How can I edit .exe files?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Rjak, Apr 17, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Rjak

Rjak New Member

I know it sounds stupid. I even know it sounds noobish, but I really have no ideea of how to edit an executable.

I've downloaded all the hacks from download section and I tried to understand the modifications, I have an ideea pretty much about them, but I got stucked when I reached the point of exe editing.

I tried to (hex)compare modified arcanum.exe file with the original arcanum.exe but without luck.

Can someone please direct me to a program / link / guide that teaches me about this?
    Thank you.

PS I know my english can be impoved, I'm working on it :)

EDIT: To get ALL you can from game you need something like 12*8 (stats)+ 7*8 (tech skills) + 5*4*4 (general skills) + 16*5 (spells) = 392 improvement points. Let's say you need 350 points - I might messed up the maths and now I'm at work so I can't check. So I want to push the level limit cap to at least 350... or find a way to get more than 1 improvement point / level.

2. Archea47

Archea47 New Member

I can whip you up a trainer so you have unlimited points

3. Rjak

Rjak New Member

I can use TSearch myself. I wanted to made an "uber-mod".

And editing items does not help. (a toon who have 8 dex and wears a +12 dex charged ring have less speed and "to hit base" - aka 35% to hit, than a toon who have 20 dex - 102% to hit)

Maybe someone can direct me to the file that asigns the numer of improvement points per level?

4. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Rather than changing improvement points per level it's easier to reduce the XP required to level up.
    Which can be done here: rules\xp_level.mes
    But that would still require increasing the upper level limit. If you want to max everything out, then using the save game editor would be much easier.

That's not quite true. Some quests you need to be tech aligned to get them. If you max out everything then you will be magick aligned so certain parts of the game will be unavailable to you.
    I really can't see the game being any fun if you are level 350 and no creature can harm you, let alone defeat you.

5. Rjak

Rjak New Member

Well, you are untouchable with 20 in all stats and level 15 (I checked that myself), I used a program to get infinite improvement points even from character creation.
    And if you increase all your spells, skills and everything you end with 38 tech.

But again, like I said, all I wanted was to create a mod for that, not to use a savegame editor or RAM cheat or any other program.
    Thank you for your responses anyway.

Our Host!