hands

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by darkllama, Feb 10, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Ogatai

Ogatai New Member

OKAY PEOPLE SLOW DOWN!!!
    Arcanum doesn't need to get statistically complicated :-?
    Its ver simple why it would be good to hold two guns, but not revolvers.
    Reason?! You can't bloody well reload two revolver very easily.
    Nothing more, no balance crap! That all comes under FIREARMS SKILL.
    Simple the crapper you are at using a gun, the harder it is to hit with a two. And if anyone says anything about cock this can cock that. Than cockaty cock cock cock.
    All cock and no cock makes cock a cock cock cock. All cock and no cock makes cock a cock cock cock.All cock and no cock makes cock a cock cock cock.All cock and no cock makes cock a cock cock cock.All cock and no cock makes cock a cock cock cock.All cock and no cock makes cock a cock cock cock.All cock and no cock makes cock a cock cock cock.All cock and no cock makes cock a cock cock cock.

All cock and no cock makes cock a cock cock cock.All cock and no cock makes cock a cock cock cock.All cock and no cock makes cock a cock cock cock.All cock and no cock makes cock a cock cock cock.All cock and no cock makes cock a cock cock cock.All cock and no cock makes cock a cock cock cock.All cock and no cock makes cock a cock cock cock.

All cock and no cock makes cock a cock cock cock.
    All cock and no cock makes cock a cock cock cock.All cock and no cock makes cock a cock cock cock.All cock and no cock makes cock a cock cock cock.

2. Shadowbird

Shadowbird New Member

Play Quake if you want a simple game. Already in Fallout, skills had quite advanced (for a game) formulas, why wouldn't Arcanum? I'm not saying they should be like in Fallout, but there is rarely a skill that logically depends on only one stat. Ogatai, if you actually think that (DX+AG)/2 is complicated, than an obvious question of your age and grade and/or IQ arises. ;)

That also would go under firearms skill. The more skill you have, the faster you can reload. BTW, Arcanum doesn't have any reloading right now, so it's also possible that it won't have in the future. If it does, you should get a chance to choose which revolver to reload if you have two. That way, you can shoot both of em, but keep reloading only one - gives you a jump-start in the battle, and doesn't slow you down during the rest of it.

Come to think of it, this is starting to call for a holster/draw option... :D

3. Ogatai

Ogatai New Member

I'm not saying don't make it complex. but keep it simple. On the first Arcanum the only thing that stats had to do with skills was that you needed so many to advance that skill futher, and strength to make you strong enough to hold the bloody thing.

And what i ment about reloading, was that you try and hold two"revolvers" and slam six bullets into a well greased chamber while snake runs aroun... :-o I mean, while holding a second gun in you other hand its quite a bit of an annoyance.
    P.S You (AG+AC)/2 is too complex. the games not that sophisticated!!!!!

4. Shadowbird

Shadowbird New Member

I rest my case. :/

5. Ogatai

Ogatai New Member

What the fuck is that supposed to mean!!!!!

6. Shadowbird

Shadowbird New Member

It means that if you honsetly think that getting the average of two stats is complicated formula, then I have nothing else to say in the matter. :)

7. Ogatai

Ogatai New Member

Yes! well if you were listening to what I was saying than you'd realise that arcanum doesn't need mathmatical equations however complex to create gun skills. It just removes the fun out of the game. Plus I hate quake so don't try that on me agian!

8. Shadowbird

Shadowbird New Member

Well, it's not like you have to learn them or understand them or whatever. As a matter of fact, player's should not need to know the formulas at all - the game just says that firearms is based on DX and PE, and that's it - you raise either one of them, and you can raise the skill. It would make the game more realistic, and also more flexible - if you wanted to be good at firearms AND at melee (which, as we know, depends on DX), you could have PE at average, but pump up your DX - the average would level those out, letting you use firearms decently without a very high PE.

Mee to. :) But it's simple. :rifle:

9. Ogatai

Ogatai New Member

Ahhhh... I get what you mean now. Ok if it doesn't involve the player knowing these than its fine withme. I still find problems with the realism of holding two revolvers though.

10. Mangler

Mangler New Member

Uhhhmmm...

a Single Action Revolver, common since like 1870..err something does NOT REPEAT NOT need to be 'Cocked' after firing.
    You pull the Trigger, it shoots.
    You pull the Trigger, it goes click.

a DOUBLE action Revolver, works the same way but you can 'Pre-Cock' the HAMMER (the part that hits the percussion cap) so the trigger is much easier to pull.
    (like a Hair Trigger)

Thays why in OLD WESTERNS when a gunslinger FANS across the Hammer the gun keeps shooting.
    (THAT would be neat in Arcanum, like a low-tech SMG)

If you tried to 'Cock' a Single Action Revolver the Hammer would just fall back and probably fire the cartridge.

Or I'm completely wrong.

11. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Mangler, you are completely wrong.

I have personally fired single action revolvers many times. If you don't cock them, they don't fire. Period.

All revolvers have to be cocked to fire. The difference between a double action and a single action is that a double action revolver will cock itself for you when you pull the trigger. That is why modern revolvers are mostly double action and you see people use them by pulling the trigger to fire.

All the old western revolvers were primarily single action until the advent of the Smith and Wesson Russian 44.

The gunfighters that you referred to who "fanned" their guns often actually tied back the trigger so that they didn't have to pull the trigger. That is why they were just using their hand to cock the gun and it would immediately fire. Those gunfithers were often looked down on by the more professional ones because that very "fanning" motion tended to screw up their aim pretty badly. Think about it and you will realize that hitting a gun with the heel of your hand is not going to improve your aim, especially if you are doing this several times a minute. Their so-called strategy was to spray the area with lead so fast that it was like shooting a shotgun off. Most of them wound up dead fairly soon in real life.

If you want to learn some straight facts about western guns and gunfighters, read a few Louis L'Amour books. He's probably the best and most accurate of the western writers ever and you'll learn a lot.

12. Mangler

Mangler New Member

Yeah, your right... BUT so am I!

I confused Semi-Automatic pistols with Revolvers...oops. :-o

So all those rules apply to semi-automatic pistols... mostly.

Worthless western guns... I hope the next arcanum is in the WW1/Great Depression/Roaring Twenties type era; far nicer selection.

Although I _Think_ there was a primitive Semi-Auto by late 1890.
    THAT would have made a good Tech schematic... something you could NOT buy at a store.

It was like 1896 when _I_ finished Arcanum... too bad there was no ingame tech progression. Hmmm...

13. Ogatai

Ogatai New Member

Uh the great depression happened well after world war 1 and it wasn't the most excitiong either, and how exactly is a world of magic supposed to get stuck in one of those there are other ways to get around the problems they faced y'know.

Our Host!