how do you kill an ore golem?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by drake, Jun 5, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Canis

Canis New Member

Ah, so that's what it is. Good to know.

In my last game I went through the BMC mines at around 88 TA. It was utter bliss. One day I'll try for 100 TA just out of spite for those blasted ore golems. :)

2. Bazooca4

Bazooca4 New Member

For Me. I just killed the golem like this:

Well first I was a mage and knew summon gurdian ogre. So the rest is super easy. Guardian ogres are the best. THey can kill the golems without taking much dmg.

I first summon him and then tell him to attack the golem alone. So that the golem doesn't target my followers.

3. GiantRaven

GiantRaven New Member

i just harm them to hell. it works but you have to wait a while for fatigue to rise again

4. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

Heck I just sit back and let my 7 followers get it done for me:

dog using his nose
    sogg machined quantlets
    gar machined quantlets
    magnus his quantlets

the following just getting in the way distracting!

virgil balanced sword
    dante balanced sword
    jayna balanced sword

I just listen to all the clanging hehehehe

Parmanian

5. vesselle

vesselle New Member

its just me (a witch with 75 MA), virgil and magnus against the ore critters. i use 3 Harms or 2 Lightning Bolts and they drop. my harms don't eat much of my fatigue, either, so it worked well. i actually thot the traps were tons worse than the ore golems this playthru.

in previous playthrus (as tekkies), i had followers bust their armor, go thru several weapons each and barely manage to straggle out. so i was very pleased at going thru as a witch this time. :)

V***V

6. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

vesselle, tech weapons have a low to 0 % chance to hit magical critters such as Ore Golems.* Use neutral or magical weapons. carry backup weapons & keep track of the hit points. Take out the fire dudes FAST, before they kill your armor.

Get Dog.

My last run through the BMC was with a mage, Vergil & dog. They hardly got to swing.

*At high TA, this is reversed. AT 100% TA, I believe there is an increased chance vs your base TH.

7. SLDFKnight

SLDFKnight New Member

I have firearms mastery 20 PE and 15 IN but still am getting 0% to hit with the LGR. Why?

8. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Maybe something is blocking the target from you?

9. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

If there are any symbols near the percent TH when you target something, you are suffering penalties. There's a list of what they mean in the manual.

10. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

If there are any symbols near the percent TH when you target something, you are suffering penalties. There's a list of what they mean in the manual.

11. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

What is your TA? I know that at 50% the TH% base is about zero. That said, the LGR should never get below 20% TH without other modifers. Lighting for one. A friend on another forum says that if a gunslinger only knows one spell, it should be Illuminate.

12. SLDFKnight

SLDFKnight New Member

It says the target is blocked even when I am right next to it.

13. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Now that is strange. No corner in the way? You are patched? I am out of ideas.

14. ViolentOpposition

ViolentOpposition New Member

Sorry for necromancing this thread, but I did a little search and I have the same problem.

I have 17 Perception, am a point away from being a Master in Guns, am a Human @ LV18... but I only get a ~47% chance of hitting those damn Ore Golems with my fine revolver; indicates that they're behind cover or something. Any ideas?

My game has the latest patch; just started playing Arcanum a few days ago (after not having played a good CRPG, like Fallout 1/2 et cetera, for a while).

The only way I found to kill them was to put fast turn-based on, fire one shot at the Golem, and then use the rest of my points to run away (he wouldn't have enough points, himself, to catch up with me AND hit me, only the former)... while my two followers were hitting him in the back. Needless to say, that technique takes ages to kill them with.

Also, I had to unequip my guys' swords, because otherwise they break on Ore Golems, which I imagine isn't a bug, but is still annoying.

Thanks for any help.

P.S. Is Repair a skill of any worth? I'm playing a non-magic (at all) human do-gooder techy who only uses guns, just FYI.

I can't decide between Haggle, Persuasion, Lockpicks or Repair.

The only skill I've really raised so far is Guns (one point into Haggle, which feels like a waste so far).

15. cadaver

cadaver New Member

Repair is in my oppinion an useless skill to learn, they are in arcanum more then enough capable repairman for a decent price. Money isn't a problem in arcanum, especially if you can create items from found objects

I personally would go for persuasion, as I usually go for the mage/good talker person. (no idea why I do this)

16. ViolentOpposition

ViolentOpposition New Member

Hmmm, yes, I see your point. I'm starting to come across more & more money... and I can always get stuff repaired by others, for a cheap price.

17. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Tell your followers to stay back (F3 I think) turn on real time combat and start shooting. You'll have killed the Ore Golem in no time.

18. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I've never had that problem with the Ore Golems. The problem I DO have is that if I unequip my followers' weapons, they end up hurting themselves by hitting the golem.
    How high is your perception, by the way?

19. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Ore-golems? No problem! Leave all you followers behind, except the all-powerful "Worthless Mutt" of destruction. Have the Golem or other weapon damaging monster chase you and dog will start tearing them up. Stay out of contact with the monster by keeping just out of reach and dog will finish em off for you. If Virgil's nearby he'll heal dog ashe takes damage. Its a wimps way out, but I dont want to scratch my +20 Vorpal Sword of Cleavage.

20. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Does Pyrotechnic Axe take damage?

Our Host!