What do you think?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by midnite_matinee, Apr 1, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. midnite_matinee

midnite_matinee New Member

yah i've always wondered if it was a good idea or not to either not let Virgil join you in the beginning or at some point disband him?

As anyone done this , if so tell me if its a good idea.( just wondering)

2. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Try to write better, ok? That post sucked.

3. Bunny

Bunny New Member

I don't know, I can't imagine my life without Virgil :) Someone who'll be with you for the good times and the bad times is a precious gift. (Except when you attack him.)

Be patient, young Swedish Spammer, it's not the guy's first language... Oh, wait...

4. Wolfsbane

Uh.. It's not MY first language, but his.

Well, this is akward.

5. midnite_matinee

hey i was in a hurry ok... plus i never aced my keyboarding class either.

6. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Pfft. Class for keyboarding? Learn by doing, don't do by learning. And, sure, if you want your life to be difficult when you're just starting a new game, sure, kick virgil out of your party. I'm sure you'll find someone else who knows magic and will heal you and follows you around....oh, wait, no one else really does that. Until the latter half of the game.

7. midnite_matinee

hey, maybe i like Arcanum to be challenging.

It's more fun that way :)

8. Wolfsbane

You actually think that Virgil helps, don't you? He's the most useless follower there ever was. I mean, I go better off WITHOUT him than I do with him. He can't sneak, the stupid bastard, and he always just leaps into battle, no matter how bad the odds.
    No, I play without him. He just bothers me ('cept when I want to hear his voice actor. I love that guy.)

9. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

In his defense that dwarf from Quintara is worse.

10. Wolfsbane

Jormund? Yes. He's actually even worse, 'cause he's not even funny. Sorry 'bout that, Virgil.

11. Vorak

No, he is definitely funny, give him that super fast staff of his, no armour and watch him have about 10 critical failures in a row before either dying or crippling himself.

12. Wolfsbane

Ok, that is funny, but in a sadistic way. Virgil is funny when he gets upset, like when you're an idiot. "Follow me, idiot. Oh, I mean 'Oh Living One'..."
    Nothing beats it :thumbup:

13. midnite_matinee

Thats why you just make him wait when your sneaking

i agree with you on this, but doesn't every party member?

But dude without him in the beginning i wouldn't haved survived at all.

14. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

That's what I was saying. Anyway, I just keep Virgil in my party because I don't like to not have him. Sure he gets in the way. Sure, I've killed him because I got tired of his comments on my critical failures and what not. And, sure, I've gotten a little annoyed at how much he makes fun of stupid characters, but I really can't see my game of Arcanum without Virgil in my party for at least the first quarter of the game. I just like having him there. Besides, his voice is really not that grating, and I can stand to listen to him talk.

15. midnite_matinee

yeah your right i coul'n't imagine myself without him in the beginning.

But his comments do get pretty old.

16. tamaneko

tamaneko New Member

You can turn off battle taunts in the options if you don't want to hear them make fun of how much you suck. :D And I like Virgil. He's one of the first NPC's from a Western RPG that I've actually cared about, mostly because of how is VA lends so much character and charm to him. Not even Fallout/Fallout 2 could do that. He's a good guy through and through, and don't tell me his healing hasn't saved you from certain death at least once! :)

One minor thing that bugs me though...doesn't he have any comments about Quintarra besides saying how he'd love to visit it, even when you're already there?! He's always had something to say about all the prior towns I've visited...a bug perhaps? This happened too with Vollinger - before visiting Caladon I took him to Quintarra and he had something to say about the place, but recruiting him after Caladon and taking him there, he doesn't have anything to say anymore... :/

17. Vorak

I take it that you haven't played through with Evil Virgil then?
    He has some comment or another about the stories that hes heard about Elven women if you ask him what he knows about Quintara once you get there.

18. tamaneko

tamaneko New Member

That's the thing - there is no dialog option for asking him what he thinks about Quintarra. Must be bugged somehow... And Evil Virgil? Haven't even finished the game yet, so I haven't taken the evil path yet. Sounds interesting. What does he say and do?

19. Wolfsbane

He's eviler than skelletor :D Anyway, I DO like him, but he's just to worthless for me to carry around. He slows me down, so to speak. And no, he hasn't saved my life, ever. I'm smart enough to carry a few potions around, you know. Nothing else than Morganas tears, of course.
    I love him, but he sucks.

20. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Virgil is pretty annoying...espcially if you play a Tech Character and the dumb sunbitch keeps fatigueing himself by trying to constantly heal you.

He makes for a decent pack mule early on in the game when your technology/magic rating hans't shifted much.

Our Host!