We're in Trouble

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter Quincy, Oct 25, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

I read an interesting story in the latest Scientific American lately concerning the American missile defence system. Our current defence system launches a rocket at a missile while it is in the upper atmospere and measurs up as follows:

-has a 5 out of 8 success in tests BUT
    -that was only with homing beacons in the dummy warheads
    -can only be used against missiles launched from more than 1500 km away
    -is not effective against warheads when they are deployed with decoys
    -we have only 6 rockets guarding the west coast
    -warheads can EASILY be outfitted so the so-called "high-tech" and "advanced" aquisition systems don't have a chance in hell.
    -all this has cost 80 billion dollars ($80,000,000,000)

Now I know it is unlikely that America will face an all-out nuclear strike. But when we aren't likely to intercept ONE I get a little worried. Methinks me shalt go and build a bunker.

2. Womble

Womble New Member

5 out of 8??? Must have been the Patriots. Their success rate is quite low (60%) because they are originally designed as an anti-aircraft, not anti-missile, weapon.

BUT don't dig yourself a shelter just yet. First, if needed, the US can buy or produce the much better Israeli anti-missile system, the Arrow (estimated effectiveness over 80 percent):

And if this isn't good enough for you- wait until the THEL is operational...

3. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

I remember when they were supposedly testing star wars off the coast of california and there was suddenly a gigantic swirly, snakey white cloud in the sky over my house. It was sort of scary to see. Too bad I just spent like, 20 minutes on google looking for a picture of it, and found nothing... :(

4. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Oh no! Our missile defence system only works 5 out of 8 times! No one else even has a missile defence system! WE'RE SO VULNERABLE AND I'M VERY VERY SCARED!

5. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

yea, but who would shoot a missle at Australia? Trying to bomb australia is like shooting the broad side of a barn. Trying to bomb something inhabited in Australia is like trying to shoot a spider that's about halfway up said side of the barn, a little to right of the center.

6. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Why the hell would we have any use for a missile shielding system?

7. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Astonishingly true. There's just a lot of empty space around here. And the fucking Asians want to invade it all with their boat people settlers. CURSE THEM TO THE DEPTHS OF A THOUSAND HELLS!

8. Quethim

Quethim New Member

To...protect us from missles, maybe?

Just a suggestion. :p

And, I think that we spend more money of defence then anything else...maybe they know there will be a full attack on us or something...you know the government, always hiding things from us.

9. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

bah, let them shoot their missiles... i'm unlucky, i'll die in the initial blast anyway, so i could give a damn about all the poor fuckers living in nuclear winter...

10. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

So Jar... your asians are like our cubans... interesting... do they at least sell yuo cigars?

11. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Blinky, asians aren't known for their cigars, they're known for their OPIUM!

12. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

This is your brain on drugs:

snowcone. elephant. half-way wilted hydrainga. isotope. scroll bar. run to Sudan. melty. pull the cat. snowcone.

13. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Except there's hundreds of millions of asians all looking to get in.

Also, a nuclear winter would make Australia the place to be on Earth, because there's nothing worth shooting here and everyone wants to come anyway. And I'd be standing up at the Cape York Peninsula with a guy saying "Stay the fuck out of my radiation free country you horrible radioactive mutants!"

15. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

16. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

I like Australia. It's still got space in it. Maybe I should move out there so I can repel the alien mutants too. :wink:

17. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

If you move out there, there will be less space, but you won't notice. What you WILL do is tell all your friends how awesome living in australia is, because there is so much space, and if they don't move there themselves, they'll at least spread the word that australia still has lots of wide open spaces. This word of mouth b.s. will continue until people actually start moving there, and building condoes and running over wallabees with their SUV's, and Australia will have the same sprawl we do. Its just like all the Californians invading Oregon.

18. mathboy

mathboy New Member

And then you'll be alone in the US, don't complain.

AUSTRALIA IS GREAT, MOVE THERE!!!

19. Noriko Sakai

Noriko Sakai New Member

20. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

HEY, sleek's not American, he's a dumbass. His actions/opinions cannot be used to show in any microcosm the larger opinions of the united states. We, as a nation, renounce his anarchist ass.

Our Host!