So, what about your main character?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons Discussion Forum' started by Dark Elf, Aug 28, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Seeing that this section of the forum is more or less dead, I just thought that I could spark some life in it with a new entry...

In ToEE we're going to create a party of 1-5 characters, and even though the game seems to be geared towards putting the company itself in focus rather than pointing out a certain person, you'll sure as hell have a guy in your team that you'll consider being the leader, the protagonist, the über-munchkin or whatever.

So, being as incredibly lame as I am, I decided to continue the tradition of forum-lamers around the world by posting this: what about your character?

My main character will be a Lawful Good Elven Fighter specializing in the use of flails. Basically, it will be the standard fighter setup - max Str, decent Dex and Con followed by average numbers in the cerebral stats, though I'm inclined of taking an above average Charisma score just for the sake of it. Hmm... I'll probably have to roll for a while to get those stats.

This is what I have in mind, roughly. I don't want to go lower than this.

Str: 18

A must. I'll be strolling around in full plate armour, carrying a flail and a tower shield - all of it incredibly heavy stuff. It's also nice to put some fear into the melee attacks. I'll put my bonus points in this stat, having 20 in the end, effectively turning him into the party mule.

Dex: 13

Also a must. 13 Dex will ensure the fullest AC effiency available when skulking around in Full Plate. It's also a prerequisite for the Dodge feat. As with all non-18 stats, I wouldn't mind having a higher score. And since elves get a bonus to Dex, I guess that would be fairly easy.

Con: 12

Of course, I'd like to have a way higher Constitution score, since it would make me harder to kill, but since I'll be playing an elf I guess it will be hard to get anything higher, therefore I'll be completely satisfied with a 12. A 16 would be rather tempting though...

Int: 10

Being a muscle-bound killing machine, I guess I'll have to sacrifice Int somewhat. Being a bit dumb may actually be quite funny, seeing that they have stated how good they are at writing dumb dialog, so I may even settle for an 8, though I wouldn't want to go lower. Of course, a 13+ would be the best, since it would unlock the expertise feat...

Wis: 10

Wouldn't want to go lower, since my Will saves would be hurt. Additionally, it goes against my character idea having low wisdom.

Charisma: 12

It's nice to be somewhat charismatic, seeing that this character will be the leader and all that (though I guess I'll have another character do most of the hard core dialog). It's grand to be able to intimidate people though.

As for the feats, I'll take everything that helps me fighting, such as Weapon Focus/Specialization and all that. The standard setup really.

So, what about you?

2. Sethmage

Sethmage New Member

First let me tell you I will keep re-rolling until my fingers fall off, so I don’t know my exactly points stats. So this aside, my first time trough will be with CE alignment (and of course I will create all 5 members).

1. Fighter – this is bread and butter of any dungeon crawling, he will be too ugly and too dumb to be a leader. If is going to be half-orc or dwarf is it yet to be decided.
    2. Thief – every party should have one. She will be extremely intelligent and dexterous, but definitely not the material for the leader. There is way too many thief skills I want to pump my precious skill points to, so I won’t have any left to upgrade my speech related skills. Definitely halfling.
    3. Cleric – when the shit hits the fun and the body parts are flying everywhere, you need walking hospital to pick up the pieces. No brainer here, wisdom sky high, plus he can be used as back up melee, so still not likely to be a leader. Any class is good.
    4. Sorcerer – when the might fails the magic prevail. Although wizards can change spells every time he goes to sleep, sorcerer has advantage of having more castings. Extremely charismatic, but yet again I have better use of these skill points. Elf most likely.

And finally the leader, very charismatic and intelligent, jack of all trades with the rest of the stats, keeps on talking like there is no tomorrow. Ladies and gentlemen Britney Spears the BARD, she is not only good at talking/signing but the bonus is she can steal your pocket money without anyone noticing. On top of that small spell casting ability and raged weapons.

3. Dark Elf

Media:
    I'll most probably make a party of four to increase the difficulty somewhat. It will most likely be like the party you described, though I'll cut the bard and probably opt for LG alignment - there's nothing better than being a holier-than-thou goody two-shoes right? (besides, nothing could be considered more "munchkin" than giving my sorceress a level of paladin :D )

And I suck at being evil in games like these. Which definately sucks, seeing that it is usually the evil fella's that get all the goodies.

Good Heroes say: "I'm just happy your village is safe. No reward is necessary."

Neutral Heroes say: "Defeating that dragon was difficult... very difficult. Your village's safety is worth it's weight in gold, if you understand what I mean?"

Evil Heroes say: Nothing. Instead, they cut his freaking head off and steal his magic platemail!

