Arcanum, and put your saves back into the main Arcanum directory.
    Seeing as how uneccessary most of that seems, has anyone got a better way?

15. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

so i shouldn't use the copy of the patch I already have but should download it fresh from somewhere else? Isn't our download section still broken?

in any event I tried your method and I got a game that would just flash the loading please wait screen for a second before dropping back to desktop without the slightest indication that the game had even been started.

It also gave me an intimidating "cannot locate Vormantown.dat" abort retry fail? message as I was installing it from my disks.

I vaguely rememeber getting the same message when I first played the game and now I wonder if perhaps I used the 'fix' utility on the disk to make it playable and in the process partially "unpatched" my game. If so I'm at a complete loss as to how to fix my game. as it is I'm not even sure I can get it running again.

*edit*

Phew!

The problem appears to have come from my having installed arcanum originally with both disks in a separate cd drive at the same time. This was somehow causing the missing file error messages upon installl and the repair that fixed it apparently interrferred with the patching of the game.

But WOW I can hardly believe how slick movment is now. what an incredible change. There is not only no hint of lag whatsoever now but the characters movmenet is so fast it almsot seems sped up like when you play an old early nineties dos game on a new machine.

Thanks for the advice! I should find my huge group of followers much more playable now!

16. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

Do you know if it would have been easy for chris to fix it in car arcanum so that she leaves your group and wont rejoin if you go to various locations that aren't tarant?

I'm not having any luck retaining swyft as a "free" follower in my current car arcanum game. If I go to tarant via teleport or walking right in or train or whatever she thanks me and leaves the group but if i go to any other locations she warns me to change course towards tarant a couple of times and then leaves the group after which she refuses to even talk to me.

No matter what I do it seems she leaves the group. Was there a bug that had her stay with the group only if certain conditions were met?

17. Grossenschwamm

Swyft is a bug in and of herself. She wouldn't leave my party even if I went straight to Tarant. She thanked me, and all, but never left.
    Though, having said that, I don't know how it helps your particular situation.
    Then again, this could be the start of a bug in which she never leaves...I never really tried to keep her, though.

18. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

hrmm my working theory then is that Swyft remains if the game senses the player wants her to go away and she leaves when it sense the player wants to keep her.

19. Grossenschwamm

:lol:
    Wow...If only that was true. I tried it again, and she left, bug free, about four times. She stayed once (in my retry).
    Then, I killed her after having finished the quest on my sixth go. I still got the experience and the completed quest message, so I figured, "No harm no foul."
    Guess again! I went back to Qintarra, and her mother found me and said, "What have you done with my daughter?"
    "I killed her."
    Fighting ensued, and it resulted in me killing everyone in Qintarra. Yes, it was fun, but it made things a bit difficult in procuring Waromon.

20. Oracle

Oracle Member

I teleported her to Tarant. When I teleported back (after visiting sevel other places) swyft was back thanking me for bringing her to Tarrant.

Our Host!