Technologist help required!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Mercury, Dec 10, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Mercury

Mercury New Member

I have been playing a dwarven technologist. His combat skills are guns and throwing. However, it seems that the throwing is bugged. When i throw explosives, then i have an unlimited amount of action points. After i cleared out a dungeon with my bugged throwing, i realized that it felt like cheating.

1. Can this be fixed?

2. If not, then i cant understand how a technologist would survive. The trowing did the main damage and guns could simply not handle of anything and the ammo is pricy as well. For example, i sure dont know how to eliminate the bandits on the bridge in Shrouded Hills with a gun. Any tips on the technologist would be extremely helpful.

2. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

I you want to think of it as cheating, go ahead. That's just the way the action point system works. As for guns, they are quite viable. Get a Looking-Glass Rifle or a Blade Launcher and watch the enemy fall. An then there's something veeerrryyy special in Vendigroth...

You should also learn how to make your own bullets.

3. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

you can buy the bullets schematic at the herbalist I believe, or at a blacksmith.

Moltovs don't use action points, that's not a bug. While we're on the subject, they'll help you defeat the bandits. Other than that, if you can position yourself in a way that only one half-ogre can come at you at a time, you'll be in good shape.

4. Mercury

Mercury New Member

Yes, yes, i know how to make the bullets. And geting powerful firearms is not as easy on your first play through.

Anyway, cant anybody suggest anything on a technologist who isnt about throwing? The guns just cant handle much of anything at the start. I was thinking about the poison making skill. Do you need throwing to use those acids? Or perhaps the chemicals that boost your stats...

5. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

Mercury, if you would play real-time mode, grenad throwing would not be cheating. It would be simply uneffective in most situations.

6. Mercury

Mercury New Member

Real time is just too fast for me and i always prefer turn based. Are you saying that there is no way out for a technologist without throwing?

*Sighs* I was having such fun, but there is *always* a catch.

7. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

No, on high level you can create your mechanical companions. And if your firearms are good, you must have no problem with enemies if you use good gun, as, for example, Droch warpringer(oh, it's in the end of game) or gun that has master of stealing staying in Kenstington park in Tarant. This gun is fast and quite powerful.

8. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

If you focus solely on getting a Looking-Glass Rifle, you can get one before level 15 (or before level 10 if you're sickly) and that puts a big dent in things. I'll dig up my uber-technologist and post his skills sometime.

9. Mercury

Mercury New Member

Well, i just started the game and everything is going fine. I eliminated every enemy with ease, except i had to use a haste potion with the bridge bandits. I was quite surprised at the power of the fine revolver(yes, yes, im a noob, i know).

10. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

Why noob ? Revolver is quite effective. Good relationship price(technology requirements)/power.

11. Mercury

Mercury New Member

I just thought that people here are so veterans that they are used to teslaguns or heavy machineguns.

12. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

It's stereotype. "Cheap&Good" was used in every time

13. Gabriel

Gabriel New Member

Hey Mercury, not everyone here is a veteran, myself played only 5 times and im here.

14. Mercury

Mercury New Member

Do you mean five times through to the end or did you just turned Arcanum on five times?

15. Canis

Canis New Member

He means he turned his computer on five times, by himself.

16. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Heh.. I think I've played it... Alot of times. Lost the count, actually.

17. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

I think I've done everything in the game, during that testing time with the editor anyway. Get an IM, "I need you to get a boulder, two rags, and a heartstone, and you can't have any tech in explosives or firearms."

18. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

I still mess around with the editor. However, my ideas keep getting sidetracked by things I think are cool...i.e I WAS making a Arcanum II mod, but I got sidtracked into making a mod where you could become a drug lord...now I'm trying to put in telephones. If I ever finish anything it's going to be a doozy, but I would count on that happening anytime soon.

As for Arcanum, I've only completed it once, put I gooten to the Void aver thirty times. The Void just isn't very impressive to me, especially after Vendigroth.

19. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

The first time I walked into the Vendrigroth ruins... Oh dear lord I was half-way between a heart ache and an orgasm.

20. Mercury

Mercury New Member

Okay, i think my character has reached a stasis. Basically i was using a fine revolver every time. Now i reached such skills that i am able to construct a looking glass rife, a high velocity gun and an accelerator gun. And here is the problem... The looking glass rifle does more damage than the fine revolver, but i can fire it 2-3 less. So basically it comes together that the damage is mostly the same. Also, the huge range is of little mather, because i could hit everything anyway. I also could carry light in my other hand which enabled me to shoot in the dark with the revolver.

The accelerated gun is the same as the looking glass rifle. I even dont know what the hell is the point of the high velocity gun. By stats its just weaker than the fine revolver and yet it needs uber skills to construct it. What gives?

I was just hoping to get something of the similiar speed as the fine revolver, but with more power. Instead i got only guns with different stats that in conclusion deal the same amount of damage.

Any suggestions? I really need some extra power. I can barely handle the tough things.

Our Host!