Brazilian woman surrenders 1300 guns

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Solaris, Jul 24, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Brazil gun amnesty nets huge haul

A Brazilian woman in Sao Paulo has handed almost 1,300 firearms to the authorities, claiming $65,000 under a government disarmament scheme.
    The woman, whose cache ranged from muskets to mortar shells, told police her late father was a gun collector.

The haul was collected from her home in a heavily-armed police truck.

More than 7,000 weapons have been surrendered across Brazil since the campaign launch last week, in which the government pays citizens for weapons.

According to the United Nations, Brazil has the world's fourth-highest murder rate, with 40,000 gun-related murders last year.

Under the scheme, payments range from $33 for a pistol to $100 for an assault rifle.

Anyone can hand in a weapon before the end of the year without fear of being questioned or charged with illegal possession.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3922177.stm

2. Aries Shion

Aries Shion New Member

Ahh, this saddens me. Unless that woman lives away from a favela who is she going to defend herself from ne'erdowells? Using harsh language?

3. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

God damn. That's like taking away your balls! No one is going to take my guns.

4. xento

xento New Member

Well, if someone takes away your balls, then you can still use your "gun".

"This is my weapon; this is my gun. This is for fighting, and THIS is for fun."
    - Child's Play 3

5. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

They really have to say that in some bases if they call their rifle a gun.

6. Solaris

Solaris New Member

All 1300 of them???

7. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

This saddens me, too. Another country that's about to see their crime rate leap. I don't see how people actually think that by taking guns away from honest, law-abiding citizens, they will lower crime. All that's happened now is the populace is now been left defenseless against an armed robber/rapist/murder.

An unarmed population is an easily dictated one.

8. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Leap??? Just how much higher can it leap?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3108544.stm

Brazil is not at war with anyone, nor is there a civil war in the country, but last year 40,000 Brazilians were killed by bullets.

Armed violence is the main cause of death among young men in the 15 to 29 age group in Rio.

It is also claimed that doctors in some of Rio's big hospitals see more gunshot victims than doctors in war-zones in other countries and that more children die from bullets in Rio than in conflict zones.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2247608.stm

A study published in Brazil concludes that more young people below the age of 18 are killed by guns each year in Rio de Janeiro than in many areas of the world formally at war.

The study concludes that there are strong similarities between children involved in drug wars in Rio's slums and child soldiers elsewhere in the world.

...The levels of violence are comparable to a war zone.

In the last 14 years, for instance, almost 4,000 under-18-year-olds were killed by firearms in Rio alone.

That compares, the report says, with just under 500 children killed in the fighting between Palestinians and Israelis in the same period.

There are estimated to be between 5-6,000 armed children in Rio.

No wonder they want tighter gun control. Of course it is not the guns' fault that Brazil is in such a lousy state of affairs now- but when the number of guns out there exceeds the "critical mass" and any nutcase can lay his hands on an SMG, it does create a problem. I am not one to advocate zero tolerance gun control- but even good things are only good in moderation.

9. xento

xento New Member

But those who don't abide by the law will still be able to get the guns they want.

10. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Yep, there will always be weapons in the wrong people's hands. Like what retard said, now more of the population is unarmed. Meaning a robber could go break in without having to worry about being shot.

11. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

*sigh* that quote actually comes from Full Metal Jacket... Child's Play just jacked it, that's all.

12. Aries Shion

Aries Shion New Member

But remember Solaris that the greatest danger in Brazilian streets are Favelas not random robbers/rapist/murderers. I would be scared if a poor, ignorant mob got pissed off. With some Favelas counting more than a hundred thousand residents, I would say they are dangerous.

13. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

I think the point of this campaign is so that people that have unlegall guns might give them in against money. This reduscing the amounts of guns out there.

A populace that needs guns to stay undictated must be a stupid one.

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Dangnabbit, rosie, you beat me to it...As if the third movie in a line of cheesy horror movies could come up with a line THAT good.

15. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

although personally, i enjoy cheesy horror movies... and Child's Play is among the best out there. i mean, it's a DOLL for crying out loud! just kick the fucker!!!

16. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

Well, you both beat me to it. That movie is awesome.
    "Do you suck dicks private, are you a Peter-fucker?"
    "Sir, no, Sir!'
    "Bullshit! You could suck a golf ball through a garden hose!"

I think it's good that guns are illegal in Australia. True it leaves the general populace at a big disadvantage to someone with a gun but when guns are legal it's easier for nut cases to get their hands on them. In Australia you have to have the right connections and be careful if you want to get a gun. I think there was an incident that Michael Moore took advantage of in Colombine or something. Well that can't happen in Oz and if someone does have a gun the cops fall down hard on it because it's far more serious offence here.

True a person would be defenceless against and armed mugger or gang in the street but that's the same as anyone gun or not if the attacker has their gun out first. And I don't think Americans with guns walk around with them on the streets so it only does you good if you're awake and at home, being robbed.

Rant over.

17. Aries Shion

Aries Shion New Member

Thats a negative if you have CONCEALED CARRY license. If one buys a gun and does not train oneself in its use, one IS a moron. You buy a weapon for defense and that defense implies effective use of said weapon. You practice drawing, aiming and all that. The only moment you should not have your gun on you is when you are forbidden to do so. A gun has to be on you to be of any good but some people apparently forget that.

Our Host!