Greatest Movie Ever Made

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Icairus, Jan 24, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Ahh but you see, you are wrong
    I´m an norwgian hence i understand all.

2. JustaFishInaJar

JustaFishInaJar New Member

I think after 5 more of these,"ahh but you see," this will go straight to the vault.

3. DEATH AT THE DOOR

DEATH AT THE DOOR New Member

I never personally liked LotR. The characters, except for Boromir, are too flat for an Epic Fantasy book. Hobbit was better.

4. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

That why it hard to make than good paper and pencil role playing game on the Lord Of the Ring. The best one was ICE MERP and Rolemaster they got in touble with the estate of the Authour by saying that GM and player donot needed to follow the books blindly.

5. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Sorry, but there are books just as good or better than LOTR. And this coming from someone who tried to learn Quenya...

6. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

The War of Ring Paper and pencil role playing game that was totaly true to the book would not be fun to play as everybody would know the outcome. Look at the long lasting game playing of Morrowind, Daggerfall, and Arnea by Bethesda Aoftworks.

7. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

But you are wrong silvara. There is no better books. Noone above and noone on the side.

8. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

technically, this is considered gravedigging. not that i care, or anything, but i have a really short attention span, and you're making me think about things i forgot 9 days ago.

9. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

The Pope forgave your sin of gravedigging.

10. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

What the fuck?.... Chuck made a punny?.....

11. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

hey, it's qili who needs the pope's forgiveness, not me.

12. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

India Bollywood and other nations remake part of our moive to either remove very virole or overly sexual part from our film before releaseing them. In India there is no kissing allow in they film of than sexual nature. In India Culture there is no kissing in public between man and woman even it you are marrage to her, there is no hand holding either(not too sure about this).

13. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

and yet one day out of the year they celebrate the festival of the transvestite...

14. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I deem we demote India from it's status as "Civilized."

15. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

Qili...you REALLY need to explore of the science-fiction/fantasy genre of written material. There are quite a few books that are comparatively as good as if not better than LotR. Ever read any of the Dragonriders of Pern novels by Anne McCaffery? Or the books containing Drizzt Do'Urden(there are about 20) by R.A.Salvatore? Ever read anything by David Eddings such as the Belgariad, Mallorean, Elenium, or Tamuli? How about Stephen King's Dark Tower series? Dragonlance? Forgotten Realms? The Wheel of Time?

Check back when you can truly say that you have read enough books in the genre to be able to speak like that. Because even the most die hard LotR/Tolkien fans that I know or have met will admit that LotR is good, but not the best. LotR is simply Tolkien's most famous/popular. Ever read any of Tolkien's other works??

16. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    You know, I had read something 60+ fantasy novels before I even bothered with LotR. Can't say I was that impressed (this is one of those occasions where I'll have to admit I liked the film better than the book). I actually tried plodding through the Silmarilion, which has about as much excitement to it as a glass of diluted water. The only Tolkien book I really liked was The Hobbit. :)

In addition to Junkies' list I'd like to add everything written by Terry Pratchett, the Death Gate Cycle books by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman and the Deverry chronicles by Katherine Kerr.

17. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

Hmmm...good ones DE. I have read some of those as well, just didnt come to mind at the time I was writing. Pratchett is quite good, and so is the Death Gate Cycle. I would also say that my most recent find was surprizingly good: Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley(great new twist on the Arthurian legend)

18. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

All the books everyone is talking about pretty much bored me to tears when I started reading them. They've got about as much artistic/useful/philosophical meat as your average steak, which is entirely composed of blood and gore.

19. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

try Kushiel's Dart. i forget who wrote it, but the story is awesome. to give you some idea, the heroine is a masochist spy...

20. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

I have read atleast one book from all the aforementioned series exept the dark tower series (this because of other experiences with stephen king) and i have to say that they were all below the LOTR or any book written by tolkien. Way below actually. I have explored the fantasy book universe alot and i cannot say that i have found any books that are better than lotr. I'm searching still for those earth sea novels that rosie spoke of.

I have read the LOTR at least 20 times by now, the Hobbit about 30 and the Silimarilion atlest five and i can assure you that LOTR is the better. But doubt in this matter can be understood and thus you are forgiven.

I have read all books by terry pratchet exept his most recent ones since he somewhere around book 20-25 started to be boring. Cannot wait for the next rincewind book to come out.

Our Host!