I can be such a moron

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Chili, Jun 25, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Chili

Chili New Member

It's absolutely unbelievable... I've misplaced my lockpicks. I started to create as good a human thief character as I could think of, and bought a set of +5% lockpicks to use instead of the crude set I got to start out with, and now both of them are gone. How, how, how does anyone manage to lose two sets of lockpicks!? And now I need them! I need lockpicks for a quest, but much more importantly, I need them to break into snotty shopkeepers' stores and steal all their money.

So... someone please help a clumsy thief out here. Where can I buy a new set of lockpicks?

2. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Maybe the black market dealer in Tarant (if you've joined the thieves guild...)

3. DEATH AT THE DOOR

DEATH AT THE DOOR New Member

You can find it in the garbage bin by 11 Ten Hands Alley (or was that Avenue?).

4. Chili

Chili New Member

5. Chili

Chili New Member

Okay, I now have a set of lockpicks, and I'm becoming very good at using them... lockpicks combined with a high prowl skill, and there's not a shop anywhere that is safe from me. Yay! Marx was right, redistribution of wealth is good for society. Or at least for me.

There is one tiny thing that bothers me though. When I break into stores to steal from them, I notice that the shop owner often puts all of days earnings in his pocket whenhe goes to bed. No big deal, I am very good at emptying other people's pockets as well, so I prowl up next to the bed and pickpocket them. And discover that I can only steal 100 coins at the time. What the f...? Where's the logic in that? Wouldn't it be more reasonable to assum that I can lift a whole purse from a sleeping man, than to assume that I am only capable of dipping into the purse's contents a little at the time? Of course, the ian reason this bothers me is becuase I want all the 5699 coins in the purse, and to pickpocket a sleeping man 57 times becomes tedious very quickly. Yes, I'm aware I could just slit his throat and have him dead before he even wakes up, but I need to sell things to him later in the game.

So, long story short, is there a patch somewhere that makes it possible to pickpocket whole purses and not just handfuls of money?

6. floyd

floyd New Member

Just sleep/wait until morning and the money of the shopkeeper should be in his trunk. That's how I do it, and it usually works just fine. Instead of having to pickpocket him for like 57 times, you will only have to do this trick once or a couple of times to get the same amount of money.

There's no time-limit in Arcanum, so you can sleep/wait for as long and as often as you like.

7. Chili

Chili New Member

Break in, sit tight, snooze until morning, and empty the trunks. Okay, I think I can do that. Thanks :)

8. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

From memory the amount you can steal/pick pocket is dependent on either your skill level ( 1, 2, 3...) or your title level (apprentice, expert...), So try raising either and see if the amount you can pilfer increase's as well.

9. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Who steals money, anyway? Even when I do learn pick pocket (usually when I play a magick oriented char) I'd rather steal and sell a scroll or two. Or blow up a Wise Woman with dynamite (carefully so she wouldn't get mad), loot her for all her tens of thousands of coins and then resurrect her to deal with her later in the game. The game has 3 or 4 dynamite sticks avaliable- that's a lot of money :)

10. Chili

Chili New Member

It's fun, Solaris. What other reasons do I need?

11. Zoma

Zoma New Member

if you pick locks your a tech theif and if your a tech theif why not create a damned skeleton key its +10% thats 5% more if not have magnus do it for ya if your not that evil.

12. Chunky944

Chunky944 New Member

13. Zoma

Zoma New Member

no trust me its 10% make one yourself or make magnus make one for ya

14. Chili

Chili New Member

Two things:
    1) Not a techie thief, I'm an elf mage.
    2) I'm in Blackroot, long, long before Magnus has even shown up. He won't be high enough level to make me a skeleton key in an even longe rwhile yet.

Honestly, if I that was an option, would the lack of lockpicks be a problem to me? :roll:

15. Solaris

Solaris New Member

That's what trains are for :roll:

Our Host!