Leonard Boyarsky on the subject of Troika's post apoc RPG.

Discussion in 'News Comments' started by Dragoon, Aug 25, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

This <a href="http://www.hardwired.hu/leonardboyarsky_int_en.hw">interview</a> done by <a href="http://www.hardwired.hu">Hardwired</a> is an interesting read. Okay, it's very interesting as it's aobut Troika doing post apocalyptic RPG (in relation to 2 screenshots which appeared lately - you can take a look at them at <a href="http://nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8560">NMA</a>. Here's a bit from the interview:
    <br>
    <br><blockquote>Hardwired: In medias res... When did the development started, how far did you get with it and does it have a name or a bountiful shadow cloaks this secret? Why the game is currently put on hold?
    <br>
    <br>Leonard Boyarsky: It's hard to say when "development" started, as we've been toying around with the idea of doing another post apocalyptic RPG for at least a year now, so we've been tossing around alot of design ideas in that time. We really sat down and began thinking about what we wanted it to be when we decided what we needed the engine to do for the style of RPG we wanted to make. We've got a really great editor, a solid rendering engine with full lighting effects, normal and bump mapping, and really beautiful day night cycles, and the art resources we made for the buildings and scenery you can see in those shots. We don't really have a name for it right now, and the game is currently on hold while we finish Bloodlines. Also, we've yet to find a publisher to partner with on it (though we may be getting close).</blockquote>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>Unfortunately we probably won't be getting turn based.
    <br>
    <br><blockquote>Do you have a turn-based or real-time game in mind?
    <br>
    <br>We'd love to do another turn based game, but that's an even more difficult sell than a post apocalyptic RPG. If you put those two things together, publishers run screaming from you. We've been talking about some sort of variation on a real time system with a pause option.</blockquote>
    <br>
    <br>Still, perhaps there is a good, not "mainstream only" publisher somewhere who'll agree to a turn based game.
    <br>
    <br>Source: <a href="www.rpgcodex.com">RPG Codex</a>

2. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Re: Leonard Boyarsky not on the subject of Vampire for a cha

It'd be interesting to know why they do.

3. xento

xento New Member

Oh, what a wonderful place the gaming world would be if the general gamers population didn't reject original ideas, or any games that don't lead you around by the hand.

4. Mangler

Mangler New Member

I don't think that its the Gamers that reject innovative gameplay, but the Publishers and Marketing Corperations that strangle new ideas.

I have always thought that big corperations are anti-innovative.
    They work hard to keep the status quo, and thus crush any new things that might pop-up to disrupt their dominance.

With notable exceptions like Bell labs, this seems to be the case more or less.
    One up for the little guys I guess.

I think Troika should try a Online Distribution or something. It might work.
    Make 2 games, a smaller quicker Online game and a traditional In-a-box game later.
    Worked for Doom I think, once they have enough $$$ from online sales they can do the big-in-a-box PA CRPG game.

Our Host!