User Interface and Character creation

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by ladydawn, Aug 15, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. ladydawn

ladydawn New Member

Hi,

I bought arcanum some time ago but am just getting around to playing the game. I am by no means new to role playing but I find that this interface is not at all intuitive when it comes to creating my character. I do not find the manual helpful at all as far as the actual mechanics of the game. Is there any tutorial out there then can precisely walk me through creating my character? To be honest, I got through the allocating the points to making purchases. That is where I am currently stuck (purchasing). The manual says that it is virtually the same as the barter screen (i am playing a single player game). I don't understand the interface at all and the manual is so into the story it neglects the actual mechanics of the game. Can someone please help me with this? I have literally spent hours on this and have not come up with anything that works for me. Also, how do u save the damn game? I pressed the esc key as the manual stated but when i went back into the game there was nothing saved and i had to start again. I hope I haven't asked any "duh" questions but i am getting extremely frustrated with the whole idea of playing this game and I am trying not to be because I have heard a lot of good things about it and I just figure if I can get past the character creation, I can probably figure out the rest (I hope). I appreciate any info anyone can give me. Thanks.

2. Canis

Canis New Member

1. Install the patch if you haven't already.

2. You can't save the game until you actually start the game, beyond character creation. Also, the quicksave key will come in handy in addition to your named saves.

3. You're having trouble bartering? Did you try picking up the merchant's goods and dropping them into your own inventory?

3. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Making a Character isn't all that hard. You can be a Mage, a Techie, or Neutral. That't where everything else branches off of. Save=F7 If you want to be a mage, put some points to willpower and spells. Fighter-Strength Dexterity, Melee, Dodge.

Catch the drift?

4. SilverKing

SilverKing New Member

Wait... neutral? has anyone done that? what would you use? the only weapon I can think of that's neither tech nor magic is the Power axe. :\

5. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the Power axe is definitely tech, but many of the swords, maces and normal axes are neutral, as well as a few bows. There are also several shields that are neutral.

However, you don't have to give up tech or magic to be neutral. All you have to do is balance them as you play. I generally do just that with most of my characters and find that it works much better for me because then no one faction is antagonistic toward my character because of his/her tech/magic orientation. I'm also usually able to use a lot more magic and tech devices that way, as well as being able to learn spells and schematics that come in handy. Granted, some magic items don't work as well for you when you are neutral, but most of them will still work and the more powerful they are, the better they work.

6. ladydawn

ladydawn New Member

Thanks you all for your input! Going to get the patch and see if i can get the hang of this game by taking bits of everyone's advice. Thanks again!
    LadyDawn

Our Host!