The heck is default.exe?!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Canis, Aug 13, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Canis

Canis New Member

Over the past two days I've been getting this prompt to download a file called "default.exe" from http://mmm.media-motor.net/soft/ . Seems to happen just when I'm browsing the T-A Forums. Is this from one of the advertisers or have I got something on my computer Spybot can't find?

It doesn't seem like a reasonable thing for an advertiser to do, if that's where it's coming from.

2. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

1. It's probably an Advertiser thing trying to install on you.
    2. Yes, it is unreasonable.
    3. No, there's nothing we can do about it. That's the price you have to pay for free hosting. Unless we put up a paypal thing...

3. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

4. Canis

Canis New Member

Actually, I am using Firefox. And I'm still trying to figure out how to block Flash ads; I think there's a plugin or something for it but I can't seem to get it to work.

Ah well.

5. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I've been using firefox with zonealarm firewall and it works well. So well actually that I have to use IE for some pup up downloads sites.

Anyways, I'm going to invest in pay hosting in a short while, like next month or so, when I get my first BIG paycheck.

A little patience please.

6. Canis

Canis New Member

*high-five*

I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining; I just wanted to know where the file was coming from.

7. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Get the Adblock extension for Firefox, Canis. It works great for blocking those annoying Flash ads.

8. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Proxomitron works out those problems for me. You can disable flash from Javacool Spyware Blaster 3.2 and prevent spyware from installing while you're at it. Running spybot and ad-aware regularly will keep your system pretty clean. If you're still having problems try Hijackthis and giving the log to me or post it at a forum that offers support for it. I'm not certified or anything, but I can get it right.

Our Host!