Krondor

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Gorath321, Sep 26, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Gorath321

Gorath321 New Member

Has anyone here ever read any of the books from Raymond Feast??? I saw 1 person by name of SquireJames, wich is a char from the Krondor serries (Rift Legacy if I remember correctly) and my name was taken from one of his books as well. Just curius if anyone else read the series and what they thought.

2. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I only played the games. Damn, that Betray at krondor was one of the best games I played.

3. Gorath321

Gorath321 New Member

I played Betrayal for a long time, never played Return though. Actually I got a copy of Betrayal with the book. 5 bucks for both.

4. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

wow, I played return it was nowhere near as good as the betray. didn't play return to antara. I heard it's from a completly different author.

5. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

COmpletely unrelated note about signatures...

Jinxed, what is your animetion from?

And, why would I ask Fate where his pants where, Gorath?

6. Zarathustra

Zarathustra New Member

Antara is a different author and world than Krondor, but a pretty cool game nonetheless. Never played Return to Krondor, as my computer was pretty much obsolete when it came out.

And I read almost all of Fiest's stuff when I was in high school, up through Shards of a Broken Crown. In retrospect, his early stuff is pretty generic, and his middle stuff is kind of perverted, but the Serpentwar Saga is da proverbial bomb; especially the middle two books. And Faerie Tale is neat if you like that sort of thing. I read "The Betrayal", which is essentially a novelization of BoK, and actually included a CD-rom of the game (as was mentioned). I think he may have (or will be) doing a novelization of RtK, but I'm not sure.

"The Assasins" has been sitting on my bookshelf, unread, forever. Good, old fashioned fantasy seems to be falling down the queu for me, I guess.

7. Xanamonarac

Xanamonarac New Member

I read the whole Riftwar-Saga; I've started the Serpentwar-Saga recently (I'm about to finish book one these days). X

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Xanamonarac on 2001-09-26 10:16 ]</font>

8. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

I read magician when it first came out and bought all the Riftwar and Serpentwar books as they came out. I loved them all.

I got the first two Krondor books (Betrayal and Assassins) and for the first time didn't love Feist's work. The books are shallow and lack substance and the plot reads like an RPG module (I love RPG, but modules are only good because you get to build the the story through play).

I haven't bought Tear of the Gods and probably won't. It's a huge shame, but I suppose it must be difficult to maintain such a high standard.

9. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

from mobile battleship Nadesico. 2nd title: Martian succesor Nadesico

10. Gorath321

Gorath321 New Member

I too bought "The Assassins" when it first came out, may be one day I'll get it off my shelf and read it. Who knows

11. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

the return was a big mistake it sucked compared to the original. The story was ok.
    but what I really loved in betrail was your freedom of movemnt and the mass amount of side things to do. For a game realised then it was a big development. well in the return it was non of than you had to walk on a main plot only and could only travel from place to place like BG it really sucked.
    but nostalgia is powerful as you get to play James and Pug's kid

12. Sirius_Sam

Sirius_Sam New Member

Feist is such an egomaniac though...

I suppose his books aren't terrible. Every author is capable of selective brilliance.

My take on Feist (not sure of the spelling...sorry) is that He sure thinks he's brilliant..and...ummm...well, Harlan Ellison he IS NOT.

Still, for light reading I remember his Krondor books as being on par with Mcaffery's Pern stuff...light fantasy to pass the time...ok for a quick read.

I do agree w/ Jinxed...the game (I think Sierra published it, but I can't remember) ROCKED for it's time :smile:

S_S

13. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Getting Feist, E. R.

I have only played the demo for Betrayal at Krondor, but for years it has been turning up on lists of "All Time Greats" for RPG comp games.

Have you ever seen a picture of old Ray? The first time I saw one, it completely changed the way I thought about him. If you are interested, check this out:

http://www.sfsite.com/scribe/scribe06.htm

We shouldn't be allowed to see this kind of thing. Heroes should be faceless - or at least have a face that is not quite so comical.

"You want heroes? Keep them safe; they won't stand up to light. So lock them in your soul and lose the key" - "Heavenly Nobodies," Lush

14. Soldador

Soldador New Member

I have played BaK and read the Riftwar Saga... and loved it. Especially 'Darkness at Sethanon' (not sure whether it is that title, I have read it's polish translation) ROCKED like hell. Very very good boooks... and a game too.

15. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

yes another polish guy, hey I'm not saying anything about translations, but I was brough up in american schools, and reading translated books in my opinion since I know the languages well, just sucks.

16. Soldador

Soldador New Member

translations

Well I DO prefer reading original versions much more than translations, but I it's sometimes a big problem finding books in english... especially in Poland, as You probably know :)

17. TechDude

TechDude New Member

Betrayal at Krondor was one of the best RPGs I ever played. Both the official sequel and the the unofficial sequel came out in the late 90s and were garbage adventure game/RPG hybrids. Lots of people had brain farts trying to follow up Betrayal at Krondor.

As far as the books... I've read Feist and found him "light", and I've read Janny Wurtz and found her dull... but I really enjoyed the series they collaborated on, Daughter of the EMpire or something like that. The two of them together seem to do much better work than either is capable of alone.

18. Xtzchild

Xtzchild New Member

19. Calis

Calis Member

My nickname has nothing to do with those books. Nope, I didn't steal "Calis" from Feist when I was 13 or 14 and in bad need for an online handle, not at all...

20. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Compared to other staffers, Calis has an "Evil Dictator" status.

Our Host!