More starting location problems

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Ogatai, Aug 30, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Ogatai

Ogatai New Member

Okay I've done the whole starting location thingie but when I select the mod in the options menu the game just quits out of itself.

2. Shadowbird

Shadowbird New Member

It actually quits when you select the mod? Or when you select the mod and then start a new game?

3. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

......never seen that problem before.

Are you certain everything is in the correct folders and file pathways? Are you sure you entered the starting point correctly, you would be surprise how often little typos escape you in scripting.

A friend of mine scripts for Neverwinter Nights, a 2 instead of a 4 made it so that you couldn't get experience if your party level was above 23, and that no monsters rated as over level 20 would spawn, while the game goes up to level 40.

4. Ogatai

Ogatai New Member

It quits whn I select the mod and I go back to the main menu

5. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

That generally means that you have a bad line in one of your mes, script or dialog files for your mod and it is crashing your game. I've seen it most often in mes files. The good news is that it is one of the files that is specific to your mod, not one of the ones for the game itself.

6. Ogatai

Ogatai New Member

Hmm I'm thinking it might have somethig to do with the start location map thingie. Next to the coordinates of your starting location it has the name START_MAP. I'm assuming that is the where you put the name of the map where you start the game. I changed that but I'm not sure if your even supposed to. Or if the map name has to be all capitals.

7. Shadowbird

Shadowbird New Member

Here's what you should have by default:
    Code:
    {5000}{ShopMap, 31, 29, Type: SHOPPING_MAP}
    {5001}{start, 2048, 2048, Type: START_MAP, WorldMap: 0}
    This is what you need to do:
    Code:
    {5000}{ShopMap, 31, 29, Type: SHOPPING_MAP}
    {5001}{<yourMapName>, <yourStartX>, <yourStartY>, Type: START_MAP, WorldMap: 0}
    <yourMapName> is the nanme of your map - case-sensitive - capital and small letters have to be EXACTLY as the map name (that's what I've read in tutorial, anyway, I haven't really tried un-matching cased names).
    <yourStartX> and <yourStartY> are the starting location coordinates.
    If it still crashes, zip/dat/rar your module and send to me, I'll go through the files and see if I can find the problem (PM me to get my e-mail).

8. Ogatai

Ogatai New Member

Our Host!