Names, and the items you find in the Mystic Chest (Crash S.)

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by NeoSargatanas, Jul 31, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. NeoSargatanas

NeoSargatanas New Member

Most of you know that the name you assign to your character impacts the items that you find in the chest guarded by the Kite Shaman (Crash Site). I'm not sure if sex/race affects it, though. Anyway, post any names that give you decent items.

2. Arronax

Arronax New Member

Re: Names, and the items you find in the Mystic Chest (Crash

I did have a name which gave me the large, medium and small dragonskin armours but i forgot :( so i can tell you one thing...

The name Sir Ron (dont ask) is a rubbish name as it gives u a poison cure

3. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Are you absolutely certain about that? I believe that it is the save file position that has the most impact on what you get in that chest because I have restarted characters using the same name, race and sex in a different save file position and gotten different goodies. BTW, this is much harder to tinker with than you might think. If you find out different, please let us all know the exact mechanism. :)

4. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

It's the name, race, sex and background that affect it, play the same character a few times and you can predict what will be in a chest.

I remember using a Half-Orc female called Violet Winterbloom could get you a set of charmed and mystic platemail. I'm sorry I can't remember the background.

5. Tzaca

Tzaca New Member

it`s random and it diferslittle from chr. to chr.... u can find from money(i found 623)to elven chainmail

6. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

I've done what you are saying, Richard, but I only get the same stuff if I start the character over where they are in the same save position. Starting the same exact character in a different save position gives different stuff, so the save position affects it, too and may have more effect than the other variables.

7. Vorak

Well, my Richard Vorak, Half Orc Mage on the Only Child Background always finds the same items. I must have finished the game with him 5 or 6 times.

8. SilverKing

SilverKing New Member

I use the name Silvio or Silvio Arjunza every time, and I *always* come up with a fist full of potions and one or two gems... so I don't think anything but the name effects it, because I've had everything from half elven technologists to ogre mages named Silvio or Silvio Arjunza, and there was no difference. :\

9. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Well, after a very quick test to double check, Silvio/SilverKing, you are evidently a true sexist who never plays female characters. While your statement is true for a single background for every race, it is ONLY true if you don't change gender. The female characters get a very definitely different set of items than the male characters, so gender definitely affects it.

Based on that observation, I have to wonder just how many different backgrounds you have actually tried and how many slots they occupied in the three associated mes files. The number associated with the background definition may be and probably is just as significant as the name and gender of a character.

The way that Troika likes to play little head games with people in Arcanum to keep you guessing, I wouldn't be surprised if there are multiple variables that are not obvious to the casual observer or to anyone else who does not play multiple games with the sole intent of identifying those variables. That just goes to show that they did a good job of designing the game because it shouldn't be easy for us to figure out how they set it up. :)

10. Solaris

Solaris New Member

I believe the main determining factors are name (probably first 5-10 characters), race and background. Perhaps also gender, I did not experiment with it much.

11. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Actually, from what I saw, race has less effect than any of the other factors. Gender is definitely more important than race. Using a plain, no significant background, I created a character of every race and gender and played them until I got to the Kite's chest at the Crash Site and the Only differences were between male and female, not between races. I didn't bother checking other backgrounds because that was just a quick check, but I'm certain that changing the background does change what you get because I have played other characters who had the same name, race and gender, only changing the background, and gotten different items.

12. Solaris

Solaris New Member

I know that using the same character name and the same background, I get different items depending on race (halfling vs. dwarf, for example).

13. SilverKing

SilverKing New Member

I've just innately gone with Male characters due to the trobles you tend to encounter whilst attempting to get into some areas, and what-not.

14. Vorak

The only one I can think of is the Gentlemen's club and a woman can get in there anyway.

15. SilverKing

SilverKing New Member

I suppose it's a side-effect from'ving dealt with the rude men in FallOut2. :)

16. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

There are actually some advantages to playing a female character in Arcanum. For one, you can get paid for doing the quests for Madam Lil. There are also backgrounds that are only available to females, such as my Fallen Fury background plus some others in my Ship's Cabin and Cargo Hold hack and some that come with the game.

Solaris, you should re-read what I wrote. I specifically checked every race and gender with the same background and the same name and got the same things for all males and the same things for all females with the differences being only between the males and females.

17. wdygfy

wdygfy New Member

this is off topic and I do intend to post on topic but I need to research a bit more first

Meanwhile sinbad I wondered if your ships cabin and cargo hold thing was compatible with cararcanum?

18. wdygfy

wdygfy New Member

ok it would seem that the things that affect the contents of the chest are the first four letters of the name sex of the character and some backgrounds:
    in each of these backgrounds I spent my points exactly the same (although with race and background modifiers some stats were different) putting 1 point dex 2points dodge and 2 melee purchased a rapier and went directly to the chest. I also made exactly the same choices with the dungeon master (car arcanum)

a human male named bbbbb got charmed robe charmed chain minura coin 9gold no significant

a human male named bbbbf same as above no background

a human male named bbbbz same as above no background

a human male named bbbaa 142 gold silver ring emerald ring minor heal no background

a human male named bbbab same as above no background

a human male name babab gave up a minor heal no background

a human male named roland 20gold heal poison minura coin no background

a human male named roland human same as above raised by snake handlers

a human male named roland same as above raised by elves

a half-ogre male named roland same as above no background

an elf male named roland same as above no background

an elf male named roland 206 gold large charmed leather armor charmed dagger heal poison emerald child of hero

a human male child of a hero got the same as no background human male

a half-ogre male named roland charned chain mail charmed dagger minura coin ran away with the circus

a halfling male named roland some gold ruby ring emerald heal poison ran away with the circus
    (interesting that the same name background and sex with a different race changed things this isn't always or even mostly the case in my limited trials)

a human male named rolynd ruby minor heal greater fatigue restorer no background

also tried a human male named aaaaa and a human male named howard no background nothing

a human female named roland with no background gave up 187 coins heal minor wounds heal poison and greater fatigue restorer as did hf raised by snake handlers

tried a character called test human male with no background and got into the game checked the chest recorded the results heal poison heal lesser wounds emerald necklace Minura coin 10 gold and charmed gauntlets. I had saved this character right after talking to virgil so I jumped out of the game fired up the character editor and tried changing all different types of stats one type at a time and the result was always the same stuff in the chest so stats and magic tech lvl and good evil lvl don't affect it at all

19. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Yes, that is WAY off topic! :roll: My hack was aimed at the original game and making life easier for people by consolidating all of the fixes and hacks into one installation file along with some new things that I came up with. I doubt seriously if my hack would be compatible with CarArcanum because I suspect that Chris has already used both file names that I used for Arcanum5.Dat and Arcanum.Patch1, plus there could be other incompatibilities present.

20. Mangler

Mangler New Member

Sinbad, I think I have actually created (my version) of your mod. I took the Weapon fixes of Krupp, Ship/Cargohold and the Machined plate and hacked 'em to all work together (and some more custom hacks by myself). Its a good thing you have taken the time to release and test(?) such a nifty mod. As I don't like some of the changes Chris makes to Arcanum (the first map especially).

Our Host!