Is there anyone can help me?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by silaris, Sep 26, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

On my XP PC, I found it worked REALLY well in 98 Compatability Mode. It sucks in any other mode though.

2. Grinning Goblin

Grinning Goblin New Member

Well, I too am having some problems with Windows XP and using SP 2(If that makes a difference).

Well, I did download the English Patch and it still won't load for me. I mean, I have enought RAM(512 DDR), so I know it can't be that.

Should I just try reinstalling it and seeing what happens then? I already tried a few suggestions from this topic and I just don't know what to do.

3. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

You said the English patch, do you have the English version?

4. Grinning Goblin

Yeah.

Well, I tried to reinstall it. I just try to start it up and it doesn't even want to try or something.

Edit:

Things I tried:

Tried to update display drivers-No effect
    Tried to run on different compatabilities-No effect
    Tried to run on different "Arcanums"(ie Safemode, Fullscreen)-Got the error message of "Unable to load fuction: FT_Thunk KERNEL32.dll)
    Tried to run on different resolutions-No effect
    Tried to run the CD on the different CD Trays-No effect
    Tried to reinstall, run without patch-No effect
    Tried to reinstall, run with patch-No effect
    Tried swearing at the computer-No effect
    Tried ignoring the computer-No effect
    Tried having fun without the computer thus isolating it-No effect
    Tried using reverse psychology- No effect
    Tried telling the computer that Arcanum didn't have trouble running on ME-No effect
    Tried spitting on the computer-No effect
    Tried dripping orange juice on the processor-Small fire started resulting in a terrible stench, otherwise, no effect
    Tried drugging my computer to have my way with it-No effect
    Tried bribing my computer with chocolates-No effect

Seriously, I thought dealing with computers was always way easier than dealing with women! I mean, when I played this on ME years ago, I never had these problems.

5. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Yea, usually women give up at the dipping in orange juice...

6. Grinning Goblin

Hmm...I think I may have figured out the problem.

According to the Car mod, I do not have "arcanum6.dat" or "Arcanum.PATCH2" installed. I'm not sure exactly how to go about this, but maybe something has gone wrong after all these years with the CDs and I may need to buy a new copy.

7. Canis

Canis New Member

There's no such thing as Arcanum6.dat, unless you have a third-party mod installed.

8. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

9. Grinning Goblin

All right. I found out how to fix this. I can not, under any circumstance run this game normally. That is a given. So, the only solution I found was to use a No CD patch. The game runs perfectly now.

I decided to do a google search for "Unable to load function: FT_Thunk (KERNEL32.dll)", and guess what? Multiple sites popped up with similar problems. I couldn't believe it. From JoWood games, to Sim City 3000, to Diablo 2, to BF 1942, and I finally found an answer in the AVP2 forum, which just told me to apply the No CD patch. I'd like to thank all of you who at least tried to help me.

Now, there is one thing though, that really creeped me out. In a few of the posts that I found, I noticed that they all said that their game ran fine on Windows ME(Considered by many the crappiest Windows OS, of course, when I ask "Why?", I never get an answer). Is this some sort of curse with Windows ME when going to XP? Is there some sort of crazy witch doctor in the Caribbean listening to Rasta jams while he cackles at the idea of people trying to play games on Windows XP? My guess...is maybe.

10. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Windows XP fucking blows, that's why. No Dos, no anything fun.

11. fireant99

fireant99 New Member

You said that your computer is in chinese or windows or something and you are using the english version of the Arcanum game. So maybe it has something to do with that.

12. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Actually, my XP doesn't have either of the XP Service packs, that may make a difference. I've found that a lot of my more computer-inclined friends are having trouble with installing and using older programs once the service packs are in...

13. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

Same here. my Arcanum works fine on my computer, which hasen't been updated in 2 years, but nothing old runs on my friends new computer, which he got three months ago. Windows. Sucks. Period. I can't wait for windows Vista. *rolls eyes*

Our Host!