Free iPods?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Neoman, Aug 10, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

On a not-so-side-note, Riciky, you are a gullible motherfucker. I've also always found LCD screens to be easier on the eyes than a CRT with a low refresh rate.

2. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

I did do some research recently and the "gurus" online are still recommending CRTs over LCD screens for gaming and video work. Since I do both, I'll stick with my high refresh rate 19" CRT, thank you, Jarinor.

3. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

4. Riciky

Riciky New Member

shove it jar.

that coulda been me getting that email had more people been "gullible." i mean, seriously, GREEN! sigh. i'll let you all know when my friend gets his i spose.

5. Icairus

Icairus New Member

The fans look nice, the case doesn't, unless you are picking a case for weight.
    I'm a fan of Aluminum cases, they don't box the heat in as badly as Steel ones. I use a massive Aluminum Lian Li.
    CRTs vs LCDs, depends, CRTs will give a better image and have a faster refresh rate and don't tend to get the dead pixels which LCDs do, but LCDs are just so much smaller, and that is a worthy thing.

6. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I didn't recommend using an LCD over a CRT, I merely said that LCD's tend to be easier on the eyes. The response rates of LCD's is still too low for me to pick one up as well. I think I'll just get a real nice 17" CRT in the meantime.

Also Matah, I have a case very similar to that one. It's still an Antec case, but I think it's the next model up, because it has a 430W PSU and came with 3 fans, with space for 2 more. At any rate, if it's at all similar to mine, it's a great case, but I have some other advice for you - get some quiet fans for it! You may think that yes, you can deal with the noise, and those fans sure as hell do push a lot of air, but from my experience with the case, and using fans in the front slots, you will not be able to deal with it. You know why? That case creates one hell of an echo effect in the front fan slots. I've actually disconnected one of my fans in the front, because I didn't need it running (it being winter here) and the extra noise was completely unnecessary.

On the other hand, those fans do move a shitload of air.

7. Riciky

Riciky New Member

i got a volcano 9 off newegg a while back, it's a freakin beast. loud as hell. but luckily it has a nifty little nob that lets me turn it down.

8. Chunky944

Chunky944 New Member

9. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Chunky, resize those images, or I will delete that signature and prevent you from ever having one again.

10. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Yeah, this is the case you have. --> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 115&depa=1

Right?

I was thinking about that one, but I wasn't sure that the paint on it would hold up as good as the lesser model. Does it? I know that Antec Server Cases are heavy, pretty much 35 pounds empty. How's yours?

Those fans still look pretty good to me. They can't be that much louder than the fan I have blowing straight into my panelless crappy off the counter case. My Motherboard is 24.0 C, my CPU is 55.5 C. I know that that can't be good for my CPU. So would you recommend the upper model you have?

11. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

That's my baby...err, case, alright. As for it being the lesser model, I hardly think more fans and a bigger PSU make it a 'lesser' model. The paint is holding up very well on mine, the only parts it's sort of worn off is on the side panel, where the metal constantly rubs against itself when I'm opening or closing it - it's only on the inside, and doesn't bother me at all.

And yeah, if you don't have to/don't mind picking the heavy bastard up, it is a case I'd recommend. It's bloody easy to install new parts, airflow is good and it's a funky colour. The only problem I have with it is the top 5.25" bay - I can't get a drive in there and close the door the whole way. It's still got another 3 or 4 though, so it's no biggy really.

It also looks cool.

12. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

I read lots of reviews on the case and they're all positive, and some complaining about the door not being strong enough. I'm going to go with your model, simple becase of the cpu and the fans. It's worth $20.

Definitely not a lan party case, but not a big deal for me. What kind of cpu do you have in your box? Mine's got a Athlon XP 2600 right now, but I'm selling it right quick. Goodbye crappy Proprietary setup.

13. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I've only got an Athlon 2600, but that's because I was poor when I bought it. Now that I'm not quite as poor, I don't spend anywhere near as much time on my computer as I used to, so I don't need to upgrade for a while yet.

14. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Yeah, my Athlon 2600 is doing ok right now. I have 768 MB's of ram, and I can still run ad-aware, opera, disk cleanup with hardly any lagging. My swap file is set at it's maximum, so that makes things pretty smooth.

15. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I get by on 512MB, but then again I don't run too many things in the background, because my computer isn't exposed to the INTARNET.

On a side note, I ran across the most evil floppy drive ever at work this week. I think this is what it was essentially doing...

1. It would read the first floppy you put in okay, but it would cache the list of files on there.

2. It would then write that list of file names and information about them, to the next floppy you put in there, without actually overwriting the data.

3. This would irretrievably corrupt said floppies - doing a dir listing in DOS came up with the memorable line of ~900k in use, 1.4MB free.

I'm hanging on to this guy, so if anyone pisses me off, and they rely on floppies, and I have access to their computer for a few minutes, a little swap would happen. That, and it will make for great practical jokes on people :).

16. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Thats the most viscious thing I've ever heard, and I'm not joking. Thats fucking terrible. I'm sure anyone who hates floppies as much as I will agree.

Our Host!