Where the demo has ended for me

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Solid Snake, May 14, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Solid Snake

Solid Snake New Member

Hello, fellow players. We have discussed a week ago the specifics of Arcanum Demo system requirements and the ability to play it on the relatively slow PCs. Just as a remainder, I was eventually able to start the Demo in the "Safe Mode" and even in a rather slow way, I managed to get into the Shrouded Hills (I bet it's the Fallout 2 Broken Hills analogue! :smile: ...

So, just to provide you with some more "semi-tester's" info, this is where my demo walkthrough ended. Since the city contains more "active" graphics and graphical layers, my PC slowed everything down SO MUCH, that it's simply dangerous to play on - I might break my PC being in the uncontrolled rage! WRRAAWWRRRR! :sad:

But I'm that crazy, so having a new and relatively good laptop, I have decided to buy another new PC just because of this crappy game coming in September... Do you see, fellows, what these games are going to us?!!!...

2. gridflay

gridflay New Member

Grrr!
    Thanks Snake, now I've got you trying to make me cry...

Yeah, time for a new laptop.

*sigh*

3. Solid Snake

Solid Snake New Member

I know, it a herecy in this board, but I really have nothing to lose now, man, so I'm going to say it - GOD DAMN THESE DEVELOPERS, who are making the graphics SO HEAVY and resource consuming!!!!!

I would have understood this, IF the graphics would be REALLY MAGNIFICENT, but it's not!!!....

4. gridflay

gridflay New Member

I agree. There is more to it, though- part of it is taking advantage of available resources. You're a game developer- you know how much harder it is to write small, rather that big. If you've got big ideas, you have to figure you're gonna use everything you've been given, you know? With 'average' systems packing >500 MhZ CPUs, >16MB video memory, and >10GB HDDs, you figure they'll use it if it helps them tell the story the way they want to. It also encourages (or at least fails to punish) sloppiness and excess, of course.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gridflay on 2001-05-14 02:07 ]</font>

5. Azira

Azira New Member

I think the graphics are nice. I didn't experience any really bad slowdowns when I tested the beta back in November, and this was on my K6-2 350 MHz, 98 meg RAM, 16 meg VRAM, 6 GB harddisk computer.
    If it's the videocard, try to run it in "safe mode". It might actually improve performance if say, your graphics card sucks.

6. Bad Buck

Bad Buck New Member

I jus thought id say (even tho ill get flamed for it :smile: )
    Its workin fine on mine :smile:
    tho it is a P3 800 32 Mb graphics card an 20G hard drive.
    however on my wifes P2 400 it dont go so well at all....... there are slowdowns even in the wilderness an she has a 10Gb hard drive as well as a 16Mb graphics card. :sad:

7. gridflay

gridflay New Member

Buck- we were talking about running Arcanum on laptops.
    Nobody's gonna flame you for having an actual computer.
    :wink:

8. stravaig

stravaig New Member

I've a 700mhz ThinkPad, and the Demo runs very, very nicely in Safe Mode.
    I get the missing art slowdowns, but otherwise I've no complaints.
    It's also extremely stable.

- Stravaig

9. gridflay

gridflay New Member

What are you running for video on that thinkpad?

Our Host!