I had a somewhat... Strange dream

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hellbokos, Aug 31, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Man, somebody is getting all uppity around here, eh?

2. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

I wonder, how long did it take you to find the WorldEd Manual, given it's something I actually mention in Part 4 of Amtut and strongly encourage any serious modder to read?

Of course it was. Amtut was designed for the complete beginner to Arcanum modding where-as the WorldEd Manual is a resource. Resource books are incredibly useful, provided you know how to use them. All Amtut did was tell you how to use them.

No, you didn't. I'm confused as to why you'd think you did. If we go back up, we can see quite clearly that you "thought it was shite". I find it odd that you can find shite so helpful. Considering it's what pointed you to "finding" the WorldEd Manual and the editdocs (I bet that was a big day for you when you "discovered" those).

What story? Amtut is all about building houses and making scenery. There's no story involved. Again though, you said yourself that you found it all quite helpful, so it can hardly be shite now, can it? If the way I explained things was so poor, why would you want me to finish Amtut as you urged me to do in your PM? Clearly you seem to be some kind of brilliant Arcanum modder who's more than capable of creating tutorials yourself, yet the only assistance you can provide is hosting. No offer to continue the work. No mention of working on your own tutorials.

For the record, a while ago there was a company called Interplay Entertainment who were actually pretty decent. Somewhere around 2001-2002 I believe, there was an interview or press release or something they gave which referred to "milking" the MMORPG market with their products. I made a post on No Mutants Allowed in their original forums commenting on that release with some sort of comment about being "an Interplay Cow" as clearly they wanted to milk me for my money. It's been in my signature ever since. So yes, it makes quite a lot of sense actually.

3. Bunny

Bunny New Member

I thought Hellbokos was a woman. How did it try to be helpful? And did it succeed?

4. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Hell, your trying to speak about Interplay Cows and AMTUT as if you've even been around long enough to know what in the fuck they are. I have probably modded more than all but a few of the members of this forum, and there are a rare few that I will grant have more experience than me. AMTUT taught me how to scroll on the map, where the fuck do you think you'ld be without that. Unless you can do a better job, try paying a little fucking respect to the modders that modders that are better than you acknowledge are better than them.

Try spelling your curse words correctly, because 'shite' and 'fuckin' make you look like more like an especially vulgar child than an mature adult who's been offended by something someone said. As per your being offended, if you've been here for more than minute, you should have picked up that DU is a sarcastic asshole, and that if you say something he finds stupid, he's going to call you stupid. He's also probably going to be pretty creative in his insults. Everyone of us gets it when we say something stupid, just like if DU got on and posted some crap about how his horse just died, for example, I'ld probably leave him a message asking him if he knew where I could get some glue at a discount.

Here's a little education for the next time you try to criticize someone's work; if the quality is mostly useless to the effectiveness of the piece, and the author already stipulates in the work that the quality has been scrapped, insulting the quality is redundant. Where the hell did you look in AMTUT and find a claim that it was a great piece of literature. If I paint a picture, don't insult the studio I put it in, critique my work. The storyline is just trappings, the ability to create a storyline at all is why AMTUT exists, and if you don't understand that you're incompetant.

DU, he does have a point about the writing in AMTUT. I'ld love to see him do better, and the reason I never brought it up is because I knew I wouldn't do one myself, so there was no use in complaining. That said, the writings about as 'brilliant' as a 40-watt that's been on all day. It gets the job done, but I know things and I had trouble following some of your sentences. I can only imagine how hard it must be for stupid people.

5. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Yes, that was part of my plan to weed out people who are too stupid to mod. Those who couldn't understand my complex sentences and had trouble understanding them would soon realise that modding wasn't for them.

Yeah, I realised by Part 4 that instead of one big arse "hold your hand" tutorial, I should've gone for a bunch of smaller and simpler tutorials. "How to Build a House", "How to Modify Terrain" etc... Get to the point, explain things and leave each one at the topic it's meant to explain.

6. Mag the Bloody-handed

Mag the Bloody-handed New Member

Lately I have started having dreams of being cannibalized by women, I am pretty sure it is a direct result of one girl in particular who invited me to stay over(not the first time, but she never cooked before).

There was also some I guess you could say, romantic moments under the moonlight and then the next morning I got this huge breakfast set before me, and later that day she cooked steaks for me.

I think my brain is trying to remind me I hate serious relationships.

7. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Surely its worth it.

I mean come on, free steak!

8. xento

xento New Member

Not to mention all the roast beef you could hope to eat. However, I'd recommend asking her to keep sausage off the breakfast menu. Ask her to instead serve it at night, after you are thoroughly smashed.

9. Mag the Bloody-handed

While my belly would agree, I just can't see myself in a long term relationship without the police questioning me about her whereabouts.

10. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

It's for the best, then. No need for you to reassure the police that you had nothing to do with the bag of giblets found exactly where you said it would be.

11. Mag the Bloody-handed

I prefer lime pits.

12. Grossenschwamm

Whatever method you choose, I'm sure you had nothing to do with it.

13. Mag the Bloody-handed

14. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Ah, the milk version of the cigarette excuse. It's a sad thing a woman can't get her milk at home.

15. Telcontar

Telcontar Well-Known Member

Well if she wasn't so lazy and went out and milked the cow.....

16. Grossenschwamm

Too bad there's not some sort of cigarette-cow, whose teets you can tug to give you more smokes...

Our Host!