Master Proto List? Or a few that I'd like.

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Mathias, Mar 26, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Mathias

Mathias New Member

Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone has a link for a mast proto list. Y'know, one that has a list of what item each .pro file is.

If not, then does anyone know the protos for:

Gold
    or
    Lockpick
    Auto-Lockpick
    or
    Bullets

Thanks for your time. =)

2. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Undat arcanum. (You'll have to do this sooner or later if you are serious about modding).
    A list of all protos can be found in the file "description.mes" which will be in your undatted mes folder.

3. Asrudin

Asrudin New Member

to add that, the numbers in description.mes are off by 10 or 20, iirc.

The description.mes and assigned numbers are hardcoded and no prototypes can be added unless you open up arcanum.exe

However there are many available duds to use. prototypes not used in the game.

4. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

The proto number is 20 greater than the description number.

If I understand you correctly, then I have to disagree. I have added many new prototypes without overwriting existing prototypes and they all work fine in game. As long as you make sure you alter all the correct reference numbers within the proto then you can add completely new protos.

5. Asrudin

Asrudin New Member

Then how would you explain that I made working prototype numbers that functioned on any prototype number that already existed but always crashed the game if I used a(any) number non existant in the files. While referencing them properly as if changing the number to another existing number. :/

I might have overlooked something though... ;p

6. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

There are 3 (sometimes 4) numbers that need to be changed.

The first number corresponds to the proto number.
    The other 2 numbers correspond to the known and unknown names of the item. This has to be added to the description.mes file.

As long as you change these number the proto will appear in the WorldEd menu.

Also, you MUST save the file with the .pro ending. If you save it as "006068 - Weapon" it will not work.
    You must save it as "006068 - Weapon.pro".

7. Asrudin

Asrudin New Member

ah yeh, but in worlded it's not really a prototype anymore. How would you add a prototype number that you can generate in the main modul upon script calling, I mean. I always failed to manage that. Unless using a number already excisting.

8. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Making prototypes to use in the main game:

Move description.mes to data\mes
    Open your selected base proto using a suitable hex editor (I use Hackman which does a good job apart from the occassional doubling of pasted lines).
    Change the proto number, usually offset 24 and 25 (this seems to be the only number which MUST be changed). However the name will be wrong unless you also change 143 and 144, 198 and 199 and a some others (depending on item type).

So 24 and 25 will correspond to the proto number. This is 20 greater than the number in description.mes

Save the proto to data\proto with its new number.

Load up WorldEd and you should see the proto in the correct menu.

You can then either drop the proto into maps as normal or you can create in game using the line "create item with basic prototype (num) inside (object)"
    Unfortunately new protos cannot be added to InvenSource.mes as the original proto list is hard coded into the game (if someone knows otherwise then let me know!) which is why I need to use a script fudge to make new items appear in merchants' inventories.

9. Asrudin

Asrudin New Member

And it just so happened to be I always used invensource to test items in the main module :p

Always got either non functionable items or a crash out of the game :p

Heh, I got some more free time lately, I might finish the bugfix pack I used to work on, but no promises :eek:

10. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Youch.
    Hope you didn't lose too much hair over that one.

I've been there many times and the answer is usually something stupidly simple. It takes 2 days to figure out what the problem is and about 2 seconds to fix it.

Example:
    I spent 2 to 3 hours this evening trying to work out why Arcanum kept crashing when I accessed the character screen.
    Turned out this was my mistake:
    (1303}{6077} //Machined Hammer
    The first { was actually a ( and that took my 3 freaking hours to find!
    :smash:

Our Host!