Heavy Metal!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rEt.aR.d, Nov 24, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

What's the best music genre?

1. Heavy Metal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Pop

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Classical

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Punk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Rock

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Rhythm and Blues

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Gospel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Jazz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Latin American

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Blues

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Country

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Eletronic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Reggae

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Hip Hop / Rap

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rEt.aR.d

rEt.aR.d New Member

Come on, who of you listen to Heavy Metal? There must be someone here who listens to it. If you do, please tell me, Blind Guardian, Metallica, System of a Down, Iron Maiden, Sepultura, whatever. Those are just some of the mainstream bands and I'm actually interested in some of the more underground ones like Cradle of Filth and Arch Enemy, or Gravewurm.

Oh, and if you're some punk-ass, hardcore cookie creamer, please don't post here and think you're a metalhead. The following bands are examples of PUNK or POP and not METAL: Avril Lavigne (if you tell me you listen to that crap music I will kick you in the shin), Slipknot and Adema. Don't think: "Look at me, I'm a punk-ass hardcore metalhead" if you listen to that.

2. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Haha, COF is hardly underground anymore.

3. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

i listen to avril lavigne.

i'm proud to be a mainstream faggot!

4. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

I listen to mainstream music too, and I'm not ashamed. i'm not proud either though. I just don't give a fuck.

But seriously, I think most of the "underground" music is just plain better than mainstream. (with the exception of Metallica, of course)

5. rEt.aR.d

rEt.aR.d New Member

Yes, I guess you're right, Cradle isn't underground anymore, was when I started listening to them though. But it is alot less mainstream than Metallica. Your average person won't know what Cradle is while your average person would know what Metallica is. By the way, u lolled again.

Metallica rules the world!!!! If you say otherwise I'll kick you in the balls (assuming you have balls at least)!! They just remain the fathers of Heavy Metal (making Black Sabbath the grandfathers of Heavy Metal :p ). I don't like St. Anger as much as some of their older albums though (Black album is truely a masterpiece).

Oh and I don't have much of a problem if you listen to that other stupid music, I just don't like it. But I HATE it when people mistake punks for metalheads. It's just truely sad and disturbing.

Come on, I still haven't heard the names of any bands that I don't know, fire away.

Edit: Yay, 100th post!

6. Silvara

Silvara New Member

I like some Avril Lavigne songs, though I do agree that referring to them as "metal" is downright retarded.
    Metallica still rules mind you. Iron Maiden is great too. Rock on! (Now if only there were a horns smiley round here...)

7. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

What? Where?

Anywho, this is what i listen to:
    Metallica
    Disturbed
    Deftones
    Rammstein
    Turbonegro
    Stonegard
    Queen
    In Flames
    Flogging Molly
    Breaking Benjamin
    Element Eighty

...and then a shitload of bands that I've only got one song by.

8. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

i soulseek, and i listen to pretty much everything from Abba to Backstreet Boys to Bad Religion (best band EVAH!!!!!!!) to Enya to Beethoven to Eminem. it doesn't matter. right now i'm going through a celtic/gypsy/israeli hip hop phase...

9. Canis

Canis New Member

What are you, twelve? Metallica might have been at the forefront of thrash metal, but calling them the "fathers of heavy metal" is a bit much.

Besides, James Hetfield once spilled his beer on me, so Metallica can bite my ass.

10. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

11. Canis

Canis New Member

Tempting, but I got all that out of my system in college.

12. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

*sniff sniff* Hey look... I smell the beginnings of a prick-waving contest... metal is metal. Who cares who listened to it first? Isn't it better to just sit back and enjoy the music? Oh, and I don't like Metallica. They don't rule the world. Enter Sandman and a few other songs are listenable, but they are over-played, over-hyped, and not as great as many of the other bands out there. Ever heard of Soil? That's an awesome metal band. Or how about Nevermore? They're a local band to the area (Seattle), and they come from one of the finest 80s bands to ever exist: Sanctuary. I'mn't at my house, as I'm away visiting family for the holidays, but once I'm back I'll list off some of the less-heard of bands I like, since I figure that it's good to give others the chance to expose themselves to musc they'ven't heard before. =)

13. Sofokl

Sofokl New Member

You rEt.aR.d prefer Heavy Metal, I also like it, but my favorite music is !!!DEATH METAL!!!: Zombie Ritual, Napalm Death, Cannibal Corpse, Deceide
    It's the best music to walk on streets, fight with someone and make homework. But if you will hear it long time at the large volume, your head will be like this: :smash: :smash: :smash: And it's METAL

14. Notharah

Notharah New Member

Hmz... I preferrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

most Black Metal
    a lot of Death Metal
    Battle Metal
    Power Metal
    '''''goth''''' metal
    symphonic metal
    classical metal

etc etc. ;)

Bands? Sure:

nightwish, Sirenia, Haggard, Finntroll, Ensiferum, Turisas, Elexorien, Tristania, Suidakra, After Forever, Therion, SUMMONING!!!, Dimmu Borgir, Agalloch, Fairyland, Lacuna Coil... and so on and so on :D

15. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

In my opinion, 'Nightfall on Middle-Earth' by Blind Guardian is about as good as heavy metal gets. And it's only really good. I wouldn't call it great. But then, I'm not a metalhead, don't claim to be, don't want to be, and don't really admire people who are. In fact, I really can't see how heavy metal ever became popular. Most of it just sounds like noise as opposed to music, but to each his own I guess.

