Deutschland, Deutschland uber alles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sea Dog, Jun 25, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

Well, I'm off to Germany for four weeks as part of my political
    're-education'. Hopefully I'll learn lots of life skills like how to cremate jews the most efficient way etc. I plan to buy a poster of Hitler as well. Adios

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Why do you go now, when you could go in October?

3. jankiel

jankiel Member

Heh October in Germany rules. I mean so much beer... :)

4. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Must be quite easy to buy. When I was looking for an English edition of Mein Kampf for a certain historical research, I had to write to my friends in Germany in order to get one (trying to find it here in Israel in English or Hebrew was a total waste of energy, although nothing is easier than finding the same book in Arabic in the East Jerusalem book stores :roll: )
    Have fun, either way. Where will you be staying in Germany?

5. DEATH AT THE DOOR

DEATH AT THE DOOR New Member

6. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

There was a copy in English at my school library. I carefully avoided reading it though.

I envy every single person who is in Germany in October.

7. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Well, I've read it. With difficulty. Hitler was a lousy writer really. There is hardly a better ani-Nazi propaganda for intelligent people than reading Mein Kampf and laughing. The weirdest thing to discover was how much Hitler hated and feared France. I am under impression that it is France who he saw as Germany's most dangerous enemy.

8. Aries Shion

Aries Shion New Member

France? They always surrender when I send in a catapult in age of kings.

9. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Don't diss France. I play France in Civilization III, and they make a damn good nation. Motorized infantry in 1700 and all that :lol:

10. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yeah, I got turned off by Civ again for the past few days. Maybe it had something to do with me getting a shitty placement at the start, and watching the second player always getting the best one. I would seriously love to know how the computer manages to rapidly expand, build a huge army, create an impressive culture AND stay at the forefront of scientific research. Most of them are dirt poor, but that doesn't stop them from not needing to sell off city improvements.

11. Silvara

Silvara New Member

What level are you playing at, Jar? It shouldn't be so hard to beat the computer...

12. gamenut

gamenut New Member

that or jar just really, really, really sucks at civ3 :)

i never really have a problem... i just build a ton of settlers early on and spread out as fast as i can before focusing on other aspects such as science, buildings, politics, military, etc... note that i never set the barbarians as a roaming horde or whatever so it's a lot easier

13. Milo

Milo New Member

I had to stop playing Civ because the diplomacy after the patch was so exploitable that my weak ass couldn't help but abuse it every time I started losing.

Especially with France. All I had to do was spend a minimum amount on researching the shittiest, most useless techs, and I could trade them for stupid amounts of techs and good shit from the computer's civs that I was an economic & military powerhouse pretty early in the game. This was on Regent (or whatever the middle was) level, I think. I should probably try it again on a harder level, but I lost interest in the game a long time ago. Can't wait til Civ 4 comes out, though.

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Man, with the 1.29f patch it is so not working out for me. Everytime I meet the computer, in the time it's taken me to research two or three techs, they've gone and done half a dozen more than me...and that's without meeting another computer first either. The only way I'm ever able to catch up is through the Great Library. Once I get that, I'm usually okay.

I also play on Regent, and I divert all of my resources into building settlers until I can't possibly expand anymore. I once played one game where I didn't build a single military unit until the 1700's.

But yeah, I've been able to get ridiculous late game trades for techs. I got a couple ahead of the computer, and traded one tech to Greece for about 500 gold a turn, and a luxury. Eventually, I had so much money coming in from other nations as payment for techs, that I was able to turn to 100% science and live off all the other guys. How they were able to pay me and afford their armies I'll never know :D.

15. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Any scientific civilazation has a better chance of getting a tech when they pop a hut. This really helps the AI players as they will trade with each other & freeze you out.

The Library is an uber piece in the early game. I always try for it first. I love getting it when everyone else is way ahead in tech. Suddenly I jump an era.

Same method, trade & sell techs, make your living off the computer opponents, 100% science whenever possible. I play at King.

16. Settler

Settler Member

Well, I just proceeded to beat the almighty cheese out of the French in MTW, after they launched three, count 'em, THREE Crusades on me. I'm at war with Germany, the Papacy and the Cheese-Eaters, and holding up pretty well :).

17. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

It's been ages since I had a really good war. I really hate early wars - they slow your development and expansion quite a bit, unless you're already hemmed in that is - but I'm quite a fan of wars in the late Industrial/Modern ages. It was great when I nearly wiped out the Zulu in only 6 or seven turns thanks to my 50 odd modern armours and military alliances with the Greeks and Babylonians, who also happened to be their neighbours :).

18. Settler

Settler Member

France - defeated (twice).
    Germany - poleaxed (four times).
    Papacy - gone (five times).

The UK is next :) ...I'm just hoping the Horde softens up the Byzantines a little...

19. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

20. Settler

Settler Member

The Italians. It's my second time playing on Normal - the first time I bit off more than I could chew as the Egyptians by taking on both the Spanish and the Byzantines (plus the Germans and French) at the same time. I would've beaten them, if it weren't for my disloyal bastard of a populace : ).

Our Host!