How to make sections for the world map?

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by fireant99, Aug 20, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. fireant99

fireant99 New Member

I got the tutorial from zammy and I have no idea on how to divide up the map into equal parts. If you need to know what I am using outside of Word ed let me know. Thanks
    Fireant

2. Shadowbird

Shadowbird New Member

Which map? The actual game map or the drawn world map? And what do you mean by divide - the game map is already divided into sectors (like, when you start a new map, it asks it's size... in how many sectors...). And I don't think I have to teach you how to split a picture...

3. fireant99

fireant99 New Member

Well yeah, unfortunately, I have no idea how to divide the bmp map after you make it a picture. I never use paint or any other picture making tool.

4. Shadowbird

Shadowbird New Member

Then you have a problem. :) I dunno, I myself just use Adobe Photoshop (paint will probably be of no good), but I'm not sure if that's the best for spliting pictures... If you have Photoshop, I could probably direct your hand, so to speak... :)

Here are some things I'm wondering about:
    I'm still a little confused about the world map tile sizes... I know that, by default, one tile is 64x64 sectors, but is it just that way for convienience, or does it have to be that way? Also, does the number of tiles has to be the same both horizontally and vertically, or can it be different? Considering that you have to set the number ot tiles separately for both x and y line, I'd think they can be different.
    And, what about the size of the sector tile (the graphic)? Does it have to be the same as the original Arcanum map, or can I have custom size (and, if yes, how would it cooperate with the sector size)?

5. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

It's a pain in the ass. You find out it's size first. Then you try to divide it into perfect segments.

Like if you have a 1000 x 1000 map, you could make 16 250 x 250 segments. It's hard, you need to work with something that lets you see what coordinate your mouse is at. I know paint lets you, you just need to have it maximized.

6. Shadowbird

Shadowbird New Member

In Adobe Photoshop, you can work with canvas size to split images. It's, too, a pain in the ass, and you have to work with multiple files from the start, but it's precice and you don't have to worry about going wrong because of a mouse glitch or hand shaking.

7. fireant99

fireant99 New Member

Thanks for the help, I figured it out. Damn, it was so easy, maybe it was too easy. Thanks though. I want to get this map up and running, it has been a pain the the a@@.
    fireant

8. team a

team a New Member

for photoshop, use guides. You will be working with multiples of 250 (pixels) so it shouldnt be hard if you have snap to grid on.

1. turn on ruler
    2. right click upper left of ruler to set it to pixels
    3. add guides to divide your segments, based on 250 pixel incriments.
    4. drag and select your map chunks. You dont have to be exact- the guides will make it exact.

Usually, I copy, then start a new document (to check if it's 250 x 250) and paste, then save each one

Our Host!