Gambling Problem

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by FourHorsemen, Jul 28, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

I was just messing about witha Gambler Type Character when after gambling off about 15 items off a shopkeeper, the SOB started attacking me.

I re-loaded and noticed that everytime I gambled something off someone...their reaction drops, right down to dislake and hatred.

Two questions:

1- Is this supposed to happen?

2 - Is there a way to re-raise their reaction towards me?

2. Grunt

Grunt New Member

Poor losers?

I don't know for sure but maybe they're poor losers?
    :lol:

3. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

What is your alignment? It seems to make sense that their reaction towards you would drop when you beat them, but if you're good and therefore start out with a better reaction you might have less of a problem. You could try wearing things to get a better reaction, such as the fancy dress or whatever. Beauty also helps your reaction, so try to be beautiful if you possibly can. (Certain items will increase your beauty) Or you can use your fate points to force good reactions.

Edit: I believe it's normal for their reaction to drop when you beat them. When playing against the sailors on the docks, their reaction towards me always drops when I beat them but raises when I loose to them.

4. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Put on a smoking jacket, that's +20 reaction. Better yet, be a gnome :D

5. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

When you WIN only their reaction drops and yes this is what the developers intended.

6. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

7. Question

Question New Member

Dont want to start a new thread, so im using this...how do you raise their reaction again? It doesnt seem to raise with time...

8. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

No NPC reaction to the player character will raise with time. Only with proper dialogue choices can you up a character's reaction, which is not possible with every given NPC. You'll have to deal with winning so hard in one of two ways;
    Stop gambling
    Win til they want to kill you, then...kill them.
    But you would probably have been safe starting a new thread for this one. Mostly due to the date of the last post before yours.

9. Question

Question New Member

10. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

only if you were a gnome (whenever you drop the spell they gain a +10 rxn to you) or if you use meta-abuse to make the Charm permanent.

Purity of Water can help raise your beauty temporarily too.
    If you're a gambler, you just have to expect a limit to how much you can get away with.

11. Grossenschwamm

Gambling is rather realistic. Say you've won a sword off of a blacksmith. He won't like that too much, but he'll still talk to you. Press your luck and keep winning, he'll like you less. Sure, it's probably a little bit his fault to keep trying despite your ineffable winning record, but he's a gambler, and it's in his friggin' blood. There are many things that can be forgiven, but when someone realizes how stupid they are to keep gambling when all they do is lose to YOU, they're likely not to forget and just get pissed off every time they see your face. How would you react to someone who gambled nearly 6000 coin of merchandise off of you and had the nerve to keep coming back into your store?

12. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

I agree with Grossenschwamm, I think the implementation of a reaction penalty to successful gambling is good.

So is acknowledging a grave dig acceptable? I like the recycling of the seven-year-old thread.

13. Grossenschwamm

I'm honestly not sure. I saw the date of the first post and remembered that this thread only had one page. I had also NEVER seen it before, even when I had just joined. Though, Question had a uh...question relevant to the nature of the thread, despite the last post occurring over 7 years ago. I have no authority outside of GD, so I just made an aside and attempted to answer the query to the best of my ability.

14. Question

Question New Member

Well, shouldnt reaction with the merchant raise if you buy/sell frequently from him?

15. Grossenschwamm

You might think that, because that's what happens in real life, right? Nope. You're walking money. Store owners act like they like you because you buy things in their establishment. The relationship turns social when you spark conversation, become interesting, and literally become more than a talking ATM. Given that dialogue is limited with most store owners in Arcanum (save for those who give quests), you can't expect to become anything more than the polite shopper who's a frequent customer, or that bastard/bitch who's got the luck of the devil.

16. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

What is it about gnomes I wonder. Do they just seem so silly that you like them no matter how nasty they are, like oompa-loompahs?

17. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

♪ Oompa, Loompa, doom-pa-dee-do
    We'll kidnap all your women from you
    Oompa, Loompa, doom-pa-dee-dee
    Rape the shit out of them with a glee ♪

18. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I always thought it was because they're sort of the upper class race, so people are inherantly submissive to them not matter how much of a dick they're being. Though I guess this doesn't really work with the idea they faced so much racial discrimination in the past.

19. Question

Question New Member

Well i dont really see any need to get gambling...haggle is easier(usually), doenst piss shopkeepers off and by the time i cleaned out kree, i had 50k gold or so(and shops didnt really stock anything i wanted to buy anyway).

I find it really weird that magnus can only make normal sized armor and the best large sized armor is guard leather though.

20. Grossenschwamm

I'm not sure if something went wrong when Magnus was made, but normally the size of the ingredients determines the size of the final product as far as armor is concerned. Give a large armor as a starting item, get a large armor when the final product is made. Same goes for small or medium.

Our Host!