"Do you want to Quit"? Error

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Box of Fox, Dec 24, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Box of Fox

Box of Fox New Member

So earlier today I hit Calidon and was doing my usual trial-and-error form of speaking with one of the NPCs. So I make a slight mistake when speaking and then decided to load. When I do, I get this completely window that shows up, as if you were quiting a current game, asking me whether or not I want to quit.

Now every single time I load a game, this window shows up. Also, this window pops up every 10 minutes or so.

Finally it caused some real problems-- when I tried teleporting from one location to the other, the window showed up, I pressed no and the game said it had a critical error and just shut down. Any pointers?

Edit: Okay I just tried a new game to see if the same thing would happen, and it works perfectly fine >__<. Although I'll check again later to see if its just that specific game which is having this issue.

On a more humorous note, the new game I tried is the most hilarious thing I have ever experienced in Arcanum. I tried Vyenna's little sig, which is a half-ogre with idiot savant. Even Virgil is funny in the beginning. You get about half-the speaking options of any normal character and talk like a baby. I wonder what would happen if I were to decrease my intelligence by getting drunk at the Shrouded Hills bar :p

2. Box of Fox

Box of Fox New Member

3. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

4. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Have you installed any hacks or perhaps deleted / damaged some of the game files?
    The save games store various bits of information such as which flags are set. If this does not match with the data from the main game files then you get the quit option when you try to load. This has happened to me many times when modding, if I load up an old save after tinkering with some of the flags.

5. Box of Fox

Box of Fox New Member

I did try hacks a few weeks ago, failed miserably. It actually didn't work at all at first, but I managed to copy the files I needed to from the disk, and I was only missing Vormantown, which is useless anyway. I'll be sure to check the install and play disk.

6. Box of Fox

Box of Fox New Member

Okay, I've checked both the play disk, the install disk, and what stuff of Arcanum has been installed onto my computer. It mostly appears to be all the same, and I'm still getting the "do you want to quit" pop-up. Is there a specific file or area that I'm forgetting to check?

Edit: Also, if I reinstall the game, will I be able to keep my saved games?

7. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Idiot Savants are awesome characters, but my all-time favourite character was a Feral Child half-elf who I went totally overboard with when it comes to thief skills. Virgil is SO FUNNY!

8. Box of Fox

Box of Fox New Member

Rofl I'll have to try that.

Okay, I went to the "uninstall" option and then did "fix." I removed the "save" folder so my games wouldn't be erased, and then put it back when the game was done reinstalling. I loaded my save games and I still have the same error :x

9. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

If the save files contain information which the game considers invalid then you can't use those saves at all. The only way to fix the saves would be to change the lines which refer to invalid flags, etc or to change the main game so that it will recognise the information in the save. Perhaps the hacks are to blame for getting the save and game info 'out of sync'. It would be a lot easier to just load earlier saves.

10. Box of Fox

Box of Fox New Member

I've done this, but every time I get to just a certain point in Caladon, or after a period of time, the error happens anyways.

So I reinstalled the game and now I can't find my saved games. Anywhere. The Save folder in the modules folder (in the Sierra folder) is not there, even though I unchecked the box that said "Delete Saved Games."

11. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Is it because you removed the save folder earlier?

12. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

It sounds like whenever a particular (inevitable) event occurs the game views it as invalid and makes you quit. Sorry but it sounds like you will have to start from the beginning with a fresh install that hasn't been hacked. For future reference, installing hacks and mods mid-game is usually not the best idea. I did it with Fallout quite some time ago when I was under the cathedral and had to restart the whole game. Gah.
    If you want to try things out then just install arcanum in a different directory from your 'main arcanum' and then if it screws up it is no big loss.

13. RabidWolfe

RabidWolfe New Member

I had the same error - it happens when your save game files become corrupted for whatever reasons. I had to reinstall the game and start all over (the third time I've had to do that - but I finally finished the whole storyline for the first time last night!!!!)

14. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

15. Box of Fox

Box of Fox New Member

Awesome. The games must have gotten deleted, searched my whole comp, but I don't really mind now. The game happens 1.5x faster each time you play it-- I must have done the Shrouded Hills over 20 times ><-- I want to get past Roseborough though.

16. rEt.aR.d

rEt.aR.d New Member

I've also gotten that error, but I can't remember how I fixed it though :???: . I definitely didn't re-install.

I've actually only played Arcanum all the way tho the end once. The main reason is because I'm one of those people who can't play through a game without doing every quest I can possibly find. Another big influence WOULD BE THE FACT THAT I KEEP RESTARTING WITH NEW CHARACTERS!!!!!!!

17. Mercury

Mercury New Member

I also keep restarting the game all the time. I loose interest in my characters too quickly.

18. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I've created so many characters I could populate the Earth with them.

Our Host!