Scientific Shit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blinky969, Feb 9, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Gabriel

Gabriel New Member

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Yes, how could we not remembert your terrorizing?

3. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

*me starts charging the biggest goddamned fireball Arcanum has ever seen*

I know one way to stop THAT problem before he starts. May I?

4. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Well, I'mn't going to try to stop you.

5. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Calm down guys... Scarmouche came off a bit snippish when he replied to me, whatever. He's a twirp, and for the most part I am right.

I was mistaken in believing mass increases with velocity, from his link I see it is relativistic mass that increases. Whether it's relativistic mass or rest mass that bends space time, THAT'S what I want to know.

And he was also correct that infinity should be thought of like pi, but infinity can also be manipulated like pi, so long as you realize that if infinity remains in the answer, you are not going to arrive at a number.

And there is no fundamental difference between a liquid and a gas, because despite how hard it is to compress a liquid, you can still do it. The difficulty in compression comes from density. Water is far more dense than air, and so it's far harder to compress water than air.

6. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Mwahahahaha! *BOOOOM* *Gabe gets blasted clear out of the Internet*

Mmm, stress-relieveing.

Now, as for Blinky's question on relatavistic and rest mass, I believe that both have an effect on space-time, but I'd have to track down an old issue of New Scientist to answer with complete authority.

7. Calis

Calis Member

My general-relativity-fu is much weaker than my special-relativity-fu, but IIRC it was an energy thing. That would mean the relativistic mass has some effect. That link Scaramouche posted would suggest otherwise though: "and relativistic mass is of no use at all in general relativity". On the other hand, the same page mentions it's best to just use energy; and whether or not you like the concept of relativistic mass, calculating kinetic energy for relativistic speeds *is* going to involve that gamma thingamajig with the vee divided by cee squared and everything.
    From a fluid mechanics standpoint, you are (mostly) correct, but the two aren't called "different phases" for nothing; surface tension would be one of the more obvious differences.

Also, shame on you guys for scaring off Scaramouche. That guy was correct in pretty much everything he said in this thread.

On a semi-related note, 1st of March my MSc thesis project is gonna start! Wo0!

8. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Thank you oh wise one.

I do wonder as to where I can get the information about the test results of such tests on the surface tensions of air and water.

I do understand there has to be SOMETHING to make them different phases, I just wasn't sure before today that it all comes down to surface tension. Remember, this was a pot brainsnap, I was on this whole "It's all just our perceptions..." tear, and my angle was that liquid is liquid because its vapor pressure is simply less than the medium we live in. If he lived in the ocean, we'ld be calling air plasma, and slush liquid.

So pardon the lack of complete coherency in my argument.

9. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Woohoo! Another one! :D

10. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

we weren't THAT bad... he just can't handle our sense of humor.

11. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

I agree you weren't bad enough to warrant him leaving completely but, forgive me if I am being slow, where was the humour?

He overreacted to jape's joke but that was after he was falsely accused of picking fights. If someone has just been berating you then you see insults rather than jokes.

Why do I care? It simply saddens me to see the "get lost noobs" attitude. I think it was Calis (possibly Canis?) who wrote a good rant on the subject a while ago and I couldn't agree more.

12. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

no, no, that was an insult. but seriously, who gets so offended by someone they don't even know that they leave an internet forum rather than flame the insulter back? he obviously couldn't handle the pressure that comes with being a member of this forum.

13. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

14. MADLAX

MADLAX New Member

Ya now I somehow get to know 'the pressure that comes with being a member of this forum'.

15. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

so far no one's come up with the energy to flame you properly, as all newbs deserve, MAD, but give it time. and remember:

just because we hate you, doesn't mean you should leave. just hate us back.

16. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Well if that's your attitude then it's your fault I'll be stuck here forever. Ziggy says there is a 98% chance that I need to get people to stop their spiteful bitching before I can leap onto another forum.

17. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Yea, good luck with that.

You know nothing MAD. Soon we shall enlighten you. And you shall rue the knowledge young one.

18. MADLAX

MADLAX New Member

Things are not so bad ,at least ,up to now all of you have became aware of my presence.
    ~_~
    And whatever happens I will stay here,for this forum is so cool(in your word)and there ARE many kind people.
    In the end ,there is a Chinese saying(why always Chinese saying)'Know-nothing no fear'.

19. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

20. Legendary Z

Legendary Z New Member

If everyone wants someone to make fun of (flame if you will) go ahead and make fun of me I am both a bad speller and to lazy to argue and more or less dont care enugh to argue back so im like a fat red elephant with a target

I dont even care if every one knows I am here I am mostly here reading becuase I never can say what im thinking

Our Host!