USA residents - sending mail from USA to Europe.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dragoon, Oct 1, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Hi I need some help, as I can get some really good RAM bu I need it sent from USA to Poland (Germany or England might do as well). Unfortunately I can't find anyone providing such service aside from DHL and they would charge ~150$ for it which basicaly makes such a transaction unprofitable.

Hence I ask US residents for help in finding a delivery service company which would ship a package containing 4 RAM sticks from New York to Poland (preferably), Germany or England.

2. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

I know fedex has an international shipping service, but I have no idea how much that would cost.

EDIT: Time definite delivery in 4 to 5 business days

58.62 USD

An estimate from the Fedex website. I might not have had all of the sizes right so it's not exact.

3. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Thx, any other options? I'd like to get the P&P costs as low as possible. One more thing, please post links to delivery companies' web pages.

4. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

That's the cheapest option they had, the other one was well over $100.

5. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

By other options I meant other companies providing such services. I heard it can be done a lot cheaper (~25$) but of course no source was given, hence I'm inclined to doubt it but I want to get as much info as I can. Still 60$ isn't all that bad as p&p costs will be split in two (provided I'll see the day this RAM arrives).

6. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

In can be done cheaper, if you trust the US Postal Service. You have several choices, depending on how fast you want to get it, but they range in price from $8.10 (4 - 6 Weeks) up to $21.65 (3 - 5 Days). http://ircalc.usps.gov/speed.asp?Countr ... Contents=1

I have looked into this for others and, while the USPS is not the greatest, it often depends more on the mail service in the receiving country whether the package will arrive on time or not. I sent a package to a friend in Canada and it got lost in their atrocious mail system for several weeks because it was a small package. It should have gotten there in 2-3 days, if the Canadian mail had done their job as well as the US mail generally does theirs. Still, it cost about a third or less of what it would have cost to send it by any other shipping method. Many companies charge a "fuel surcharge" for anything that leaves the continental US which really bumps the price up.

There may be other shipping options, but they are probably not available on the internet. Most likely, they would be contacts available to companies that ship in high volume internationally, so you'll be hard pressed to find those unless the company you are buying the RAM from has such a contact. Most computer parts companies don't seem to bother making such contacts for some reason. Maybe they don't actually ship enough stuff internationally to make it worthwhile.

7. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Thanks for that one, now all I have to do is simply get them to send it. Everyone hold your thumbs :)

8. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I'll have mine pointed down just in case.

Also Sinbad, I once sent a letter to the Middle East (about 1997) and six weeks later when I arrived there, I had beaten the letter by several days. And this was air mail.

9. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I think I had to spend something like 60 SEK for sending a version of Arcanum to Solaris, and it took like.... a week, for it to arrive, I think.

Sweden ain't as remote as Oz though.

Our Host!