Change the rules for the difficulty settings?

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Radish, Jun 15, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Radish

Radish New Member

Just for my own silly desires, I'm hoping to change the Easy difficulty setting so it only gives the XP bonus, and doesn't give you combat bonuses or enemies combat penalties, and/or whatever else the Easy setting does. Is this possible, and if so how do I do it?

2. Teseng

Teseng New Member

You "might" could edit alot of the rules files you get from the dats, but you may have to go as far as a whole new exe, which would be a lil difficult i'd think

3. Radish

Radish New Member

Aye, I figured I'd be editing rules files if it were possible, I just didn't know which ones.

It occured to me I could increase all the values in xp_quest and xp_critter by 50%, giving every difficulty setting an XP boost, but that seems a bit sloppy. Not to mention tedious.

4. Teseng

Teseng New Member

That would probably work, but would the % boost tack on to the already boosted xp for easy? I'll keep tinkering with my test module tonight, see what i can accomplish

5. Radish

Radish New Member

Yeah, I'd use the Moderate setting if I went that route, else I think I'd get a 50% bonus twice.

6. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Tinker ye not for the answer lies in effect.mes.
    Whichever background you wish to use simply add "xpgain +50%" to it. Or whatever % you desire. That's the easiest way to do it but it will only apply if you choose that background.

If you wish to alter the level up table instead that can be found in xp_level.mes in the rules folder. Simply lower each of the numbers found there. Altering the quest and critter XP, as mentioned above, would have the same effect but would be a lot more work.

Our Host!