Hmmm... guess I'll have to work on developing my evil sides a bit...

4. Sethmage

Sethmage New Member

Sorry, it seems that in rush to replay I wrote CE, what I meant to write was CG as a first time through. In most if not all RPGs being good grants you more quests and therefore more XP.

Yay, you are just fine at being evil. I would sugar talk a guy before killing him. :razz:

5. Dark Elf

Media:
    Very true, but I'm not so sure if this rule applies to ToEE. After all, Troika has stated that an evil party will be perfectly fine. So, I guess there will be just as many quests for villains as there will be for heroes. Which is a good thing, being evil ain't just about slaying everyone in sight (although that undoubtedly has some merit in it :evil: )

Damn it Sethmage! That's even viler than my way of doing it - at least I'm straightforward, not some backstabbing, deceiving, sugar-talking wrongdoer!

I crawl beneath your massive vileness, master :lol:

6. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

yeah but randomly killing people just because you thinks its evil is sort of stupid. you're supposed to be playing an evil character, not a psychotic one.

7. Sethmage

Sethmage New Member

@ Sleek
    In case you didn’t noticed we are having very light conversation about evil possibilities, nobody will go around killing people at random (that’s not evil but stupid as you said it). Who would want to kill a person when his/her shoes are two sized too small, which is why all conversations start with “Could you kindly tell me about yourself�.

No chit chat before killing is very cruel, the person at least feel appreciated for the rest of his/her life (well… in this case literally). If you want to become evil remember: this is full time job, very often with over time. Lying, stealing, killing, abuse alcohol and women (not necessary in that order) can be very exhausting, but rewards… well that we leave for another lesson. :D :D

8. Dark Elf

Media:
    You know Sethmage, from reading your posts, it seems that you've not only been walking on the path of evil, but you've also done some serious speeding on the highway :lol: .

...though I guess that your vileness is dampened somewhat due to the fact that you actually seem to care about the feelings of others. You have to work on that, I guess...

9. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

what in the name of hitler, are you trying to say?

10. Dark Elf

Media:
    I believe he's trying to say that you shouldn't kill someone until you're sure that you can wear his shoes, Sleek.

Besides, he might just accidently reveal were he keeps all his money hidden (by the way, alcohol is a very useful tool here)

11. Sethmage

Sethmage New Member

1. Don’t take everything you read here so dead serious.
    2. For the record: Me and Dark here perfect understand that being evil doesn’t mean to kill all the villagers (but is fun :))

Man, give me some slack here, nobody is perfect. :lol: :lol:

12. Braddoc

Braddoc New Member

Hey there, how's everybody's doing?
    Anyway here's my party (I did a bug cheat to get all 18s so the stats and done)
    My party is Neutral Good, 'cause I get the choise of 4 aligment for my characters

1. Monk, Human Loyal Good: They start bad gets good, at level 6 (what my party is right now) they do up to 10-15 damages, which is good.

2. Fighter 4th level/Barbarian 2nd level, Half-Orc, Chaotic Good. I get a rage per day, plus uncanny dodge, which is good 'cause he's my main missle weapon guy (Longbow +2 and all the weapon feats added)

3. Cleric, Human Loyal Good, St-Culbert: Good basher with that Holy Mace+1, and which Improved turning the best for anything

4.Rogue,Human Chaotic Good: Got that ring of invisibility for the rogue in Hommlet, boots and cloak of Elven kind, so sneak attack very good

5.Wizard, Elf Chaotic Good: Got him a heavy Crossbow and some weapon skills combine with magic, he can hold his weight in battle

13. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

14. sieg_GER

sieg_GER New Member

i just signed up in this forum. on friday i bought toEE via ebay but i didnt recieve it yet- but ive always been a fan of arcanum, so i just bought toEE when i heard its from troika too, without knowing what u r exactly doing in this game... Well i want to have an evil group. In arcanum it was easier: u didnt have to decide if u were good or not and u could do some missions and afterwards kill everybody... that was great! :)

15. Baal

Baal New Member

:p Behold posting to a year old stop gravedigging post. :p

16. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

maybe we should make this our 'annual gravedig' topic :p

[edit]: fixed my emoticon

17. Bunny

Bunny New Member

I'd forgotten how too many similar emoticons together looked.

18. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Another couple of weeks and the traditional annual gravedig thread would have died.
    Luckily I was here to save it.

19. Dark Elf

Media:
    Which reminds me, the D&D section is teh dead, contrary to my assumption it would live up with the release of NWN2.

20. mathboy

mathboy New Member

Yeah, well you didn't try saving it, did you?

Our Host!