England Mod...?

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by dessa, Sep 15, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. dessa

dessa New Member

if i remember correctly there was a guy who made a world map and everything work in this game, would it be possible to make an arcanum mod but instead of the silly looking clumpy map, an accurate scale map of the british isles, with some of the major cities added and with a fair few more cities, how there was so few settlements in arcanum kinda pissed me off.

but most importantly the story would have to have less holes that really pissed me off.

2. lord of halifax

lord of halifax New Member

3. dessa

dessa New Member

im still trying to work out how to use the world editor to export images to a set place, but after i work out the shades on the bitmap for terrain and work out the workings of the program, i can write a program to convert bitmap images to the world editor, and that would be most of the work done in a few hours.
    then you go over it, add a few cities here and there and then the programming would have to be done.

4. stang4me2

stang4me2 New Member

While you're at it why don't you just make a whole new version of the game? And if it's good enough, it might sell.

5. dessa

dessa New Member

a program to convert bitmap images shouldn't be a problem and would take an hour maybe two to write, its just i haven't worked out the program yet, (mostly coz im really lazy and haven't got around to booting up in linux) i can make a bitmap of england with correct shadings for certain terrain in a few minutes, i think the programming of events and npc's etc would take far longer then this, oh and the making of the cities which i don't think i can import.

6. stang4me2

stang4me2 New Member

I take it you're from England? I don't know about everyone else, but I don't think I would want to play Arcanum like that. I would, however, like to play a version similar to the orginal but with a new storyline, updated graphics, and playable on a next gen console. In other words it would be too wierd to play it like your talking about. Anyway you might as well just make a totaly different game, cause it just wouldn't be Arcanum any more. But, you're the one that is going to be playing it, so if you can get it to work, go for it.

7. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Ya know, I was gonna say: "what do you need consoles for? youve got a pc, dont ya?", but now im just gonna go play some FF VII on my playstation... playstation 1 that is...

8. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

I dunno, an England Arcanum might be kinda cool. Bitch of a time to make but cool none the less.

9. stang4me2

stang4me2 New Member

I don't know, it would be too different. It wouldn't really be Arcanum. Maybe I've just played it too many times to accept it any other way.

10. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Given that Arcanum is set in a steampunk setting meant to emulate Victorian England, I'd say go for it. It could be something like Lionheart, and while that game sucked for several reasons, alternate reality is, in my opinion, a theme the gaming industry could use a good bit more.

Preferably, such a game (well, mod to be specific) should include popular characters of the time, such as Sherlock Holmes (I know he's a purely fictionate character, but in an alternate reality he needn't be).

11. stang4me2

stang4me2 New Member

I agree it could be a cool game, but it just wouldn't be Arcanum.

12. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Arcanum could only be Arcanum if it remained in the Arcanum world, yes. As a mod though, I think it's a good idea, though I can only imagine how much work there would be to actually create a whole new worldmap.

13. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

dessa...... you're either really cool or completely ignorant as to the marvellous piece of programming called WorldEd that you'll soon be familiarizing yourself with.

Our Host!