Well, it says fuckin dnd...

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons Discussion Forum' started by Blinky969, Mar 14, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

So why the hell not, who wants to play some good ole fashioned, geek hailing, goblin smashing, dwarf molesting dnd?

2. SirChet

SirChet New Member

Uh.. I do, and I still havn't figured out the connection between geeks and DnD. I know it's said over and over again, but I didn't even hear about DnD until I was in the Army, and we got snowed in alot (Baumholder Germany) and we played to build team coheasion,(and fun).

Oh well....just an old infantry soldier voicing his opinion.

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I would certainly like to do it, problem is, my life is never so regular that I can do stuff like this without being absent about half of the sessions.

Besides, you'll probably be playing when I'm asleep anyway, time differences being what they are.

4. SirChet

SirChet New Member

Blinky969:

Are you talking about getting an online game together, if so please give me more details. I would like to join in if possible. I'm on eastern time, (central Florida)

5. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

D&D found it's geeky origans in the form of sad, forlorn highschool and college nerds who, feeling ostrisized and unloved, formed groups to adventure in a world where, if a hulking brute insulted them, they could decapitate them with their +7 Vorpal Greatsword of Flaming Burst. The fact that they soon found this adventuring just as appealing as the out-of-reach-hotties populating their campuses (mainly, I belive, because the fictional Elven hotties could be bedded with a successful roll of the dice)
    led to constant conversations about the aformentioned Greatswords and Elven hotties, which, being overheard by certain non-D&D playing people, caused much confusion. Due to their inability to procces the though of life revolving around anyone but themselves, the so-called "popular" people (as people often do when confronted with something beyond their understanding) proceeded to mock and ridicule the nerds. Why the choose "geek" is unclear, as before those times it meant someone who bit the heads off of live birds during concerts. It could be surmised that the aforementioned "popular" people associated a similar disgust with the D&D players as that of a housewife observing a avian decapitation onstage. The association has persisted ever since. (It is also possible that some of the nerds had bit the heads off of birds in order to more fully appreciate the inner motivations of the barbarian the were playing.)

6. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

1. Gravedig

2. Thats not how D&D was created, but hey, whatever you wanna believe

3 :p

7. SirChet

SirChet New Member

Ahhhh:

So that's how it started. I never bit the heads of any birds.........ok, ok I don't remember doing that :lol: ..........so......is there a game to be started.

8. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

It's not like this is the most active forum. But sorry anyway. The story just popped into my head.

And I know that's not how D&D was created, it's just how it got it's "geek" association.

I own a +7 Vorpal Greatsword of Flaming Burst.
    :thinkof:

9. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

I interpreted that as: D&D was created by geeks, etc. Ah well, maybe its just me.

10. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

so anyway, I am AGAIN looking to start a new game, although atm it's more like I'm looking for people to bitch at me enough that I get creative. Any takers?

11. Corvin Marcus

Corvin Marcus New Member

I'd like to join.I've never played D&D on a forum before, but I had some matches in real life(pen and paper style).

What tools are we allowed to use to create our characters, what is the general begining(so I can develop my background) and will there be any house rules I should know about?

I hope we DO get to create our own characters, and not pregenerated ones.... :roll:

Last question, what is the manner in wich we are playing?I'm new to this thing, so any documentation you could refer me to would be a plus.

12. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Well, the current progress on that is as follows. The game idea is September stumbled to not happening. I still have the details, thinking on giving it another go.

I've spent the past week getting one of my friend's games going, rounding up people etc, Mag's playing in that one if you care.

We don't play on the forum. We could, but we don't. There's no dice rolling system, and while everyone always liked to think everyone else is going to be as honest as they are, someone will always be a douche and cheat the dice if left to their own. If there was a dice command or something, that would be different.

We play in AOL chatrooms. If you have AIM, you can make them whenever you want, invite whoever you want, name them different shit, and there is a rather flexible dice command.

13. Corvin Marcus

Corvin Marcus New Member

I see your problem.How about this?

http://www.irony.com/mailroll.html

14. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Member Supporter

DonĀ“t let him fool you with his jokes about the origins of D&D. Those were not in the least about hot elven babes but about serious military business and simulatin medieval combat, creating the "Chainmail" ruleset for simulating historical military combat. Fantasy which would become the grandfather of D&D was just an addendum to the game
    https://ddanddragons.wordpress.com/2018/06/01/pre-history-of-dd-chainmail/

Our Host!