As much as it pains me to ask for advice...

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Solaris, Jan 13, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Solaris

Solaris New Member

... being an Arcanum veteran and all, it seems that I'm having odd problems.

1)The Siamese twins skulls quest in Tarant. I meet the half orc, go to the gentlemen's club, talk to De Cesare or what's his name. A man appears, attacks De Cesare and gets shot by him. All of a sudden, my followers attack De Cesare and Dante slices him into halves (while at the same time accusing me of wanton destruction of life. What a hypocrite). It NEVER EVER happened to me before, so... What the hell happened? Did anyone else here encouter that?

2) The Stillwater Giant. The real one, that you're supposed to meet after you've done the quest. The one who leaves you with a pelt and a fate point. I haven't played the game for too long, and I've forgotten how to find the damn thing. I've been running circles around Stillwater for some 20 minutes and he just won't come out. What am I forgetting?

2. Bunny

Bunny New Member

:)

Yes, I did, and I found it a natural occurrence, since de Cesare's reaction towards you (as you're supposed to be a 'traitor') decreases, causing your followers to attack him. What I do most of the time is to leave them waiting outside. But it's true, they don't always attack Sir Matt.

This is definitely a random occurrence, although if you're doing the Stillwater Giant Quest, it should appear at some point, generally in the area between Stillwater and the Pass, after you've finished the quest and discovered the location of the Pass.

3. KNJoe

KNJoe New Member

lol, i've never encountered the stillwater giant before ;) freaky. i thought it really WAS a load of crap and the pelt from parnells was the only one around. WHOA.

to the first statement; occasionally, and i havent yet figured out why, there will be that halforc in the club who shouts 'now i can finally kill decesare!' when he shoots the guard. decesare then attacks HIM, which automatically makes him hostile towards all others, INCLUDING your followers. once your followers switch to attack mode, theyll attack HIM, so he wont revert back to his normal reaction.
    dont know why that guys there sometimes, and not all, though. i've only noticed him the past couple times i've played, but i guess if you were to talk to him he probably has some sort of anti-cesare quest.

oh well...

*edit* he doesnt turn up EVERY time you do that, though, solaris...

4. Solaris

Solaris New Member

I used to meet him every time and rather easily. Once I've even had him killed by a swarm of Vorpal Bunnies.

The "why" is rather easy: it's the half-orc in the main street of Tarant who asks you to find De Cesare for him. If you talk to De Cesare after you've talked to the orc, the shooting incident will follow. Then you can talk to De Cesare again and get the Siamese twins skulls quest that, if you do it right, will lead you to the Half-Ogre Island. An interesting quest, alluding both to the X-files and to the "Jewish conspiracy" motives (the gnomes in Arcanum, if you haven't noticed, are ascribed stereotypical "Jewish" traits) that earns you a fate point.

5. Box of Fox

Box of Fox New Member

Excuse me? "Jewish traits"?

Being rich and creating bodyguards by breeding people of other races? Wtf is wrong with you? Then how bout I start stereotyping Christians as half-ogres-- stupid, easily controlled and like to pick fights.

6. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Oohoohoo! I think we hit the jackpot here! :D

7. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

I'll just jam in a polite answer here before anyone tears Fox apart.

He points out it is a stereotype and puts jewish in speech marks. Quite obviously he is pointing out something that exists but he wants to distance himself from it.

Being rich is a very obvious jewish stereotype which originates from the period in which arcanum is set. I use the word stereotype. I am *not* saying that all jews are rich bankers. I am saying that the stereotype exists, regardless of how much truth may or may not be in it.

Creating bodyguards relates to the general jew conspiracy theory e.g. the gnomes on the industrial council (jewish lobbyists) pulling all the strings and getting up to no good but they are above the law. Once again this is not my belief, it is a conspiracy theory that exists in popular culture regardless of the truth.

I don't think the folks at troika are sectarian, I just think that there are too many stereotypes attached to the gnomes to ignore the connection.

Now please continue your christian bashing but hands off allah or charles may emerge from GD and rain his holy fury upon the other forums.
    -Shudders-

8. Box of Fox

Box of Fox New Member

Loool I don't know what came over me there. I reread your post 15 minutes later and saw the word "stereotype" and was like SHIT, HE'S DOESN'T MEAN IT. Of course I had too much dignity to edit or delete the post so. You know. *Snaps fingers*

9. Solaris

Solaris New Member

You could also notice which country I come from and *think* if I could "mean it". :lol:

Now stop and think about the half-orcs- "taken out of their natural habitat", racially discriminated against, working the worst and the lowest paid jobs, believed to be stupid and inferior to the other races, brutalized by the police when they riot struggling for their rights... Reminds you of anything? :p

10. Box of Fox

Box of Fox New Member

Now your're making me feel foolish :p

11. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

Men in Black, who are black. Some people say orcs are Irish. Maybe in some case it's right.

12. Solaris

Solaris New Member

The Irish weren't brought to Britain or US against their will, as the Councilman in the Don Throgg quest implies. I think half-orcs represent the natives of the British colonies in general- whether Black, or Indian, or Arab- brought to the empire to serve as cheap labor. Or they could represent the black and the mixed race people in the US, if we see Tarant as a cross between Britain and the United States.

13. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

Well, the most typical "slave" in USA or Britain was black man.

14. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Weren't the Irish 'removed' from their lands around the beginning of the 17th century and taken to England -to be kept an eye on- when the ruling government at the time decided to give their lands to the Scots so that they'd have Presbyterians in Catholic Ireland?

15. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Hmm, quite possible. You might be right, I don't remember.

Our Host!