Prowling = Crash

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Coin, Jul 3, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Coin

Coin New Member

Er... Is it just me? I'm in Jongle Dunn's house, I wait 'til hes asleep (aaah, bless), then start prowling. But as soon as I start, the game stops. Fortunately it moves every few seconds or so, so I can get out of prowling.

Help?

2. Baal

Baal New Member

You Suck...

Try defragging your computer.

3. Coin

Coin New Member

So Do You...

Yeah, it's not my computer. Defragged it a few days ago and cleaned it up etc etc...

Its the game...

4. Silpion

Silpion New Member

I have similar problems. After playing a few hours, sometimes the game suddenly freeses for up to a minute while the hard disk is heavily working. After that, I can play again for a couple of minutes untill it freezes again.

Sounds like a memory leak. Nothing we can do about but restarting the game... which takes again a whole lot of time. Sometime I have to wait three minutes till the game continues from the menu to the windows desktop. :(

5. Coin

Coin New Member

No... Its just when I prowl in Jongle's house.... Rest of the time its smooth.

6. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Silpion, you sound like you might benefit a lot from a memory and video card upgrade. Even then, you might have a few problems with slowdowns unless you configure things properly for Arcanum because it is picky about video settings and will really slow things down if they are not just right.

Coin, I've never seen or heard of your problem before, but it certainly is interesting. I wish I had some good, helpful advice for you, but I don't remember ever prowling in Jongle's house. I usually just whack him if I want to get something he has, but then I'm a bit ruthless and cold-blooded in the game.

7. Silpion

Silpion New Member

Thanks, I'll try some different settings and see how it works.
    I have a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 128MB and 512 MB RAM... I thought that would be enough. Buying new PC parts is not an option until the end of this year (exept if something breaks). :/

8. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

That should be plenty of RAM and that's a very good video card. I think it's your settings that need adjustment. There is a lot of discussion about this on the Sierra Arcanum site, but you have to do some careful searching to find it. I had to play with my settings a lot to get rid of a lot of the slowdowns, but finally found that most of them are caused by the video settings more than anything else, if you have a good card and enough RAM.

9. Coin

Coin New Member

Found aother bug >.<. In the boil, one of the guys guarding the Maug wharehouse isn't possible to loot, it just closes.

I can kill him though. Pretty annoying.

10. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

unfortuanately, Arcanum has a tendency to be really buggy... if you're lucky, it'll install with all pertinent parts, if not... well, suffice to say i've encountered a game where i was missing about half the NPC's... made it tought o finish any quests...

Our Host!