What I really can't stomach is rap. Rap artists are all a bunch of pretentious fags with something to prove. They write about sex all the time, but probably couldn't get any before they got rich. They write about guns like it's an admirable thing to 'bust a cap in a nigga's head' because he's wearing the wrong color in the wrong part of town. They think it's cool to call women 'bitches' and intentionally slurr their speach till it is almost unintelligible. As much as I hate rap artists, I hate rap fans more. They are also pretentious fags, but they can't even come up with their own ideas. They try to like what rap artists like, wear what rap artists wear, walk like they walk, talk like they talk, and drive what they drive. They speak gibberish and wonder why they can't get a good job. They spend $500 on a single outfit, buy an Escalade, spend $2000 on spinner rims, $2000 more on a sound system, and wonder why they can't pay off their credit card debt and get out of the slums. They sell drugs, shoot people who piss them off, and resort to rape if they can't get laid, and wonder why there are more of them in prison.

Anyway, that's enough out of me. Metallica sucks.

16. rEt.aR.d

rEt.aR.d New Member

*Kicks Canis, DarkFool and Jungle Japes in the balls as promised*

Okay these are the bands of those I know and also listen to:
    Metallica
    Disturbed
    Rammstein
    In Flames

These are the bands that I have heard but don't like:
    Deftones
    Queen

These are the bands I've never heard of:
    Turbonegro
    Stonegard
    Flogging Molly
    Breaking Benjamin

Are they metal? Do you recommend them?

No you must have misunderstood me. When I say Heavy Metal I usually mean Metal in general, not the specific genre Heavy Metal (don't know why, just one of the things I do). I actually also like Death Metal more than most other types of Metal. Of those bands you mentioned I have heard and like Cannibal Corpse, Napalm Death and Deceide, never herd od Zombie Ritual. I heavily recommend Sepultura's older material (don't like their new stuff as much), Darkane, Witchbane and Arch Enemy (don't know if you'll like them as much, their different from other Death Metal, for example they've got a female vocalist). Might not exactly be in your genre of music, but you have to try Children of Bodom (you probably have but anyway).

Ah, another one like me, I see you also listen to a many genres. Hmm...

I have heard and like:
    Nightwish
    Dimmu Borgir
    Lacuna Coil
    Summoning

I haven't heard all the rest. Quite alot. Their names seem to make them similar to Nightwish? I like that Nightwish type of music. Try Dream Theater. Some of their stuff SUCKS but some of their stuff is truely amazing. Also try Within Temptation maybe. I've only heard one of their songs but it's a really cool song.

I also think Nightfall is a great album, but there are better, have you ever tried Demons & Wizards (Blind Guardian vocalist and some members from Iced Earth)? I disagree that Metal is just noise. You and I are in the same boat about Rap by the way.

For all you lovers of OLD SCHOOL Metal (not rock, mind you) try Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Manowar and Hammerfall.

PS. must be my longest post ever.

17. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Clearly you don't know what you're taling about.

@rEt.aR.d: Turbonegro and Stonegard are both norwegian bands. Stonegard is probably the best metal Norway has ever produced, IMO.

Flogging Molly is an Irish "folk-punk" band.

Breaking Benjamin is metal too, but not too hard. It's very melodic. (so is Stonegard by the way (melodic that is))

[edit]: How can you *not* like queen??

18. rEt.aR.d

rEt.aR.d New Member

No problem with Melodic Metal. I'm pretty sure I won't like Flogging Molly

Well, their vocalist is [Edit = was] gay and he sings like a girl, for one. I guess some of their stuff is bearable.

But PLEASE people, you have to try Demons & Wizards. Doesn't seem like any of you have ever heard of them.

19. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

What the? The man had one of the most beautiful and powerful voices ever.

20. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

*sets off to d/l some flogging molly...* thank you for the suggestion, vyenna. i'm not big on the metal thing. i like some mainstream metal, but anything harder than that just sounds like noise... of course, i loooooove punk, and most would consider that a lot of noise, but i think it comes down to a preference in how you want your instruments not played, and the type of screaming you're into...

Our Host!