Orcs

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by a1021, Aug 30, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. a1021

a1021 New Member

I have noticed, that some Orcs especially the Orc-bandits at the Morbihan Plains have the artset of Humans. Is there any way to change this to real Orc artsets? I know how to manipulate .mes-files etc., but this seem to have something to do with the .pro-files wich are a total mystery to me.

2. Shadowbird

Shadowbird New Member

What do you mean? You actually get humans in the Morbihan Plains but the game is saying they're orc bandits?

3. a1021

a1021 New Member

When i wander around in the Morbihan Plains i am randomly attacked by Orc-Bandits (the description says they are Orcs), but they are looking like naked Humans, some other Orcs are also looking like naked Humans. I am looking for a way to make them actually look like Orcs.

4. Shadowbird

Shadowbird New Member

I've never encountered anything like this.

What language version are you using, and have you applied the latest (1.0.7.4.) patch?

5. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

yea, many odd bugs are associated with not having 1074.

Ok, you need undat, and two other programs. You need art2bmp, and bmp2art.

You undat the files until you find the skins of orcs. They are in the .art format, which is uneditable as far as I know. So you use art2bmp and then you have a standard, editable, .bmp file.

If you have a hack installed you should already have a data folder in your Arcanum directory. If not, make one. You need a folder named art. You edit your .bmps to what you want. Then convert them back with bmp2art, since Arcanum can only use .art files. Then you save the edited file in the art directory and Arcanum will pick it up the next time you load the game. Make sure if there is a subfolder you see when you undat it, ex. art/orcs, that you include it. I don't think there is, but I haven't seen it in awhile.

Then a little testing is involved to see if it's taken. If not, double check your work and post back here.

The files are a little complicated, I would suggest getting an artist friend to do it, I've never been good enough to draw them out.

6. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Actually, this is not a case of having to mess with the actual art files, Blinky. :x Besides, the sprite art files are way too complicated for bmp2art or art2bmp to handle. What he needs to do is hunt down what script is messing up his game and fix it so that it will stop mis-identifying the art-file to use for the Orcs.

The art files are all there. The only thing that is wrong is that you have some bug in a script that is causing the wrong one to be used. That is probably harder to find than doing what Blinky is telling you to do, but you can mess the game up a lot worse if you don't find it.

If you have any hacks installed, remove them and see if the problem goes away.

If you do not have the 1.0.7.4 patch installed, DO install it.

If that fixes the problem, then try adding your hacks back, one at a time and see when you have the problem show up again. When you spot the problem again, then you will have identified the hack responsible for the problem. Contact the author of the hack, if possible, and let him know what it is doing so he can fix it. If he's a responsible person, he will want to know about it and will fix it, but it may take him some time to make the fix. :)

7. a1021

a1021 New Member

Oh, i have no hacks installed and i have the German version with the newest patch (and without any no-cd-hacks), and i cant remember that these Orcs ever had the correct artsets.
    Also the only script i can find for these Orcs is the script which controls the dialogs, so i really think it must have something to do with the prototype files, but i havent find a way to edit these yet. So my question remains, how can i do this? Or am i totally wrong and is there a much easier way?

edit: I just realized, that these Orcs are not even orcs in the game, they have no race in the stats and they dont have the race bonuses. I have changed the script, that a Ogre-Destroyer appears with these orcs if you are over level 25, but this Ogre also looks like a naked human, cant wear big clothing, has no race and no race-bonus, and i can remeber seeing two correct Ogre-Destroyer later in the game guarding someone. This is really weird.
    They all have the portraits of animals, perhaps the game treats them as animals?

8. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

I've never seen any of what you are describing personally, that I can remember, but it sounds like you have one of two situations present.

One, your patch is not installed properly, which does happen sometimes, so you might try reinstalling the 1.0.7.4 patch. I've seen other cases reported where people had problems with the patch not installing problem and it produces some really strange gameplay bugs.

Two, you may have an odd bug where some humans are being mislabeled as Orcs or Ogre-Destroyers and this is messing up the proper scripts so that they appear naked. If this is the case, I'm not sure what to do, but I suggest that you try reinstalling the entire game and the latest patch, to see if that gets rid of the problem. If not, then there may be a bug in the German version of the game or patch and you'll need to contact Troika directly and see if you can get some help from them.

Good luck with solving this and let us know what works. :)

9. a1021

a1021 New Member

I have solved this problem. It seems that all the NPC-Prototypes in the German Versions are wrong (I have asked in a German Arcanum Forum and they all have this Problem). And even if you make changes the Arcanum exe changes them back to the wrong ones. oO I now took the prototype-files i found with an english mod and made them write-protected and it works. It is unbeliveable what i have missed. Now i know why the game always seemed so easy, simply because ALL critter had 8 points in everything exept charisma and intelligence and only had 2 ranks in melee and thats it. Now even the magic shool of summoning makes sense as there are now real Orcs, Ogres and Demons and the Familiar is now really a good fighter.
    Also now Orcs, Ogres and females have different sounds than human males its wonderful.
    But i still wonder why the German Version had this Bug...

10. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Glad to hear that you found a solution for the bug, a1021. :) That is really a weird thing to happen and it sounds like whoever setup the German version got really sloppy. That's really a shame. Thanks for posting the solution here for other German players.

Our Host!