wierdest Arcanum bug YET!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by KNJoe, Jan 9, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. KNJoe

KNJoe New Member

this is by far the WIERDEST arcanum bug i have yet encountered, though please share yours if you think they qualify ;)

while playing a mage, unmodded, unedited, etc, i show up for the first time at the wheel clan. of course, arronax/kerghan is there with his overly dramatic voice, does his number with knocking us out.
    only here's the thing; i'm level 46. he knocks me out, and within two or three seconds, i'm standing again. so i figure, 'oh what the hell' pop a fatigue potion and kill him (one harm spell does it).

then, with him standing dead and my fatigue-ridden comrades still unconcious (them being WORTHLESS MUTT and the dwarf from the penal colony, whatever his name is, i normally never take followers), i run into the wheel clan entrance. mostly, i just did it to see what would happen to my followers. after all, i had saved right before i had travelled, it COULDN'T do any harm, right?
    so, i get through the door and realise that what happens is that i no longer have followers. normally, i'd be fine with that; i only keep DOG to find new and inventive ways to get him killed, and i only brought the dwarf because i wanted to see the conversation options. i'd never done it before.

so, i head BACK through the door, to the outside where i left them. right then, Arcanum.exe crashes.
    OK, understandable, i can see how that would screw it up.

reload, reteleport, relisten to the prick, this time i DONT kill him AND i wait for my followers to wake up. about halfway through my dealings in the dredge, i begin to realise a series of oddities.
    first, worthless mutt is now an APPRENTICE in melee!! whatinthehell?
    second, every time i put a point into either spells OR learned schematics, i get a BLESSING. no description. just the regular blessing sound/comment.
    third, every time i try to look at the blessing page in my journal, arcanum.exe crashes.
    i haven't noticed any particular oddities other than this, but the game itself has been a tad glitchy.

what the hell is going on, and is there a solution?

2. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Does it mean his skill went up or down?

If it went up, you probably just haven't noticed it having happened before. The dog's melee skill level advances as he progresses and eventually reaches the Expert level, I believe.

Are you wearing the Jewel of Hebe?

Strange. Are you patched?

The repair option is a wonderful fix-it-all solution for most bugs. Try it.

3. KNJoe

KNJoe New Member

*sigh*

solaris, Worthless Mutt is a Master in Melee, as is a Familiar...

yes, i am, but up until now that made no difference, nor does it make a difference when i replicate the point expedition while NOT wearing it. it obviously has little to nothing to do with it.

which patch? if you mean 1074, then yes, although i did re-instate 1070 worlded. if not, then as i said, it is an unmodded, unedited character. that includes hacks and patches.

and what the bloody hell is 'the repair option' ???

4. Bunny

Bunny New Member

He grows to be a master, but he's not at the beginning. Unless that depends on your own degree at the time (Apprentice, Expert...)

[Edit=By "repair" he might mean the option you get when you insert the CD again, you generally get two options, Repair and Uninstall.]

5. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

That thing about killing the vision of Kerghan happened to me too, once. But the game didn't crash for me.
    I got plenty of experiance, and he just kept on encountering me every once in a while when I travelled, so I'm not unhappy about it. Rather happy, I say!

6. Box of Fox

Box of Fox New Member

Wow KNJoe are you like my other personality or something? o_O

I've killed Arronax too! My character had just the right timing and fatigue regeneration to stand up. I took a potion and 2-shotted the poor thing. Lots of exp.

I'm also experiencing this bug-- whenever I get a new spell from the Force College, I get the blessing sound. Weird. Also, the Jewel of Hebe won't shut up-- every time I put it on it makes the blessing sound :p

7. Wolfsbane

It does. But that's only because you get the blessing while wearing the jewel; the blessing won't stay if you take the jewel off.

8. KNJoe

KNJoe New Member

box of fox, are you experiencing any other oddities?

like, just the occasional REALLY wierd descrepancy? i think that that one incident might 'semi-corrupt' the file, not enough to force load it with the backup map but enough to just make things a bit screwy ;p

*edit* journeyman mark ;)

9. Scaramouche

Scaramouche New Member

Poor dog. :cry:

10. Wolfsbane

Why kill the dog? It sure rocks in combat, and it's a good way of taking care of those ore golems and fire-elementals if you don't want to lose your armor.

11. KNJoe

KNJoe New Member

because he SUCKS. i've never, ever played a character who can't take on any individual creature in the game, and any time i play a tech-specific or magic-specific character, i can take on any given 10 ;)

playing a social-specific character gets just as boring though, because everything quest-wise becomes so simple.

i've gotten to the point where i only spend points until level 15... then thats it, nothign after that. adds some slight difficulty to th game, to have 45 unused skill points and almost never be master at ANYTHING.

heres a question; how do i get the iron clan thingy open? that entrance thingy. i've forgotten by now, but i'm playing a full game again, so i kind of want to >.< could someone spring my memory please?

*edit* the one where whats-his-face sends you down into the tomb? or do you get it after you find nasdurin?

12. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Solve the quest you at the Panarii Temple in Caladon and you'll be awarded with the glass thingy you need to open the Iron Clan thingy :)

13. Wolfsbane

Kill off the annoying halfling in Caladons high church, and fetch the glass-device for your own use. Then, you open the gate.

14. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

another bug

Hi, new to the posts here, but I have an interesting bug as well. I had just gotten into Caladon with my party of Virgil, Dog, Chukka, Magnus, and Gar, with my super-mage female elf character. After getting into the cemetary, and Virgil left, I dug up Victor Misk. I forgot that Virgil had left, and went back to speak with Mr. Misk's wife. Then, I went to the inn, bought a room, and saved my game. The next morning when I actually woke up, I remembed that I hadn't gotten Virgil back. I turned on my computer, loaded up Arcanum, went to talk to Virgil in the cemetary, and he just stood there. I wasn't able to talk to him or get him back into my party. I was thinking of using dominate will, but the rest of my party would've been pissed at me, and I can't be arsed into telling all of them to wait outside of the cemetary. I'm pretty sure that even if I did use dominate will, I wouldn't have the same dialogue options, and since my main character had the extreme personality background, Virgil would've attacked me as soon as I deactivated the spell. I really don't know what happened, so I just gave up on that particular game and started up a new file with a half ogre technologist.

15. Wolfsbane

How close are you standing to him when you try and talk to him? This has happened to me, too, but I just went back later in the game and he still stood there, waiting. That's, by the way, a nice trick to use if you've got a high level Virgil and don't want him to become level 20 again after Tsen-Ang. Anyway, try with walking real close to him. Then he should react automaticly and speak with you.
    Otherwise, you've lost Virgil. Forever.

16. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I'm actually standing either right next to him or in front of him. He turns to face me the first two or three times I try to initiate a conversation with him, but after that, he's motionless and mute. Like I said, I gave up on that game and started anew, but thanks for replying to me! That's the first time I was actually given a response within the same day as my post on any one forum. :p

17. Wolfsbane

You're welcome. I mean, that's what we're here for (er.. perhaps flaming as a main objective). Welcome to Terra-Arcanum! May you obey the rules and stay longer than a month.

Our Host!