Should I pay?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Sebow, Jun 27, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sebow

Sebow New Member

I'm on my way to Thanatos... obviously I see the only solution as paying 50,000 (to buy that ship in Black Root)

Now I just thought it was something Troika games did to prevent people from rushing further in the game without having completed a certain amount of missions (subquests) ahead...

Well I got a little bit more than 51,000... and surely I could pay for it

I'm just not certain, should I pay or is there some other way to come to Thanatos? (or eventually some other way to get that ship without paying that enourmous amount of money?)

2. Role-Player

Role-Player New Member

Well, there are, that i recall three ways to get there. One is the one you mentioned, paying for the boat. Now, you can pay the 50k fee, but if you would like to have it back, just pay the chap and kill him right after. IIRC, he'll have all the money you gave him on his corpse, so if you want, that's an opportunity. Likely, the easier one.

Also note, that if you have a high Haggle skill, you can reduce the fee from 50k to 25k.

_There's also the chance of helping Bates' boat captain, Teach, out of a bind. Ol' Teach has a gambling problem and this time he gambled too much - he gambled his boat. Now, if you have a high Gambling skill, you can see where this is heading, right? :) Just go to the Sour Barnacle in Black Root, and talk to Teach, who will direct you to the person he gambled the boat with.

_Then there's the last, harderst way (which also happens to be the most rewarding). You need to confront an undead pirate, Stringy Pete, and take his boat.

IIRC, there is a mention of the location of Pete's cove in Ashbury or Black Root. Ask for rumors and people will tell you the location of the cove, or something that can lead you to it. I never do this, i go directly to his location, so apologies for not remembering that part. If you want to go directly there, than just select the text below for the location; if you care to wait, then perhaps another forum user can tell you how to 'normally' get there via following game clues.

I believe his location is in 682W, 1341S.

Regardless, when you get there, there will be an undead pirate just standing there, with a boat behind him. Keep yer respect yer land lubber, yer tresspassing on ol' Stringy Pete's remains! When you talk to him, in a non-belligerent way, you'll realize that Pete's not exactly fond of his current situation. He's actually cursed.

You have two possibilities. One is the more obvious - kill Pete and his croonies (which i believe are 6 level 50 undead pirates). Take note, this fight is one of the most difficult ones in the entire game, even harder than the endgame 'boss'. The undead are very resistant to damage, and can kill unprepared characters in the blink of an eye.

The other possibility is just talking to Pete and listening to his plight. He'll mention his curse, and the way to break it by doing three 'simple' tasks (hint: you'll need a shovel for one of them). Agree to do so, get the details for each task, and solve them. When you get back to him after solving them, he'll give you the boat.

3. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Not to mention that they are all armed with Arcane swords. And it is THE toughest fight in the game.

There is one more possibility though, if you're patched at least. There is this guy, Salty Ceadric, who appears in the Black Root tavern. He has a map with the location of Stringy Pete's Cove in his pocket, and it can be stolen.

4. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Yeah, it is a bloody tough fight, but all you have to do is kill Stringy Pete and run to the helm of the ship and get the hell out of there.

5. Silpion

Silpion New Member

For a magic user it isn't really difficult. Just use the disarm spell and those pirates will have a hard time scratching the armor of your companions. :D

6. Baal

Baal New Member

All a mage hast to do is walk on to the boat, place a wall of force or two on the ramp, then pull out your bow and shoot them all down from safety.

7. Arronax

Arronax New Member

Actually the hardest fight is the first kite shaman :eek: ....nah its stringy pete, i killed him by doing tons of firelashes

8. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Don't post in threads that have been dead a long time. Us crusty coots of the House of Lords refer to it as "Gravedigging" and it's not a good way to introduce yourself.

Carry on. :)

Our Host!