Luchaire's Arcanum Magick System Revision

Discussion in 'News Comments' started by DarkUnderlord, May 2, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

You know, I've been thinking about that. Maybe it's time we just opened it up for everyone to upload their own avatar at will? It's not like our selection is OMG super-cool and people can still use the selection if they want.

In some respects I'm happy to see people actually posting in the news forum and not just wandering on by. It would be better if it wasn't year old threads but eh. Jarinor was really the anti-gravedigging one. I was inclined not to really be bothered by it all.

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

No, do NOT I repeat, DO not alter the avatar system. The system is good the way it is and it awards people for contributing to the community by only letting those with atleast 1000 posts have costum avatars. And if you opened up for that people would change avatars all the time and it would just en up being confusing.

Come to think of it I actually perferred the previous avatar sytem. ;)

3. Bunny

Bunny New Member

I don't mind the avatar thing (as long as I can keep mine), but I do agree with Xz in that it awards people for contributing to the community. Anyway, you do what you want, DU, and we'll follow you. Just don't jump over some bridge.

(P.S.-Gravedigging is annoying when people repeat what has been said before or insist on some long-dead topic, such as Multiplayer.)

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I actually prefered our original avatar system, but that's just me (since myself, Luchaire, Xz and DU are probably the only ones in this thread old enough to remember those days, well, back then your avatar was determined by your post count). I know this is very hypocritical coming from me, but I always liked the idea of custom ranks and avatars being something special.

Of course, DU is the boss and if he feels changing the current system will attract more members and whatnot, I won't get into the bitching and moaning either, just strongly resent the sudden influx of (and now I quote Exitium) "pictures of Tomb Raider, Bloodrayne, any anime character, Britney Spears, some hot model, some dumbass picture of your kid, some dumbass picture of you making a stupid face, some dumbass picture of you looking 'cool', some dumbass picture of your fat and ugly girlfriend, some dumbass picture you found on the internet that you apparently found funny, or some dumbass screencap from a movie that you found to be 'memorable'".

That being said, why is it that The Codex has Arcanum portraits on their menu but we don't?

5. Krystian

Krystian New Member

ok dark elf go on multiplayer just once on my game and if you can kill my char i'll quit forums or shut up or whatever....(you won't beat me lol :p) in fact even better you could make an multiplayer file then tell me the name and i'll go on it

6. Xz

You know, That sounds tempting, can I have the same deal?

:)

7. DarkUnderlord

... because I'm really a lazy bastard. Should pinch 'em from there and upload 'em here one day. I think they're originally our portraits anyway... Just re-sized for avatars. We've got a page of them somewhere here...

Which I see is busted as per usual. Lovely.

Don't push your luck. Just because I'm generally apathetic doesn't mean I won't play SMACKDOWN on your arse just for kicks.

8. Nukenin

Nukenin New Member

I like custom avatars, simply because I like to use [​IMG] as my avatar whenever I can.

I never liked post-reward systems... it encourages folks to spam.

9. Xz

Not in here it doesn't spammers get the spamcan avatar, or they end up banned...

10. Nukenin

Nukenin New Member

Topic segue--forum avatars/post counts

EDIT--apologies for the topic segue, I realize forum avatars and post counts have nothing to do with the initial topic, but that's nothing new for this particular topic thread it seems... --/\/

There's an old saying--one user's posting is another user's spam. But why punish (or rather not reward) those who contribute meaningfully to a community without having to post twenty times a day to do it? Post count is a bad metric to evaluate a member's community worth.

As far as folks changing avatars, one can just make it so that avatar changes are moderated. (Edit: Not that I'd ever expect it to work here, but some forums might do just that.)

Saying folks changing their avatars constantly would be a problem is horsecrock, because right now--folks can change their avatars constantly! Does anyone do it to the point where anyone else would care?

11. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Re: Topic segue--forum avatars/post counts

It's been generally accepted, and made a rule, that you need a minimum of 1000 posts before you can ask for a custom avatar. Other than that, you also need a definable personality* and not be in the administrators black book (yeah, it's all in the rules). The point is that these are the traditions of the forum; community worth will still be taken of note, people tend to be treated according to this worth - there have been instances where particularly notable members have been granted a custom even though they haven't exactly reached that 1000 post requirement.

It is a question of keeping the forum in style. Allow free avatars and there'll be dancing anime girls and all the other stuff previously listed. I'm very sure most members will show restraint, but there's just no helping some people.

*I'm getting more and more hypocritical aren't i?

12. Krystian

Krystian New Member

ok Xz you got the same deal lol but i don't have anything against you...

13. Bunny

Bunny New Member

How come, Krystian? I thought you were bitching against Xz as well as DE!

I guess that definitely eliminates spamming as a way to get your custom avatar, so Nukenin, your idea of "it encourages folks to spam" does not apply.
    Although I agree with that of "one user's posting is another user's spam."

14. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Id just like to steal a few seconds of your precious time and get down on my knees and beg. Please (!) dont allow custom avatars.

Thank you.

15. Krystian

Krystian New Member

WELL THEN BUNNY IT'S OBVIOUS THAT YOU ARE AS STUPID AS "DE"

16. Xz

Custum avatars is allowed, but only granted to "special" members. Just the way it should be. Just look at DE, that's a custom avatar. But no I agree, custom avatars shouldn't be for all and everyone.

That's too bad really, because I have something against you, or more specifically your retardness. (Bitching at legends, like DE, doesn't exactly make you look any good in my book.)

EDIT:-> Fixed typo.

17. Baal

Baal New Member

I haft to agree… custom avatars should be for people who are special, or have been here for a long time. even if I too wanted one, but I still need to look for a good one anyway.

I like them the way they are. You can pick one, but real custom ones are for the real members.

18. Xz

19. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

don't forget the first rule of custom avatars... if you ask for one, you will never recieve it...

also, I'M SPECIAL!!! look upon my fancy-smancy movable avatar!!!!

20. DarkUnderlord

Our Host!