Arcanum Editor 1.8 Opinions needed on possible addition.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DKoepp, Sep 25, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DKoepp

DKoepp New Member

As the title suggested I need some opinions on a possible feature I am thinking about adding. Who wants me to allow changing of race and gender. Know that right now when you do change such things your character will remain with the same graphics as before and I have not fully played through the game with a changed character so it might cause problems later. With the changes I do not think you will lose your old race benefits or get the new ones. Though everyone in the game will start to treat you like that race or gender.
    Also if I add this function should I make Dark Elves and Ogres a playable race. The problem with these races is that some of the npc dialogue do not have these as playable race and thus would say missing dialogue in the game unless someone edits the mes files.
    Like the other changes I am not sure if you can finish the game as these races. I was wondering around as a Dark elf in an almost finished game and noticed several things. First I do think you can get into their city without trouble, though I could not enter Quintarra anymore the option to do so would not pop up.
    Anyway should I allow the people to change gender and race in my editor?

2. Dakun

Dakun New Member

no

i don't think that is a necessary thing (we'll i don't think editors are necessary) but... levels, stats... are one thing, changing race or gender... not only will it have the possiblity of messing up a lot of unfinished quests or possible future ones (like de from start... no way you can finish game cause you can't get into quintarra) but it is also something that the person has full controll over at the begining of the game (where exp/points/skills... is something that they have to work for ... and theirfor... some people would want to make easier for themselves)

(no)

3. villageidiot

villageidiot New Member

How about letting a character's health be edited, and allowing us to give characters more than 50 xp and 1000 fatigue. I also noticed that all my npc's were labeled age 20, but that isn't really much of a big deal.

4. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

5. DKoepp

DKoepp New Member

I am working on health but it is not stored with the rest of the stats and moves around much more then I would like. As for higher limits why do you want more then 1000 fatigue. I set that limit because it is there that the game will stop showing it in the bar.

6. DKoepp

DKoepp New Member

Backgrounds are a bit harder as some give effects that I cannot change and some even share the same identifier which can make it difficult to change too. Since this is the case I do not think changing backgrounds would be a good idea.

7. devilboy_22

devilboy_22 New Member

How about making one that works on my comp =)
    heh.. its not working for me.. i emailed calis today tho... whenever i open my saved file it asks for name so i type it in and all it does is show me His name and no other stats etc. i made another char to test and it still didnot work.. my arcanum version isnt updated if that matters (arghhh have 56krap modem (until i get my T3 that is=) ) but im getting 9,600kbps AHHH SO SLOW!)
    sigh
    J.D.

8. DKoepp

DKoepp New Member

Devilboy the version should not matter. As to what is wrong I cannot say exactly with how much details you provided. Tell me more about your character name? For some reason are you entering it in wrong or mistakenly opened the wrong save file.

9. villageidiot

villageidiot New Member

You can still raise your fatigue after you hit 1000 with gained xp. I don't know how far it goes, but it sure goes.

10. DKoepp

DKoepp New Member

I am not even sure how high it goes. The highest I ever edited it was well over 100,000 but I figured who needed that much fatigue.

11. Vovka100

Vovka100 Member

it would kick ass to get an item editor

12. Rojo

Rojo New Member

Hmm

Some items you can edit in the .mes files, but not everything.

DKoepp, is it possible for you to edit your inventory? I'm sure it would be a bitch and a half to get that to work, not to mention getting the ids for all the items in order to add them in. (Or if you may know the item id for Torian Kel's Ancestral Sword, I would be most apreciative :grin:)

13. Vovka100

Vovka100 Member

14. Elrond

Elrond New Member

The program is very useful. I just wish it had no problems with Windows XP. It gives the following message when trying to run the arcanum edit.exe file:

System error &H8007007E (-2147024770)

I wonder, what it means? :smile:

It works perfectly under Windows ME.

[​IMG]

Name: Elrond | Race: Elf | Gender: Male | Scheme: Warrior Mage Good | Background: Ladies man

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Elrond on 2001-09-25 19:52 ]</font>

15. devilboy_22

devilboy_22 New Member

My charcaters name is Regis. hehe cant realy mess it up... =

16. DKoepp

DKoepp New Member

Elrond I posted a response to your other message with that error so look at that one for help.
    Now Devilboy how about you send me a copy of that save and I will test it out to see if I can find anything physically wrong with the file. I have seen some before that my editor could not touch.

17. DKoepp

DKoepp New Member

Oh I forgot to address item editing with that last post. Well here is what I have on that so far. I have been able to move an item around though not physically change it yet. Still looking to find what marks an item that item. Adding new or deleting items corrupts the saves so that might not be possible. So basically now I am looking for the identifiers so I can change around existing items. Its going slow so I am not sure if and when that will be added.

18. Rojo

Rojo New Member

Hmm..

Just an idea, I'm sure that the item placement works somewhat like fallout did, considering how similar the games are, I know that in one fallout editor the closest thing to inventory editing was changing a particular item into another one, for instance, stimpaks into combat armor, and a 10mm pistol to a turbo plasma rifle. Are you familiar (hmm..dumb question) enough with the save files to look at a particular part of it to see just what numbers are there in the inventory? For instance, I pull everything out of my inventory except one item, would it be easy to see what is showing for that item's call number?

19. Mallory Jones

Mallory Jones New Member

how about putting in something fo radding or subtracting money

20. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

I did suggest this but DKoepp said since it is connected with the inventory, it would be very hard to edit this stuff. :smile:

Our Host!